RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: M1 Garand load ?

In Remembrance

M1 Garand load ?

I have cast some LEE C309-200-R boolits that weigh in at 185 grains and I am looking into loading these for my Garand.
    The Lyman cast book shows IMR-4064 at 32-46 grains in the 30-06 but for a bolt action.
    How do you think this boolit with a gas check and ALOX would work in the Garand pushed by 39-40 grains of IMR-4064?
    Would a Dacron filler be necessary and if so how much.
    I'm guessing at the charge because I would have to actually work it up but using an average charge for the question.

I have seen several different opinions on the Garand but I have plenty of IMR-4064 on hand and would like to put it to use.

I am shooting 37gr. IMR 4895 with that same boolit in mine with good results. I haven't used 4064 but would imagine it would be similar. Start low, 34 gr. maybe, work up in one grain increments until you get 100% functioning and hopefully you will still have accuracy at that level. That 1:10 twist is touchy at higher velocities with cast.

I couldn't do it with lighter boolits, I had to drive them too fast for accuracy to get the action to work. Once I got to 200gr. ones it started to work properly.

Boolit Master

Start low, 34 gr. maybe, work up in one grain increments until you get 100% functioning and hopefully you will still have accuracy at that level. Quote from nobade above.

I would start even lower, like about 29 gr, to see if the action will function and work up till it does. Also study up on fillers. I have found that fillers will make ignition more consistent and help avoid vertical stringing of your shots. They do raise pressure, no Question, that is why you start low with your charge. You can get a load that will function with a lighter powder charge with filler. Look up Larry Gibsons posts on fillers.

I personally use the Lee 160 2R boolit checked and sized at .311 with 33 gr Accurate 2520 and a filler lightly placed in front of the powder. Good functioning, low pressures, clean bore, hits the target, brass falls close by. It could only be better if I could get my wife to cast and load them for me. You gotta have a dream I guess. Not giving data here only relating my experience. do your own work up.

I have loaded a couple different boolit weights using 4064 with the express purpose of figuring out the minimum load possible to achieve reliable funftion.

If memory serves me correctly:

2 different Lee 160gr boolits were reliable at about 37gr and my 311365 (which weighs in at about 202gr for me) functions good at 30gr. I do not use a filler for any of these loads. I'm not discounting their possible usefulness, just that I have never played with them.

If you can find that point where it is just enough to fuction the action and maintain decent accuracy, it should be a great all day shooting round. Your shoulder will thank you.

I will say this though - not all M1s are the same. I know for a fact the loads that will just funtion mine will not funtion in my cousin's Garand. Something to keep in mind while gathering you info on the forum.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Just do a search for "M1", "Garand", and any similar terms you can think of.

There's a HUGE amount of data.

4064 should work with load levels similar to those for 4895.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master

The Hornady reloading manual is always my go to book for Garand loading. But I don't think it has any cast data. But it is M1 Garand specific.

In Remembrance

There is a bunch of data but I seem to find it more for the 4895's and other powders. I always question myself about starting loads when I trying something that I've never done.
    Am I safe to try loads starting in the 30 grain range without filler and if needed would 1/2 grain filler be enough or should it be heavier.

Boolit Master
    34, 35 or 36 grains of IMR 4895 under that type of boolit should get you good groups. That's a pretty standard load to start with. I wouldn't go higher than that range.
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=lead-1;1388861]"There is a bunch of data but I seem to find it more for the 4895's and other powders. "

My dear sir;

4064 is VERY SIMILAR to 4895, being very slightly slower-burning. The IMR powders are wonderfully even-tempered and reliable, lending themselves to thoughtful experimentation and usually, with decent results. 4064 is one of the better choices in the Garand, I believe.

This means that using identical charge weights, the 4064 load will be slightly LOWER in pressure than the identical weight of 4895. Therefore, given a safe-pressure load of 4895, substituting an IDENTICAL weight of 4064 will yield lower pressure.

This constitutes a safety factor, NOT a risk.

In many cast-bullet endeavors, you will find little or NO "published data", meaning that we casters are often doing experimental loadings. KEEP RECORDS, and use great caution.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

In Remembrance

Thank you for that explanation on the difference, I wasn't sure how much the pressure would differ in the 3 or 4 steps the two are apart on the chart.

As stated earlier, Hornady has a section just for the Garand, but none of it is cast bullet data. They do have data for IMR 4064 and 178 grain Jacketed bullets.
    39.5 gr for 2200 FPS
    41.6 gr for 2300 FPS
    43.6 gr for 2400 FPS
    45.7 gr for 2500 FPS
    46.7 gr for 2550 FPS

That should give you a little to work with. C.O.L. for both bullets listed was 3.240, that may help too.

Boolit Mold
    I have a box of 200 gr. lead spitzers with gas checks and my Garand has an adjustable gas plug. Might try 41 gr. of IMR 4895 to start with and a little Puff-Lon on top.

The spitzers have disappointed me thus far. They just look like they ought to go fast, but in reality, to avoid disappointment, you might start lower muzzlehatch. Down around the 34gr area and work up. You'll likely find them going all over before you reach that 41gr. Turn your gas plug to the closed position.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

In Remembrance

I really do intend to try these but I have a couple transportation problems to fix first. Sometimes it seems like the stuff falling apart just won't stop. I did go shoot some j-words a while back to relieve some tension.

Boolit Master
    Back in the early 60s the standard DCM Service Rifle "match" load for the Garand was a 150 grain FMJ and 48 grains of 4064.

Boolit Mold
    In my experience, the Garand action starts to function reliably at about 35 gr of all the powders I have tried. I am having good luck with IMR-4350, but couldn't seem to get Varget, which is very similar to 4064, to work very well, either the action wasn't reliable, the accuracy was lacking or leading was bad. BobS had some interesting thoughts on the way cast boolits work in the M1, which is why I tried some slower powders. For 4064, I would start at 35 grains and work up .5 grains at a time until you get the results you are looking for. About 42 grains is as far as I've gotten without bad leading. Your alloy/treating, lube and sizing play a role in where your sweet spot will be. Look up Dave Newberry's OCW method of load Development, too. It made a world of difference for me. If you get it running good, I'd like to know your recipe. Best of Luck!

Boolit Master at heavens range
    If you have NOE- 311284, I just shot a match using 39.5 - old 4831, did good at 200 yds. gas plug piston removed and run bolt by hand.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smokemjoe View Post
    If you have NOE- 311284, I just shot a match using 39.5 - old 4831, did good at 200 yds. gas plug piston removed and run bolt by hand.

Interesting concept, removing the gas plug. What keeps the retaining "nut" tight? Maybe a drilled out plug would be a cheap fix. Did you win?

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    Interesting concept, removing the gas plug. What keeps the retaining "nut" tight? Maybe a drilled out plug would be a cheap fix. Did you win?
    Don't bother trying to drill one out; just get one of the spring loaded ones for the grenade launchers (this is all of the later ones that have a cross pattern on the front, the single slot are the older WWII style). the center can easily be punched out leaving you with a hollowed out plug - just what the doctor ordered.

BTW this is not conjecture, I made one and it works great!

Boolit Master

the adjustable plug is best then you can use any load