RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: my MOSIN and me ........the oddessy!

Boolit Buddy

my MOSIN and me ........the oddessy!

Well
    I was lucky and scored 2 mosin m91/30 that have matching numbers, Mint crowns and perfect bores.... BUT i cannot see iron sights worth a damm.....So I put a scout scope mount on one with an NC star 4 power LER scope, and being a Cheap SOB i made a cheek riser from 2 layers of waterpipe insulation and a velcro wrap around camo buttstock ammo holder! ITS fun and useful! and looks like hell!
    now on the the fun! using a lee 185gr gascheck 303 mold dropping @.315 and ACWW using Alox thinned 25% with mineral spirits and one teaspoon of JPW tumble lubed said boolits and loaded in win brass over 24.0 grains of ACCURATE ARMS 5744 I shot THree different 5 shot groups today All of them are under 1/2 a dime @ 50 yards!!!! people@ the range today could not believe it! I can Squirrel hunt with IT! I have not been this excited shooing in a while!
    sorry so long i had to share!
    Indymadcaster

Boolit Buddy
    LOL and the bore looks like it was just clean as if i had wiped it!!!!!!!!!!YES i have found the HOLY grail fellow boolit casters

Banned

Those Mosins are great. I have one with a mint bore that is every bit the equal of my mint bore O3A3 accuracy wise. The commies may have built crude stuff, but it the case of the Mosin Nagants they work.

While the M91 action is "clunky" to operate, they are far stronger and safer than the M1903.

I plan to start working with a M44 at some point. I'm considering the LEE 155gr, it works so well in my Mini-30.
    Thomas Paine:
    “To argue with a person who has denounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”

Banned

The Lyman 311284 works great in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Me not you View Post
    While the M91 action is "clunky" to operate, they are far stronger and safer than the M1903.

I plan to start working with a M44 at some point. I'm considering the LEE 155gr, it works so well in my Mini-30.
    Might want to slug the bore - I know some Mini 30's used .308 barrels and some Ruski stuff has real large bores. There is a group buy about a Lee/Harris 155 clone but you can get in larger sizes.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=130593

Boolit Master
    indymadcaster,

Very Good!!!

When the dust had settled, I had five Mosins bought .......... two "44's", two 91/30 and an M38.

The "38" is my favorite followed close by my 91's.

A friend told me about his experience with the M44s and that everyone he'd seen would keyhole at close range with milsurp ammo (or anything else for that matter). That scarred me into buying the 91's and the M38.

Well long story short, those M44's shoot fine right along with the other Ruskies!

Three 44s

Boolit Grand Master

Like my Mosins! Have a 91 and 38, and both like 311284 as cast about .314 with Can.Red, over 16 gr. 2400. Not a recommendation, but works for me.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

indymadcaster congrats on you success,I pretty much got the same results in my M44 using the Lee 165 gr. GC TL bullet. My bore slugged out at .312 and the Lee bullet drops right at .314 from the mold. I use the 2400 and Red Dot loads Universal loads.

Which scope mount did you use? I'm using the S & K scout mount with lock in rings with a NC Star 3 x 7 x 32 scope and it's been rock solid. My brother has the same setup on his 91/30 for about 5 years now with no issues. If I put together another Mosin project I'm thinking about going with a 3 MOA Red Dot sight this time around.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indymadcaster View Post
    Well
    I was lucky and scored 2 mosin m91/30 that have matching numbers, Mint crowns and perfect bores.... BUT i cannot see iron sights worth a damm.....So I put a scout scope mount on one with an NC star 4 power LER scope, and being a Cheap SOB i made a cheek riser from 2 layers of waterpipe insulation and a velcro wrap around camo buttstock ammo holder! ITS fun and useful! and looks like hell!
    I mounted a scout scope on my prebubbarized MN and went cheap all the way, but turned out great for what i wanted. Most of the cheap MN scout mounts leave a lot to be desired, this is the way I did for a rock solid mount.

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/early.html#