Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Lbt soft blue ?

Lbt soft blue ?

Has anyone tried to pan lube with Vearls soft blue, if so waht were the results?

Why do you want to pan lube with such a high end lube? To me, pan lubing is the process to utilize large quantities (a pound or more) of inexpensive lube for low to moderate velocity loads. I used a bunch of LBT Soft Blue when trying to extract the highest performance possible from my .350RM and can't imagine melting enough $3.50/stick lube into a pan to cover the lube grooves of 50-100 boolits; however, I'm a cheap SOB. On the other hand, LBT SB doesn't appear to have the physical attributes that would even lend itself to pan lubing... but I could be all wet on that one. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try it as a pan lube but I'd be afraid of melting it. If you are successful, please post your results. Perhaps you can pour it back into the luber/sizer if it doesn't work as a pan lube... assuming the components don't separate. The composition of this stuff is a real puzzle and the best conclusion I can come to is that it's a very "soapy" lube; and, based on my experiences trying to duplicate this stuff, I wouldn't recommend melting it... but that's just me and my judgement is clouded by the $3.50/stick! price (and the fact Veral won't sell it in bulk).

MJ

Boolit Grand Master

I use this lube also but why do you want to pan lube with it? I ask only because it is very easy to just rub the stick on the boolit lube grooves to apply it. I do this sometimes if I do not need to size.
    You can also tumble lube with it. Veral posted on his website the method to do this with.
    I have melted the solid sticks and poured it in my luber/sizer with no problems. It does not seperate when heated. I used a heat gun and a pyrex measuring cup when I did this.

I got a new mold from Veral and I tried a couple of sticks, but i dont have a lube sizer. It just seems like such a hastle and mess to do by the finger whipe method. I was going to try melting a little in a small cat food can then cookie cut and replace the boolits then use a heatgun. I dont think there would be that much waste as you could just add more as needed. Beings you have used soft blue how did it workout for you. I am going to try it on heavy 45 colt loads of h-110.

Boolit Grand Master

I used soft blue for years and have had good results using it as a pan lube. It is too much of a hassle to change out the lube in my lubrisizer and melted some of the blue in a small can to lube some 225462's. Worked fine and gave no leading at 2700fps.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger20 View Post
    I got a new mold from Veral and I tried a couple of sticks, but i dont have a lube sizer. It just seems like such a hastle and mess to do by the finger whipe method. I was going to try melting a little in a small cat food can then cookie cut and replace the boolits then use a heatgun. I dont think there would be that much waste as you could just add more as needed. Beings you have used soft blue how did it workout for you. I am going to try it on heavy 45 colt loads of h-110.
    Don't use a cat food can, use a teflon coated muffin or bread pan so the lube/boolits can be easily removed. Then you can simply push the boolits out of the lube "cake". If the lube clings to the pan surface place the pan in the frig for about 20 minutes and it will pop right out. I pan lube a lot and this method has never failed. It's nice to know LBT SB can be used as a pan lube... now if Veral will only sell it in bulk!

MJ

Boolit Grand Master

The LBT BS is my go to lube if I want to shoot hi-velocity. 22 cal to 3,000, 30 cal to 2,600 fps.
    It works fine for low velocity also.
    It does stain pretty much whatever it gets on, like carpet, so be careful with it.

It usually takes a few shots for the load to settle down with this lube when you first use it or clean the bore so keep some of your cull boolits to do this with.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    I wouldn't recommend melting it... MJ
    This is also my go to lube and I melt it to pour it into the lubrisizer and have also melted it for experimenting with additional ingrediants (didn't gain anything), it didn't seperate and I noticed no change in performance by melting it.

Veral had to melt it to blend the ingrediants and then pour it into sticks. I'm really curious what happened when you melted it?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

I got out one of my wifes silicone 6 banger muffin trays, I can fit about 13 boolits in each one. the more space the boolits take up the less excess lube needed. I was going to use this lube for sighting in and a deer hunting loads. For punching papper I use white lable lubes, not that I have had bad results but have heard good things about BS for premium loads. I was just wondering ifthis stuff is as good as its cracked up to be.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Veral had to melt it to blend the ingrediants and then pour it into sticks. I'm really curious what happened when you melted it?

Rick
    Well, there's melting and then there's melting... and if one's doing it by the seat of their pants (like I would have been) then I was concerned about screwing it up. If I had only paid 2 bucks a stick for the stuff, I probably would have already microwave tested it at full power. I have experimented with making really soapy lubes (like Veral's, I suppose) and have needed to heat them to 350F or so, for long periods of time, in order to get a working, repeatable consistency for pan lubing. Until now I haven't considered trying to melt SB because I've been using a suitable (for my purposes) alternative to Veral's high priced lubes.

MJ

P.S. BTW, I don't think one can duplicate Veral's lube while using beeswax.
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 08-17-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger20 View Post
    I got out one of my wifes silicone 6 banger muffin trays, I can fit about 13 boolits in each one. the more space the boolits take up the less excess lube needed. I was going to use this lube for sighting in and a deer hunting loads. For punching papper I use white lable lubes, not that I have had bad results but have heard good things about BS for premium loads. I was just wondering ifthis stuff is as good as its cracked up to be.
    Larry
    Yeah it's good stuff that works well at high velocity and high temperatures... Veral might not sell you anymore though if you keep calling it BS.

MJ

Boolit Master
    BS is good stuff and that is no BS.
    I melt and pour in my sizers all the time.

Marlin Junky not sure what you are calling bulk quanities but you can get 30 sticks for $80.00 which is a little cheaper. About 2.65 a stick.

The Blue Soft is a little soft for Star sizers but does work,you just have to back off on the preasure.I ordered so regular Blue and am going to try it 50/50 with the soft and life may be good.

Boolit Grand Master

Veral also sells a commercial lube that he says blends well with the Blue Soft.

Much good info and ideas being tossed around. When I do the melting Im going to use a new 2 cup aluminium perk type coffee pot with no innards. Maybe tomorrow.

Ok put about 3/4 of a tablespoon of BS in a cavity of the muffin tray, melted it with a heatgun, stood 12 boolits in the silicone muffin tray on end the leavle of the BS was just right and waited about 10 min, then cut boolits out with a cookie cutter worked perfectly. A six banger tray will hold 72 boolits. For the next batch all you have to do is add a very small amount more of BS to each cavity. This process doesnt overly heat the boolits and cools faster than conventional pan lubeing because you arent useing so much extra lube.
    Last edited by gunslinger20; 08-27-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Glad it worked out for you.