Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LYMAN 55 Powder Thrower

LYMAN 55 Powder Thrower

I bought myself on of these yesterday at a local gunshop, it was the only one they had.

Anyway, the box seal has been opened, probably 90% of reloading gear I buy in Australia has been opened for some reason.

Anyway, the Lyman 55 is missing the screw that holds the plate on the opposite side of the adjustment screws. So I cannot use this as is, I need a screw that will fit the hole in the brass barrel.

Sending things gun related back down here is a futile pursuit, you either have to wait for up to 4 months for a replacement or put up with it and try to fix it yourself.

Its one little screw, so I have decided to find a replacement.

I have tried all the available screws in my toolbox with no joy.

Could some kind soul post the length and TPI of this screw please?

Thanks fellers,

Mike

I don't mean to hijack for a moment...

...But Is Australia pretty hard up on gun related regs? I would think it would be a little more relaxed... that being said, I know more about the intricacies of a soviet nuclear powered submarine (Do they still call them submarines?.... ) than I do regulations or the political climate in Australia...

Boolit Master
    I no longer have my old Lyman #55 but it was a very good measure and worth your fixing. My guess is you have metric thread screws available but it will have American fine thread screws, that one is about an 8-32 if I remember correctly. You may find the correct thread screw at an auto parts or repair shop that deals with American autos. ??

Anyway, it's not critical what size screw you use; if I were in your shoes I would find someone with a threading tap that's close and make it fit the screws you do have. A lot of home handymen have taps and drills for that kind of work, most auto repair shops and all machine shops have them.

Boolit Master

63 shiloh,

I sent you a pm, the pm will help you find the info you are looking for.

Boolit Master
    Mike,
    Mine is an 8-36 X 3/16", pan-head type.

I don't expect that would be an easy one to find. Most likely, your best fix would be to re-thread to accept an 8-32 X 3/16", or the closest metric size.

Good luck.

Couldn't someone send him generic screws that aren't "firearms" related?
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

Boolit Master

And we complain here in the states I will try to measure mine when I get to the work shop but it may not be the same as it is a older unit and I am not sure if there are changes.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page87.html

Hope it's on the list. Good Luck!
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Quote Originally Posted by manleyjt View Post
    63 shiloh,

I sent you a pm, the pm will help you find the info you are looking for.
    Hmm, I did not get your PM mate??

Thanks for the heads up though, thanks to all for your help.

OK, firearms laws in Australia.

There was once a happy time before 1996, one could go into a gunshop, show your licence and walk out with whatever.

After '96 ( the Port Arthur massacre), the government at the time banned all semi auto rifles, pump shotguns and magazines over 10 rounds.

After another shooting in 2003, the anti gun gov went after handguns over .38 cal and mags over 10 rounds.

As it stands now, every State has a different Act and my state, West Australia has one of the worse.

I can buy firearm related gear over the 'net and have a great bloke on this forum in NC who sends me stuff down. The prices in the US are very good compared to what we pay here.

Now, with firearms, it is just getting harder. Our Customs are not allowing legal rifles in based on looks alone. For example, if someone was to make a bolt action AR 15, it would be rejected as it looks like a military weapon!

Our gun laws are ridiculous, here in WA every part of a cartridge is considered ammunition. An unprimed case must be locked away, a cast boolit must be locked away. Yet, I can order cases and projectiles from the Eastern States and get them delivered to my door. It is a dogs breakfast with way too much interpretation being given to Law Enforcement.

Anyway, I should have just bought the 55 from the US, however, I was in a rush to get one and bought local. If I cannot find the correct size screw, I will drill and tap it for M6x.1.5.

Mike

Moderator Emeritus
    Why not just order a replacement direct from Lyman?

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

If you can't get one and still need it, PM me and we'll arrange it. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master

Mike

I sent you another pm. I too offer to help if you can't get it done locally.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    Mike,
    Mine is an 8-36 X 3/16", pan-head type.

I don't expect that would be an easy one to find. Most likely, your best fix would be to re-thread to accept an 8-32 X 3/16", or the closest metric size.

Good luck.
    Mine sure looks bigger than an 8. We are talking about the Slide End Plate Screw, part No. 7990293 aren't we? Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master
    Woody1,
    Yep, that's the part, and I just re-checked it . . . it's still an 8.

Boolit Master

I suppose they've changed sizes over the years but all 4 of mine have a screw that's larger than a #8. I'd guess it's a #10 but it is 36 tpi. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master

From some intense research by a few members of ARTCA (thanks a million Gene, Jim, Doug, and a bunch of others)

smaller screw for the barrel is 8x32 thumb screw, the one for the slide is 10x36 thumbscrew with nonmetallic tip, the end cap screw (end of rotor) is 10x36

lyman still uses some odd ball threads from the early years

Boolit Master

he is talking about the 1/4 long pan head in the end of the barrel that holds the round black plate. some of the older 55s didnt have it It most likey is a 8x 32

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    If 8 X 36 is correct, that is the thread size of the AR15 series rifle front sight threads. Now if you could lay your hands.........

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Like others have offered, if you are still out the screw, I will get one or 2 and send them to you. Howeveer, were I in your situation, I would drill and tap for a local common screw.
    Dan

Boolit Master

It took a few days but here's the answer, confirming what others have said.

Subject: Lyman Contact Form:
    Message: Can you please tell me what size the Slide End Plate Screw part
    > No.7990293 on the Lyman 55 powder measure is? Thank you and regards,
    > Woody

From Lyman:
    It is a 10-36 thread screw. It has .190" long threads and is .25" long
    overall.

So there IS some Service in Lyman's Customer Service.

Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along