WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: LW AR15 lower question

LW AR15 lower question

I'm really not a serious AR guy but I an a sucker for a nice light carbine and was thinking of building one since my first AR yrs ago was a colt LW , I came across These Plum Crazy composite complete lowers and thought I would get some input about them. So whats the good, and bad about them. this wouldnt be for super heavy use and or any tactical role just average use on the range and home.The price seems good considering its complete for 120.00 on average. Any help is appreciated .

thanks,Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    Howdy RU,
    If you have a link, I would like to view their selections as well. I recall the Carbon-15 variant of the AR from years back and I think they were acquired by Bushmaster. I remember another company way back before the cost of anything AR related skyrocketed in 2008 that was offering one-piece glass-filled polymer lower receivers similar to the Carbon 15 for less than $75. The only caveat was that you had to deburr the flashing from the mould yourself (not too bad a task). Sounds like you have envisioned a worthy project.
    Got-R-Did.

heres a link but it seems like half the site is being redone?

http://www.pcfmfg.com/index.php?opti...d=34&Itemid=50
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    I'm really not a serious AR guy but I an a sucker for a nice light carbine and was thinking of building one since my first AR yrs ago was a colt LW , I came across These Plum Crazy composite complete lowers and thought I would get some input about them. So whats the good, and bad about them. this wouldnt be for super heavy use and or any tactical role just average use on the range and home.The price seems good considering its complete for 120.00 on average. Any help is appreciated .

thanks,Tim
    This thread might interest you.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=87178

Boolit Buddy
    Here is an option:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/1560.php

I have both....Plumcrazy works fine. I do like the Palmetto upper for the money.

Boolit Master

I just recently purchased one of these (Plum Crazy C15) lowers for a 6.8 SPC upper I had. I really like it. The good, VERY light, half the weight of an aluminum lower. The trigger is VERY good, much better than the stock military trigger you get with stock LPK's, less creep and very smooth. Now for the bad, granted I have not shot it yet so the only complaint I have currently is that the take down pins are very tight and difficult to get out, they are also made out of polymer.

Overall I like the lower, I built this with that lower in mind, I have a light weight free float tube on it and an 18" recon profile barrel (lighter of the 2 choices from Bison, but wanted the 18" over the 16"). I built this gun for hunting and wanted light weight, figured between the light fore end and the light lower I saved about the weight of the scope on top of it.

Boolit Grand Master

The Plum Crazy units have plastic internal parts. The AUG has an all plastic fire control system,
    too, and works great, altho a bit squishy trigger pull, so plastic can work. I've looked at them
    and been tempted myself.

I have a plastic lower (forget the brand) that takes std metal interior parts and it has been fine
    for a number of years. I built it up with a flat top and pencil 16" bbl, and it is very light around
    5 lbs.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Now keep in mind that you can replace all of the internals on the Plum Crazy with a standard (or upgraded trigger) LPK, the specs are the same.

Boolit Buddy

I have the PC lower. I like it fine. Don't know if I'd take it to the CZ yet but it seems to holding up fine. Only shoot green tip through it.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!