Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Repackbox

Thread: Ruger's new 1911

Banned

Ruger's new 1911

Anybody seen it? Handled it? Bought one?

I've only seen it on the Internet and gun rags. I wonder if it really exists?
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Grand Master

I have handled several, not shot one. Very nicely done. I tend to think that if one wants
    a baseline good 1911 these days, you would spend more in most cases to get an equal gun.
    I am a huge fan of the Dan Wesson 1911s, but they are around twice as much and if you
    want a more affordable, yet quality 1911, I would estimate that the Ruger would serve
    well.

Also, IME, Rugers work and don't break, so I suspect that the same will hold true here.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Mold
    I bought one. great gun no problems shot some pins with it. very tight fit and finish all I need to do is add a ambi safety.

Banned

reason I ask is I saw it on Guns and Ammo show on TV. Looked nice, but no price with it.

Banned

ive shot two differnt ones and both ran great and were accurate. Good gun for the money.

I handled one at a gun shop and it was pretty nice. The salesman remarked that it was the next gun on his 'must buy' list. Apparently, they were having a hard time keeping them in stock, though. That means that people must like them.

I have one. Haven't shot it much, but it performed well and functioned when I have.

Very well finished -- cosmetically. Not so much in the function department.

Needed significant polishing to the ramp on the firing pin retainer and bottom front of slide where it goes over the disconnector. Hammer face very rough. Mainspring and recoil spring overly heavy. All these combined made pistol difficult to rack in stock configuration.

Slide stop cut is through the rail, which really cheapens the gun IMHO. There's also something wrong with the magazine release that needs attention. Magazines are very hard to insert into gun. I plan to change this part out when I get some time.

It is accurate and everyone I've shot with who has one reports excellent accuracy.

I also have Springfield 1911s and Colt's 1911s. I would rank the Rooooger last in that group.

I think it will turn out to be a good 1911, but time will tell. Can't beat it for $600 -- unless you get a deal on a Springfield.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Buddy came over and compared his to my 45s. I have 2 Colts and 1 Sig. The Ruger did not compare well at all. When stripped it was real disappointing. Very Rough.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Banned

RIA's are hard to beat at the moment for $400.

If Ruger comes out with a Commander size 1911, I'm going to be the first in line.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Grand Master
    August, the slide stop cut completely through the rail is standard on nearly every 1911 made nowadays.

One of the very few that does not have this cut is the Colt Series 70 reproduction. Their 80 Series has the cut as do Kimber and a whole lot of others.

Hopefully you did not significantly round the "firing pin retainer" (more properly known as firing pin stop) if it was a small radius at the bottom. A small radius stop is more desirable than a large radius stop, and makes the pistol more reliable.

It does make it slightly harder to cock with the hammer down, but if the Ruger comes from the factory with the small radius stop (I don't have one so I do not know if this is the case) it is not a mistake, but rather a very desirable benefit.

If it has the standard radius and was simply very rough, then my comments are off base and you may ignore them as I probably would have polished it as well. The part may be MIM and these tend to be rather rough.

Boolit Grand Master

Colts used to crack the frame where the slide stop was cut. It didn't hurt anything and would
    never travel further, but Colt started cutting them through to avoid having to replace a
    perfectly good frame because it was cracked. The full cutthrough is absolutely normal now.
    If you shoot it enough, it will crack unless it is cut through, in which case it will never crack.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

have shot one. shot well. when they first came out. Ruger has improved on them a lot sense then they well retail around $620.00 its not a custom pistol but pretty darn great for the price. yes their are cheaper ones out there. but not with what rugers have on theirs. also they are the seris 70 colt type copy. GD

Were are you guys finding these rugers for 600ish all of them that I've found are 700~800 range, with 725 being the common.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Master
    Blammer, I had one for about a month or so. I fired near 1000 with it, and it was great. In fact, I miss it.

The story goes: I was super excited to grab the new ruger that I got on two waiting lists. One required $100 down, the other was free. The free one came in first. I bought it, shot it, loved it, but sold it (for no loss), because I was afraid the paid waiting list would come-due. I couldn't afford two of 'em, so it was sold.

I'm still waiting.

It's a very nice gun.
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.