Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help on mauser carbine

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tadeus View Post
    I just got a 7 x 57 small ring Mauser 98 carbine, manufactured by DWM Berlin. Has a 19" barrel. While the action is in excellent condition the barrel is very pitted (useless). Originally I was thinking in converting it into a sporter, but I like more the idea to restore it and made a Scout rifle out of it. (The original stock in near perfect condition)

Where can I find a barrel for it (new one)?
    what contour would be correct so my gunsmith can duplicate the shape of the original one?

Should I stay whit the 7 x 57 configuration or search for another caliber?

Thanks in advance
    I'd like to see what the actual ring diameter is. I can't imagine a small ring 7mm DWM. It doesn't ring any bells (but my bell could be stuffed with birds nest...).

There are .308 WCF new barrels in military contour available from Brownell's.

How about pictures!! We need some cheap thrills.

Dutch

In Remembrance

Small ring 98.

Your small ring 98 Kar may be worth several times more as a collector piece than a shooter after you change the barrel.
    I have a small ring Kar 98 that someone screwed a 30 caliber machine gun barrel in and chambered it to 30 06. Makes for a questionable strength target rifle.
    I figure it is now worth a couple of hundred. If it was still full military it could be worth six to eight times that. Those little carbines have always been very collectable.

Life is good

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    There are brand new milsup Swedish 6.5x55 Barrels for sale in Australia at the moment. Will they fit?
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

What I have (Finally discovered it by searching the INTERNET like a maniac teenager) is a Mexican 1902 or 1910 Mauser Small ring 7 x 57 Carbine. (the barrel is 17.5" not 19" as I say before)

I was thinking of re barreling in 6.5 x 55 mm, but not transforming it in to a sporter. Maybe some kind of scout rifle ( The stock is in very good shape, in fact I am refinishing it right now whit double boiled linseed oil, and its turning great).

Haven't tried the original barrel to look how it shoots.....

Boolit Grand Master

Some of these barrels require an amazing amount of cleaning before you can get them
    to shoot. If you have access to an electrochemical cleaner, these are best, but often require
    many sessions as the crud that they lift goops up the liquid fairly quickly and it must be
    replaced. Don't give up on the original until you have truly cleaned it to bare steel (this can
    take MANY sessions with liquids and bronze brushes) and tried some long 175 RN Hornady
    bullets in reloads or Federal factory 175 rn. These long J bullets will often work when nothing
    else will in this caliber. I think they have enough contact to still work in marginal rifling.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    I'd like to see what the actual ring diameter is. I can't imagine a small ring 7mm DWM. It doesn't ring any bells (but my bell could be stuffed with birds nest...).

There are .308 WCF new barrels in military contour available from Brownell's.

How about pictures!! We need some cheap thrills.

Dutch
    Dutchman:

Here are the pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010434.jpg   P1010435.jpg   P1010439.jpg   P1010440.jpg   P1010441.jpg  

P1010442.jpg   P1010443.jpg   P1010444.jpg   P1010445.jpg  

Boolit Master

Well, it certainly is a small ring 98 action most likely some breed of Kar98a carbine since the rear sight is a carbine configuration.

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Well, it certainly is a small ring 98 action most likely some breed of Kar98a carbine since the rear sight is a carbine configuration.

Dutch
    What kind of scope mount would fit in it to make it a scout rifle?????

I was thinking on this one:

http://www.opticstore.com/NcStar%20C...e%20Scopes.htm

Boolit Master
    Could this be a 96 or earlier receiver retrofitted with a K98 bolt?
    I've seen this done once, a 95 Mauser fitted with a Czech 98 type bolt.

No telling how many variants there really are, since more Mausers were manufactured outside of Germany than inside, and several known modifications of standard Mauser types were done in third world aresenals.

PS
    The short ladder rear sight makes this carbine particularly attractive.

Neatest 98 actioned Carbine I've seen was a very short barreled 7.65 Carbine with the short ladder sight. I know it was for a South American buyer, Peru or Paraguay. I think this Carbine had a 15 1/2 " barrel.

Multigunner:

This particular carbine is Known as the Mexican model of 1902. Its German manufacture 100% (no arsenal rebuild), what I have learn from the internet in the past 2 weeks, since I bought it; is that the small ring action is like the 95, but incorporates the 98 type bolt whit the third lug.

Would the Barrel from an Oviedo Mauser Action fit in mine???? A friend has the barrel and he is willing to gave it to me at no cost.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tadeus View Post
    Multigunner:

This particular carbine is Known as the Mexican model of 1902. Its German manufacture 100% (no arsenal rebuild), what I have learn from the internet in the past 2 weeks, since I bought it; is that the small ring action is like the 95, but incorporates the 98 type bolt whit the third lug.
    Cool!!!
    A quick look around suggests that a near Identical carbine was manufactured in Austria when German sources couldn't supply enough to meet the need.

I can't say for certain that a 93 small ring barrel will fit, but its certainly worth looking into.
    The thread pattern should be the same, but the length of the shank is not always the same with Mausers of the same shank diameter, either large ring or small ring.

I wish I knew where those pages were, they had the thread and shank length specs for just about every variation.

Mausers used the Whitworth Thread similar to that used by the Enfield and the Arisaka.
    U S made replacement barrels usually used an American Standard V thread, which was close enough that it worked okay.

Whatever barrel you use I'd have the outside turned to match the original and mount that original ladder sight on it.

You never can tell about parts for these old war horses, there may be original replacement barrels squirreled away somewhere yet.

Boolit Master

There is no scope mount that will fit on this particular carbine. It'll require a custom manufactured mount. The rear sight base is like the 1891 Argentine Mauser. The length of the rear sight base doesn't allow for much stability especially for scopes like I normally use the NcStar 2-7x32 steel tube handgun scope. Fairly heavy. There are some early Tasco 1" handgun scopes in 2x to 4x size. I have one that is 3x28 and quite light weight but no longer in production.

I couldn't make a mount without having this carbine in my hands. This type of rear sight base requires close tolerances in order to provide adequate anchoring. You just can't make a generic mount and hope it's machined close enough. I'm sure the recoil is fairly stout with this little guy. Whatever you come up with look into the older Tasco aluminum handgun scopes.

Being a Mexican military long arm helps explain the condition. I thought it was rather ragged. Very few firearms make it out of Mexico intact. They get used/abused to death.

This is the 1891 Argentine rifle with one of my former* mounts. Note how long the rear sight base is compared with your Mex carbine. That NcStar steel tube scope is heavy. The inertia under recoil is substantial with this weight scope which is why I suggest you avoid the NcStar handgun scopes for your application. I make all my mounts for the NcStar 2-7x32 handgun scope because it's the most economical and widely used for this type of application. But not for your Mex carbine. I also don't make a mount for the 91 Argentine for the same reason (or the 94 Swede carbine). The mount is so short it exacerbates recoil forces

*I say "former" because I'm not going to make any more of this particular design. Instead I came up with a lower design for the 91 rifle that will be one piece steel. How much lower? 1/4" to 5/16" or so. That makes a lot of difference with the military buttstock comb geometry.

This is the little Tasco 3x28 aluminum scope. It really is much smaller and way lighter weight than the NcStar scopes. This is the kind of scope you'd need to use for any "carbine" LER scope mount.

Here's my former 91 Argentine carbine. Rear sight looks the same. Notice the old grease in the rear sight. That old carbine was very nice, unrebuilt and still had storage grease in it. It was freshly imported from Argentina by JLD and I bought it from them. Ludwig Loewe.

The Mexican 1902 carbine wasn't at all like the 1891 Argentine. The Mexican carbine was very much as the 1895 Chilean carbine and some versions of the 1893 Spanish. They were not full stocked like the 91 or 94 Swede carbines. The Mexican 1895 carbine was also of this alternate carbine style.

Thanks for the information guys.

So.....were I can find drawings to make a custom mount to put some pistol scope on it?????

The Oviedo Barrel should arrive next week, IŽll see if it fits.........if not IŽll have an interesting paper weight to impress my visitors.

Boolit Grand Master
    tadeus,
    If you end up leaving it as a 7mm, there is a group buy coming together for a 7mm Loverin design boolit that might might suit your rifle. I have a 7 x 57 that I'm hoping to use that boolit in. FYI

Boolit Buddy
    Mexican carbines like that are few, and far between, and bring a premium to those who are looking for them.

You would be money ahead looking for a different rifle to cannabalize. There are lots of inexpensive VZ24 actions out there.

Its your rifle, but you may want to research what its worth, before you begin altering it.

I also have found that just because bores look bad, doesn't always mean they will shoot bad. If it were minr, I would want to shoot it just to see.

Boolit Mold
    Gun Parts USA has 17.5" 7x57 barrels in good shape. Price is $48.60. If you contact them, they may cherrypick you one.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...barrel&catid=0

Quote Originally Posted by shastaboat View Post
    Gun Parts USA has 17.5" 7x57 barrels in good shape. Price is $48.60. If you contact them, they may cherrypick you one.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...barrel&catid=0
    IŽll Check with them right away.

One question: Isn't this barrel the same as the Oviedo???? If so, IŽll be getting one for free next week.

And yes, the idea is to put the rifle back on its trails as original as possible. I donŽt want to cannibalize it. There is probably another Mauser (exactly as this one) coming soon. When it arrives I should make the decision of which one stays original (maybe both) or which one be sporterized (maybe).

I have a Peruvian Mauser. It is worth $500. + from what I see on the internet. If I mess with it I can make it into a $200 or less sporter very fast!

Even refinishing the stocks on some of these unique pieces can spoil the collector value. It looks like your carbine is a neat piece. I would do nothing but clean, oil and work on that bore until I had plenty of time to research it and see what parts are available. Many a fellow has looked back and asked "Why did I do that?".

tc louis (above post)said he has a 17.5" barrel also.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

The Oviedo Barrel arrived yesterday...........................itŽs uglier than mine!!!!!!! IŽll try Numrich.