WidenersLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman 452374 current and past

Boolit Master

Lyman 452374 current and past

Well I tried two current production molds about 2 or so years ago and of course they cast undersized at .449 to .450. Midway was excellent in taking back both molds, paid return shipping, and apologized for the problems. Anyway so I came across a late 1960's/early 1970's 4 cavity that actually cast fat .4535-.4540 which is fine for my needs. I knew there was a design change but never seen it first hand. The recent production molds are not only equipped with undersized cavities on many of their molds but the 452374 design is skinnier/longer in comparison to a more standard ball type round nose. I much prefer the older design.

Left is the 60's/70's and the right is the current

Banned

I purchased my LAST Lyman product over a year ago. I don't care if they pull their heads out and fix their problems, or go bankrupt, or are the last mould maker on the planet, I'm not buying any of their products new ever again. Not only can they not produce a mould to advertised dimensions (even with straight lino, most of the time), but they can't even make a reasonable facsimile of proven designs that have been cataloged for nearly a century when the old cherries wear out. Known-good used items I may buy, but I'm not gonna be the guinea-pig or test mule for them any more.

Gear

Boolit Master

Gotta agree with Gear on this one. I'll buy an old Lyman mold but won't take a chance on a new one. I don't buy lottery tickets either and for the same reason.

Boolit Grand Master
    With Lyman you never know what you are going to get. They change the designs so much that it is hit and miss.
    This is sad as they have some great designs, when they choose to stick to them.

Boolit Master

Makes you wonder which version of their own bullets they use for load development for their Handbook doesn't it?

Boolit Grand Master
    Those 2 bullets sure look like they might need different OAL don't they?

Boolit Master
    The current production is definately longer in length so if their load data is with it then the old design would more than likely yield less pressure. I too won't buy new ever again.

bhn22
    I have an old Ideal mould like the LH one. Interestingly enough, it casts with a slightly rough bullet finish too, and at .454, even above the grease groove. I had three Lyman marked moulds that cast undersized above the grease groove, and didn't even want this mould originally, but it came in a package deal.

Gear- don't hold back like that. it's not healthy.

Boolit Master
    My latest Lyman four cavity mould purchase was two of the #452664 45-250-RFBB last year.Both moulds drop with in one grain for all eight cavities and are .453.454 and cast like a dream. Before that was two four cavity #401638 40-175-TCBB and again no more than one grain difference between eight cavities and the same casting attributes.

I have had one lousey mould from Lyman. A four cavity #452374 45-225-RNPB I bought to match a close to 50 year old four cavity #452374. The old mould drops a perfect 225 grain bolit and sizes 1.5 more above the grease groove than below and is a super accurate boolit.

The new mould just barely sizes below the grease groove and only drops 220 grains from the same alloy. I bought this mould at least twenty years ago when I had my casting shop.

I have bought lyman moulds that had the cherry sunk too deep into the mould block, but were matched by milling or grinding the mould block to fix the problem. I have done this to multiple moulds.

I caught flak from a buddy for doing this to a 429421 that dropped 265 rather than 245. He wanted the heavier boolit.

Yesterday, I cast 900 boolits from two four cavity #358311 38-158-RNPB moulds. A years supply in a short time!

I also bought Saeco #115 09-122-RNBB to match one I bought at lest twenty years ago and it perfectly matched the old mould.

Lyman should take the hint and standardize thier tooling and manufacturing methods.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post
    I have an old Ideal mould like the LH one. Interestingly enough, it casts with a slightly rough bullet finish too, and at .454, even above the grease groove. I had three Lyman marked moulds that cast undersized above the grease groove, and didn't even want this mould originally, but it came in a package deal.

That's what the warden keeps telling me....

Gear

Le Loup Solitaire

Lyman 452374

Its a comedy that isn't funny. I agree absolutely with Gear and The Prof. Dump your Lyman tradgedies and get the RCBS 225 grain Roundnose. Its only a 2 cav but it is a good mold. Or look at what Lee or Saeco has to offer. Their designs and QC is good too. Life (and $$$$) is too short to keep fooling around with junk. LLS

Boolit Grand Master

Now all we need to do is politely convince RCBS to make 4 cavity molds.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post

On mine it's not a rough finish it's from some other previous person not storing the mold right and there's rust/pitting in the mold. This morning I lapped some of it out but I need to work a bit more right at the tip of the ogive and it'll look good again. Mine drops boolit diameter above the grease groove too which is nice.

Well mine must be an old one,Looks like the one on the left ,Drops at .454

Boolit Master
    My four-banger, purchased from a member, is like the one on the left and drops at .454", too.

bhn22
    Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    On mine it's not a rough finish it's from some other previous person not storing the mold right and there's rust/pitting in the mold. This morning I lapped some of it out but I need to work a bit more right at the tip of the ogive and it'll look good again. Mine drops boolit diameter above the grease groove too which is nice.
    Thats what I figure happened to mine too. I don't know if I'll lap it or not. If the bullets shoot well, I may just leave it be. I bought mine as part of a package deal of 3 moulds for $65.00 at a gun show. Two of them had been bead blasted, and this was the worst of the batch. I figured I would sell it off for about $25.00 or so, but it really has potential. The other blasted mould was a 358311 that casts perfectly. The third mould was perfect, and worth the entire purchase price. I live in a casting deficient area, and deals can be had at the gunshows if you approach it right.

Boolit Master

Progress

I lapped for a while on a the ogive of the cavities to take out the rust and pitting. Right now I have mainly taken the rust and much of the pitting from them but it'll take a little more work yet. I'll use some of the recent boolits I cast to lap some more of the ogive and call it good.

Boolit Master

Looking good Rob.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ