MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting axes?

Boolit Master

Interesting axes?

Anyone have any favorite axe types???

When out dong whatever, like hunting, the only other type of cutting tool I've ever carried has been either a small hatchet or break-down Wyoming saw. If in a vehicle sometimes I've carried some form of axe. But did come across something different a few weeks ago.

Since the focus is usually on knives thought I'd throw in something new to me. Recently I had the opportunity to see an unusual axe in action in rural Africa. These axes are likely a regional thing and all are forged in some of the villages. The metal is salvaged from broken vehicle leaf springs and the handles are a specific type of secondary limb growth from mopane trees that have been knocked over by elephants. The blade is long and narrow and the pointed end is simply held by wedging friction in a hole in the large end of the handle. Mopane wood is extremely dense and fibrous. It is one of the most common hardwoods in this area of Southcentral Africa. Other common hardwoods include ebony, leadwood, mahogany and some others I'm not familiar with. The leading edge of this blade is only about 3 1/8" long. My theory about its effectiveness is the relatively large amount of energy focused behind and on the relatively small cutting edge.... especially for cross cutting tough, dense hardwoods. Watching these axes and the tough fellows swinging them..... felling and limbing these hardwoods was truly impressive! BTW, I never saw a chainsaw or any other form of power equipment being used by the locals and foot or bicycle are the primary modes of transport. The only engine I heard running was a long stroke single cylinder small popper that ran the village corn mill once or twice a week.
    Last edited by 405; 12-23-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    Interesting! Thanks for sharing. I'm always interested to see how the 'other' fellow does things.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Banned

I really like the small Gerber hand axe. I use it all the time. It is very sharp and during hunting season, that is all I carry. Makes short work out of field dressing a deer.

Boolit Master
    Did you get to bring one back?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Makes short work out of field dressing a deer.
    Absolutely. I can testify that these axes make short order of dis-assembling hippos and buffs. I also saw these folks carrying and using, for smaller projects, an identical version about half the size.

LIMPINGJ- Yes the close-ups are the one I have. Traded for it.

While most conventional axes use a ringed head for hafting these simply use a hole. The pointed end is heated then pushed thru the wood head (series of steps)... making for a perfect fit. This narrow form really reminds me of the narrow "hawk" heads used historically by North American Indians. I'm going to try it on some of the nuisance oak around here just to see if I can make it work.
    Last edited by 405; 12-23-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    I like a good machete , they just have so many uses and cut so fast thru the small stuff that accounts for most of what i cut when the chain saw isn't around , i have cut a 8 inch pine that fell across the road one year while on the way out hunting , normally we would have had the chain saw in the truck but we had a few extra guys riding up under the topper so it got taken out

but it it's an axe the i like a 30 inch Michigan with a 4 1/2 inch cut , i like to get some swing

i have a swede carpenters hatchet that i like it has a 14 or so inch long handle for really swinging but the head is made so you can choke right up on it for fin detail it is grunsford brunks or somthing like that i don't recall exactly

Well not really an axe but I have had 4-5 of these buck 106 hatchetts since i was a kid got my first 1 along with a buck 110 when i was 7 the first year i got togo hunting and I dont go into the woods with out either of them ever since..

By hotwheelzzz at 2011-08-20

By hotwheelzzz at 2011-08-20
    Ill be as nice as you let me and as mean as you make me, your Choice

I've made a few dozen over they years, every style imaginable. Some were meant to cut, some were meant to fight and throw and some were meant to look pretty.

One of my favorites is this one that I use to clean deer and bear and it is very efficient for that. It throws well to.

In this picture, it still has hair and blood from the last deer that it cleaned.
    07/02 FFL
    Maker of fun things to shoot...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Boolit Grand Master

Snow and Neally, Bangor, Me. Been making them for over 100 years.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with greencountypete, I like my 30" machete for just about everything. But my favorite hatchet is an estwing E45A.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Ax

I know I am dating myself but I have carried many of these axes over the years. Many of them were liberated by fellow hunters to put it in a nice way. The ax is the MARBLE'S SAFETY AX.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    .....I have a swede carpenters hatchet that i like it has a 14 or so inch long handle for really swinging but the head is made so you can choke right up on it for fin detail it is grunsford brunks or somthing like that i don't recall exactly
    The name of this company is Grandfors Bruck and I'd kill for one of thier axes! I saw a guy demonstrate the factory edge on one once. He had a customer pick out an unopened box from a shelf and he used it to shave! BTW, each smith signs the axes he makes!

T-o-m

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat Keeper View Post
    The name of this company is Grandfors Bruck and I'd kill for one of thier axes! I saw a guy demonstrate the factory edge on one once. He had a customer pick out an unopened box from a shelf and he used it to shave! BTW, each smith signs the axes he makes!

T-o-m
    Grandfors Bruck US
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    An interesting note: if you look at the two men in the picture, you will notice that both are wearing coveralls. I have hunted Zim and RSA and this is standard dress for safari crews.

120 degrees, and they have two or three layers of clothing.

Rich

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    An interesting note: if you look at the two men in the picture, you will notice that both are wearing coveralls. I have hunted Zim and RSA and this is standard dress for safari crews.

120 degrees, and they have two or three layers of clothing.

Rich
    Good eye! Only one who has been there can fully appreciate rural Africa. This is in NE Zambia. Another note: everyone of these guys swung with a cross-handed (left-handed) grip. I probably watched at least 15, all swinging cross-handed.

Boolit Master

somewhere here on the forum is another thread about axes. I have yet to find it but there were some links to documents on axes.

Maybe someone can help me out.

Boolit Master

Hmmm, I looked a little in the search engine and mostly found "axe(s)" in threads about how to cut up big hunks of lead but nothing specifically about axe reference documentation. Are you talking something like 20th century North American collectible axe reference material? I know there are a few antique/collectible reference books out there primarily devoted to knives but would have other cutting tools like axes included. Most all the reference books I have deal with historic arms and armor from different parts of the world. The North American edged weapon and tool references I have deal mostly with pre-1840 stuff.

here is the machete i just made from .090 stainless of the belt from the MDF plant.
    (mediam density fiberboard) this is magnetic stainless and is it ever tough and is heat treated and is like spring steel. it,s 3 inch wide blade, weighs 2 lbs and realy hols a good edge.it cuts up to 1 1/2 alder in one swing. the long 2 handed handle is for sawing.

[QUOTE=GREENCOUNTYPETE;1363835]I like a good machete , they just have so many uses and cut so fast thru the small stuff that accounts for most of what i cut when the chain saw isn't around , i have cut a 8 inch pine that fell across the road one .

I like a camper axe, which I carry lashed to the outside of my pack. I alway have a shingle axe also, because it seconds as a hammer, and has a nail notch in it for pulling nails. I can also use it in combo with the bigger camp axe. I also throw both, so through the years I got reasonably good sticking them at 15 yards max or thereabouts.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/pr...uncil+Camp+Axe

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Hammer-H...-/120762697485

I have also have another style shingle axe that doesn't have the crowbar tip, but only a point on the end. It is nicer for throwing, but couldn't find a picture of it the same.

Boolit Master

My Estwing hatchet has been hard at work for years.

Not outdoorsman stuff, but I used to use these on a daily basis:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fireaxe1.jpg  
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell