Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: 41 Rem Mag Load Needed

Question 41 Rem Mag Load Needed

I need help finding a load for my 41 Mag Blackhawk shooting a 275 gr. Mt Baldy Keith style bullet. It does not have a gas check and I would like something not too stout so my son will be able to shoot it also, so I need to keep the velocity reasonable. Also Santa is out of cash so I need to use the powders on hand so here are the choices: H110, H4227, Titegroup, and Trail Boss. Suggestions?

Thomas

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    16g of 4227. ... felix
    felix

Banned

Ill go with felixs answer

Boolit Master

275 grain

you can try H110 at 16 and go up the JD Jones bullet of 275gr --but different design - went to 19 gr of H110

you can try H110 at 16 and go up the JD Jones bullet of 275gr --but different design - went to 19 gr of H110. Too much power for what he wants! ... felix
    felix

Cast Hunter

I've had good luck with both IMR 4227 and H110 in my .41 mag BH, but 4227 has been more reliably accurate overall. Felix's suggestion of 16 gns sounds about right.
    Last edited by RugerFan; 12-23-2006 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    16g of 4227. ... felix
    Felix,

Do you find this to be a dirty load? I have some experiance with H4227 in the 45 Colt and some of the milder loads make a mess of the brass. I found the loads pleasant to shoot and fairly accurate but there was lots of residue.

Thomas

Yes, Thomas, that would be a 10-4. 4227 knows how to handle low pressure well in terms of producing good accuracy. Not so with the 110s and 296s out there. Do not underload these latter two because of their very radical variations in velocity when pressure is below 35K cup. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Sorry --missed the lighter load part --personally i always though 17-18 was a lighter loadbut not light enough-- my bad

Ok, I am going to start with the 16gr of H4227 and a good crimp. Thanks for the info fellas its much appreciated.

Thomas

Thomas, crimp only the amount necessary to keep the boolit from moving, say 0.005 max from number 1 to number 5 (or 6 when using full cylinder). It is always better to shave/turn/sand off the expander stem 0.001 at a time and then use a lighter crimp. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Someone contacted me recently about going too light with H110 in the 45 Colt. I've settled on 19.0gr w/250s and they're a dandy for my use. Not too heavy, yet a good heavy enough load.

He said getting too light with this powder causes erractic ignition. I've used a barrel full of the stuff in my blackhawk .30 carbine and never had a problem. I like the powder.
    But, today trying to find a heavier load for 38spl and wanting to use it. I ended up digging Hodgdon's booklet out, don't have their big book yet.

Lot's of notations about lighter loads with H110.
    Do wish I'd read that a couple weeks ago when I was ordering powder. Got 16# of the stuff. Would have gone with 4227 IF I'd known all this. But, it'll all eventually be used up anyway. I've got about 3000 .30 carbines ready to load and 2500 bullets coming. Plus, just got 200 new Starline 45 Colt brass to load too.

Thought I'd try a lighter loading for the .38 snubby today. 12.0gr w/140'hp's seems to be a real good load. Shot a couple off in the shop and they both fired just fine. Case looks good, not much smoke on the gun either. In daylight I'll dig the slugs out of the dirt floor and see what they look like.

I'm surprised at no more recoil from this real lightweight Charter toy. Don't want to shoot too many hot one's thru it, but, do need to run some to check the gun out. Then I'll go to my cast plinkers and learn the gun's handling. I'm mostly a point shooter, do a lot of it. This is my first snubby so will be some new lessons to learn I'm sure.

Thanks much,
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

Boolit Grand Master
    Dunno about the little/lightweight snubbies, but a Model 10 x 2" I once had was once of the most natural "pointers" I ever shot. Lots of time with my issued M-64 might have had something to do with that. Same story with a Model 13 x 3" I tried out--see it, hit it.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Mold
    Handloader #176 Aug 1995 has a bunch of loads that my Dad wrote about for the Marlin 1894S and S&W M57 41 caliber.
    His records show , from 1989, ( with his Old West .411-275 pb):
    H-110 15 grs, vel. 1009 fps 6" S&W
    IMR-4227 16 grs, 1002 fps 6"S&W
    Ray

Got em loaded up and ready for the range. 16gr H4227 at a COAL of 1.710. As soon as I send them down range I will report back.

By the way, does anybody know if the new IMR 4227, which is the old H4227, is on the shelf yet?

Thomas

Do not count on any of the 4227s to be the same when used above 40K CUP, but do assume they are the same enough for your lower pressure purposes. This consideration is with any powder lot of any brand. ... felix
    felix