Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Hunting Load 45/70

Boolit Mold

Hunting Load 45/70

Looking for load data for a RD TL460 425.

Marlin 1895GG
    R.P. cases
    CCI LRP
    IMR 3031, IMR 4198
    Lube 45/45/10

I found one load for 4198 on Ranch Dog's sight but nothing for 3031. I hunt deer,elk and moose. I'm not looking for high velocity thumper loads but would like to be in the 1700 to 1800 fps range. Most hunting is in heavy timber but shots to 150 yards are possible.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You are at a slight disadvantage because of your Remington cases. Of all the common brands, Remington 45-70 cases hold the least. So, beware of data given. There is 3-4 grains of capacity difference between Remington (the least) and Winchester (the most) and that difference will raise pressure. Also be aware that leveraction (rear locking bolt) rifles, that operate in the 40-45 kpsi level, do not show traditional pressure signs like a front lockup bolt gun at 50 kpsi or more. If you see hard extraction, flattened flowing primers, or case head expansion of over 0.0003", your already way past any sane Marlin lever gun pressure.

All that said, IMR 3031, H322, and BenchMark all have almost identical charge weights in the 45-70 with the boolit weight your using. They all are practically the same as far as burn rate in this circumstance. The only differences are in bbl harmonics. H322 and BM are very alike even in harmonics. 3031 is just different enough that if the first two powder don't work well, the other will and vise versa. If you were using Winchester cases, then I would recommend working between 50 and 52 grains max. As you are using Remington cases, you should start at about 46 grains and work up to about 48 maybe 49 grains max. Your primer choice is fine. RD boolits are usually velocity challenged when you get to top end loads, so beware. I have always been able to attain higher velocity, with good accuracy, when using a conventional lube grooved/driving band boolit over a modified MG one.

Good luck.

Statesville, North Carolina...too close to Charlotte
    Soud advice from BABore. Just remember at that velocity to snug that Marlin tightly in the shoulder crevice or be prepared to vist the hospital for facial reconstruction surgery.
    "Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

Boolit Mold
    I errored in the velocity I posted this a.m. for that boolit, that will teach me to not proof read before hitting send 1500 fps top end is what I'm looking at.

I'm a novice in the casting department, just started last year and I am use to looking up a load for J words in a loading manual. I have two Lyman books, 49th edition and 3rd cast edition but find they both really lack for cast boolit loads. I've been reading here on Cast Boolits for a year and soaking up all the info I can, your help and patience is appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master
    Can't speak to your exact boolit, but I use a 420 gr cast plain base in my .45-70 and the two favorite powders I've used are the same as your's. In my gun, with my boolits, a safe load I've enjoyed is:
    30 gr 4198, standard primer, spot of dacron
    40 gr 3031, standard primer
    Neither load is a real barn burner and I would caution you to start at a reduced load by a couple grains. As always, check with a good reference before putting any faith in any load you get off the net. Accuracy is just wonderful. Hunting results can't be beat. My friends, who use the same load, refer to it as "the Matrix Load" (movie reference). Just switches off the life force. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    My smokeless hunting load is a Lyman 405 gr FP over 44 gr of 3031. It is accurate and has never stopped inside either deer or elk. I never shot a moose with one so do not know about them.

Le Loup Solitaire

45-70 hunting load

I got this load from the NRA technical staff many years ago. I have used it in my 86 Winchester several times. 53 grains of IMR 3031 with a 405 grain bullet. I used Lyman # 457124, but I'm sure that others will do. Velocity is around/very close to 1800 fps. The recoil isn't fun...especially with the curved buttplate on the 86, but a second shot isn't usually needed anyway. The muzzle energy is around 3000 and anything that you might be hunting in the western hemisphere won't get up. LLS

In Remembrance

I find that 4759 is a case filling, softer recoiling powder for the velocity and boolit you are using.