Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data

Thread: Pic of Authentic Schofield .45 Boolit?

Boolit Master

Pic of Authentic Schofield .45 Boolit?

Does anybody have a pic of an authentic .45 Schofield boolit or know a mould number that is absolutely accurate in authenticity? 230 gr LRN of course.

Boolit Bub
    I have a few loaded rounds of U.S. Govt. loaded Schofield which date from the 1880's but no loose boolits.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    Ben Franklin

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Google and click images...you'll see a couple pretty good examplae. Basically a round nose flat point with a wide meplat. Talk to Bernie at Old West Bullet Molds, I'd be suprised if he doesn't offer one and ofcourse Tom at Accurate Molds can make you a "one of" of most anything you want 30 caliber and up.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Saeco #954 comes very close to the original Schofield bullet. A powder charge of 4.3 to 4.5 grains of Bullseye in Schofield brass at 1.40" OAL closely approximates the ballistics of the M1887 service cartridge.

Attachment 75892Attachment 75893Attachment 75894

I worked with Tom at Accurate Molds a couple of years ago to create a mold that closely replicates the outward appearance of the original bullet, but without the hollow base. I also had him increase the lube groove size and add a crimp groove. When loaded, it looks identical to originals in my collection. See http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-230S-D.png

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050840 Smaller.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	75997

Griff
    Last edited by Griff411; 07-12-2013 at 05:26 PM.

I didn't notice when I replied that the original post was from the dim and distant past. Oh well, the info is still good.

Griff

Boolit Master

Griff,

No matter, those of us who lurk learn from threads like this. I did not know about this cartridge until I read this thread. The primer system is interesting as the original used a system I had never heard of before, the Benet system. Some of the photos made me think it is a rimfire cartridge but this primer system is inside the cartridge and is center fire. Thanks for sharing.

I learn a lot too. I joined back in 2010 and still only have a small handful of posts because I mostly read and learn. You're right--inside primed center fire cases are kind of different from what we're used to. I find the development of "modern" ammunition and the transition periods kind of interesting.

Griff