WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: 860 for 356 winchester

Boolit Man

860 for 356 winchester

I have 6 8 pound jugs of the 860 powder and dont know what to do with it yet. I was going through the locker and found that I am very low on 356 winchester ammo and am wondering if the 860 might be used for the 356 winchester and 200 grain gc bullets for plinking
    Everyone Is Entitled To Be Stupid, But Some Abuse The Privilege

Boolit Grand Master
    I imagine the powder would be pretty docile in the application you describe. I have used it without duplexing in 25-35 WCF, 30-06, and 30-30 WCF, where it gives moderate velocities and a little bit of unburned granules in bore and chamber. A full case (55.0 grains) underneath 140 grain j-words in 6.5 x 55 gave close to factory spec velocity in my Ruger 77R, about 2475 FPS.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    I have loaded 49 grains(full case) of WC-852 in my 356 with the RCBS 200 FN and got 1987 FPS. My lot of WC-852 is slower than H4831 but 860 is slower yet. Try it and let us know how it works.

Boolit Master at heavens range

cow loads

I know a fellow down in Fl. that puts a amount of corn meal between the powder and the bullet with these slow burning powders and gets good results, Hope this helps, Smokemjoe

Smile

Doing that cuts down on the powder space. Your best bet for getting it to burn reasonably well is to see how much of it you can pack in. I think you'll still have a great deal of unburned powder.

I made a big mistake once in trying IMR 7383 (near 4350 burning rate, 7/8 the density) in .45-70 with 340 grain bullets. A full case load was something like 47 grains, and it burned very poorly. Got velocities in the 1200 FPS range with pretty good consistency, but my Marlin jammed horribly on the unburned powder that fell out of the cases into the action.

I like slower burning powders with cast bullets, but they need to burn reasonably completely. Too slow makes a real mess.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Man
    I wonder if a Duplex load wwould work in this but have no idea on where to start
    Everyone Is Entitled To Be Stupid, But Some Abuse The Privilege