MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEMI-SHINE Alternative?

In Remembrance

Question LEMI-SHINE Alternative?

OK I need someone to chime in on this one. I've done a search in this section of the forum and came up with 4 options but they refer to the ultra sonic type method (mainly).

I have the high speed thumbler tumbler and it came with the lemi-shine stuff along with the stainless media. Although it works fantastic and I only use like 1\4 tsp of the stuff at each use, sooner or later I'll have to get some more of it.

Living very remote (28mi from town) the local grocery store doesn't stock it all the time(if ever). Anyone ever try something else that worked just as well?

Just looking ahead here for that down the road supply...
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 06-14-2011 at 12:57 PM.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Buddy
    I found some at my local Wallmart...to my surprise.
    BOB
    22LR, 9MM, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 45-70, 6MM BR, 30BR, 222, 204, 22-250, 7-30 WATERS, 12GA, 36 & 44 BP

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by bpratl View Post
    I found some at my local Wallmart...to my surprise.

Well for me that would be about a 116mi round trip (next town over) which for me I never go that far for nuttin. Just curious about alternatives.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Navel jelly and hot water works but it is more expensive than lemi-shine. Works on the same principle.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    Well for me that would be about a 116mi round trip (next town over) which for me I never go that far for nuttin. Just curious about alternatives.
    You can go online and buy anything Walmart sells - which is much, much more than what they have in the stores - and they will deliver it to your your local store for free or to your door for a small shipping fee. They even have several types,makes and models of gun safes.

Boolit Master

Bar Keepers Friend brand. "Copper Glo" is the product. Cleans brass casings amazingly well!
    Jon

Longwood
    I put a tablespoon of Lemishine in my ultrasonic cleaner a couple of days ago and when I noticed it was barely working and very slow I went back to the Greased Lightening that A&M cleaning products makes..

Boolit Master
    Just wondering, wouldnt citric acid do the same thing as lemi shine.

Bar Keepers Friend ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roundnoser View Post
    Bar Keepers Friend brand. "Copper Glo" is the product. Cleans brass casings amazingly well!
    Jon, tell us more about this Bar Keepers Friend "Copper Glo". How do you use it? Does it clean inside dirty brass well?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pressonregardless View Post
    Jon, tell us more about this Bar Keepers Friend "Copper Glo". How do you use it? Does it clean inside dirty brass well?
    Honestly, you won't believe it until you try it. Once you do, you'll be a believer!

I take my really dirty brass (the stuff with oxydation spots on it), and place it in a plastic container. Then add the Copper Glo (it is a white liquid. Contains some fine abrasives and citric acid.), so that it coats all of the brass. Using your hand, mix it around in the brass really well. After a minute or so, pour cold water on the brass. this will nuetralize the citric acid. Once the Copper Glo is cleaned off, dry the brass then polish in your tumbler. Comes out factory new!
    Jon

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, the active ingredient in Lemi-Shine is citric acid. SAFE and will not harm the brass,
    actually converts the oxidized brass back to metallic brass, not removing it.

In a rural area, ask at the canning supply place. Citric acid is added to some jams
    and maybe other foods when home canning. If you can find it at a good price go for
    it.

Of course, a capful of NuFinish car wax in a tumbler with fine cut corncob will make the
    brass just absolutely amazingly nice in a hurry. I am quite serious, that even if you
    have been tumbling brass for decades (I had been) you will be amazed and pleased
    at the far superior results with a capful of NuFinish (orange bottle) car wax.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Yes, the active ingredient in Lemi-Shine is citric acid. SAFE and will not harm the brass,
    actually converts the oxidized brass back to metallic brass, not removing it.

In a rural area, ask at the canning supply place. Citric acid is added to some jams
    and maybe other foods when home canning. If you can find it at a good price go for
    it.

Of course, a capful of NuFinish car wax in a tumbler with fine cut corncob will make the
    brass just absolutely amazingly nice in a hurry. I am quite serious, that even if you
    have been tumbling brass for decades (I had been) you will be amazed and pleased
    at the far superior results with a capful of NuFinish (orange bottle) car wax.

Bill
    Nu Finish, huh?! I'll have to try that! How long will a bowl of Nu Finish-treated media last?...same as other polishes?
    Jon

Boolit Master
    Stellar Solutions, in McHenry, Illinois manufactures passivation chemicals for the stainless steel industry. Their product Citrisurf 77 is concentrated citric acid sold by the gallon, or in five gallon pails. It's about a ph of 1, so a little should go a long way. A gallon might be several lifetime supplies.

Six months ago I knew very little about this subject. I've had to learn fast as I have about 65,000 lbs of stainless steel structure to passivate in the next two months. As soon as I crack one of these five gallon jugs I'll take a couple ounces home and try it on some brass. Should be starting this week.

BD

Boolit Master
    Still seems like a lot of work for no more than bragging rights.
    You can talk to your store manager and he might put in an order for you. Unless it has a short shelf lie, you might order a case and use it for more than tumbling brass.

Boolit Bub
    Here's a little reading on citric acid.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=83572

Quote Originally Posted by edsmith View Post
    Just wondering, wouldnt citric acid do the same thing as lemi shine.
    That is what I use.. picked it up at a micro-brew supply store.. a whole pound of it.. cleans really really nice..
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

Boolit Grand Master

Roundnoser -
    NuFinish treated corn cob seems to last longer, I add a new capful every two or three batches.

The brass comes out super shiny and waxed slick, you'll be tickled at how nice it is, and much
    quicker.

Drop a paper towel torn into strips (they tear perfectly in one direction) into the tumbler and
    the towel will pick up most of the dirt, but it seems like with NuFinish I don't need to do this
    any more. Also, Granger's online has the perfect corncob size for about $25 for 40 lbs or so, really
    great deal and does NOT clog the primer flash holes like the corncob and walnut that I had
    been using.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Lemi-shine

I will say one thing about Lemi-shine and that is be very careful with it. I was going to just tap the side of the container to add it to my model B and much more than what is needed went into the brass. The brass was 44-40 nickel that had been fired with BP. When it was time to remove and rinse, my brass was no longer shiny nickel. My brass had about 50% of the nickel missing. 64 and still learning about taking short cuts when I should have taken time to measure. I cook a lot of Cajun food and we don't measure anything but just add till it is right. You have to be careful and measure this when cleaning nickel brass.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Roundnoser -
    NuFinish treated corn cob seems to last longer, I add a new capful every two or three batches.

The brass comes out super shiny and waxed slick, you'll be tickled at how nice it is, and much
    quicker.

Drop a paper towel torn into strips (they tear perfectly in one direction) into the tumbler and
    the towel will pick up most of the dirt, but it seems like with NuFinish I don't need to do this
    any more. Also, Granger's online has the perfect corncob size for about $25 for 40 lbs or so, really
    great deal and does NOT clog the primer flash holes like the corncob and walnut that I had
    been using.

Bill
    Bill,

Grainger has two grit sizes listed for the 40 lb. corn cob media. 20/40 grit = $27.20 and the 14/20 grit = $26.15. Which size did you purchase?
    Jon