MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky

Thread: What size in No4 Mk1 303

Boolit Mold

What size in No4 Mk1 303

Hi guys

I have just acquired a Savage made No4 Mk1 303 and want to start casting for it.

I took it to the range yesterday and it shot 2 1/2" groups and no keyholeing at 100 yards with factory sporting ammo (pretty sure they're .311) and I'm pretty happy with that for an almost 70 year old rifle that I don't know the history of.

Now my question is, what size cast boolits should I go for? I slugged the barrel today and it came out at .314
    Would a Lee .312 185gr boolit be fine in a .314 barrel or should I go up to a Lyman .316 mold and size down to .314 from there?

Boolit Master
    Buy a .316" mould and a custom .316" lubrisizer die. Start there and the rest will be easy. I know from past experience dealing with others you probably won't take this advice.

My .303s shoot well. I use big bullets in them.
    Rule 303

Boolit Mold
    I forgot to mention its a 2 grove barrel

Piedmont, That's a great idea.
    Start big and i can always size down later if needed but I cant really increase a .312 easily (yes I know it can be done with paper patches)

Becareful of the bore diameter also. I recently measured a Savage two groove barrel at .306 bore and .316 groove. A .303-.304 bullet nose will not shoot in a .306 bore and will keyhole.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr350 View Post
    I forgot to mention its a 2 grove barrel

Piedmont, That's a great idea.
    Start big and i can always size down later if needed but I cant really increase a .312 easily (yes I know it can be done with paper patches)
    The thing you don't realize yet is there is no need to size down.
    Rule 303

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Becareful of the bore diameter also. I recently measured a Savage two groove barrel at .306 bore and .316 groove. A .303-.304 bullet nose will not shoot in a .306 bore and will keyhole.
    I'll measure that tomorrow and see what it comes out at. Pretty sure it was .304
    The NOE .316 cast im looking at has a .305 nose so that should be alright im guessing

I hope all your NZ issue No4's don't have large bore diameters. This one I bought is NZ issue

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
    The thing you don't realize yet is there is no need to size down.
    What makes you say that. Im guessing a .316 bullet is fine in a barrel thats .314 between the grooves.

Boolit Master

Slug the bore and measure the groove diameter. Cast a bullet that is at least 0.001" over groove diameter and make sure it is sized to at least 0.001" over groove diameter. Sometimes 0.002" is better.
    I shoot 0.314" bullets out of all of my .303s including a couple of Ross rifles with .311 bores. There is no leading and this bullet is very accurate so long as the bore is under 0.313".

I shoot bullets sized to 0.310" in my 308, 30-30, and 30/06, not to mention 300 Savage. once again a slightly larger cast bullet will work well.

I do own a 303 in a martini that needs a 0.316" bullet to shoot. Anything smaller simply keyholes.

Boolit Mold
    Ok done, Ill go for the .316 and see how she shoots.

Thanks guys

Boolit Master
    Measure a fired cases inside neck dia and shoot a thou under that. Pat

Boolit Master
    I was gifted some NOE 316299 by a fellow board member who shoots military bolt with us. I tried them in a No 4 Mk I with primo results. I am glad now that I ordered one of those moulds.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.