WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Old Lyman No. 45 Luber/Sizer issues.

Boolit Bub

Old Lyman No. 45 Luber/Sizer issues.

I have an older model Lyman Ideal No. 45 bullet lubricator & sizer. It has a vented cast iron cap over the tube holding the lubricant. Orange paint job and wooden press handle.

The tool is missing the pressure piston and also the ratchet wrench.

1. Are there any parts sources for the missing pressure piston and wrench (or must I make my own)? Lyman does not have the parts.

2. About how old is this unit?

Thank you.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

I have a couple of the old 45's, a couple of the new ones, and a couple of RCBS. I like to keep each one dedicated to a single size dia. The orange ones I remember being around when I was a kid, and I am in my 70's. There are black mods that pre date the orange ones. Had one and for some reason traded it off, and wish I had it back as a collector item. You can pick up a wratchet wrench at most any hardware. Bought one not long ago. Am not so sure that you can not use the piston from a current mod, but don't know that for sure. You might be able to make one if you have a machinest friend, and you might be able to do it with a close fit to the bbl, and an o-ring, or maybe not. Just a thought! Good luck.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

The pistons are out there, check on Gun Broker perhaps. I use a 1/4" ratchet with a 1/4" deep well socket on mine, but the original wrenches also are available.

Doug

Boolit Master
    Well, I'm thinking that the cast cover puts it somewhere around WWII. I have one like that set for .357 (be careful if it has the pivot bolt, they can't take as much oomph as the later pivot pin...) The 450/4500 o-ring piston works, don't know if you need the pressure screw too or not. Also, the ratchet in the Chapman gunsmithing tools is the same as the Lyman/Ideal lube ratchet, you might be able to get one separate......

Dan

Boolit Mold
    Midway was selling the Lyman luber-sizer heater for half price last winter. I bought 2 of them. It claimed to fit all Lyman lubers, but my two old orange model 45's did not. It took some extensive modifications to fit one and I sold the second heater to a friend.
    Don't sit on your butt looking for a leader, because Leadership is not a product of government, the media, or a law school. If you have Integrity and Love of Country, then you have the Duty. Step forward and Lead.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for the info and suggestions. There are many knowledgeable people on this forum.

One more question: About the original pressure piston, it would be a little old for o-rings, how did it seal the tube?
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    Ben Franklin

the brass collar expanded when pressure was applied ( much the same way as a rubber skirt seal will ( tho not as flexible )
    lyman's piston for the 450/4500 will fit this , in fact it's a upgrade i recommend highly ! last year they was about $3 this year they are running $5 ( plus shipping ) they also sell the wrenches but the original chapman still sells them as well ( and a lil cheaper to boot but that shipping cost thing again )
    Replacement Parts 4500/450 -
    Pressure Nut (with two o-rings) formerly 2990146 sku # 2990708 $5.00
    Ratchet Wrench sku #2745804 $8.00

http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page150.html

on the next page is product # cm-13 ... this is a faithful modern day copy ( by the same maker ) as the original wrench
    http://www.chapmanmfg.com/Parts.html
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Grand Master

I might could help you if you cant find any parts. I happen to be a machinist. A couple of years ago, I broke the drive bolt on my 450. went to make another one and found out that they tried to be slick and used an American size diameter with a metric thread! Aint no step for a stepper, so I made a new one single point style. I could probably make you a new drive bolt and a piston (I assume they work the same way) if you cant find them anywhere.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Bub
    Goodsteel, Thank you for the offer it's good to know you have been there and done that in case I can't find anything that works.

Fryboy, Thank you for the info. I was wondering if the 450/4500 would work or not. One question though - the end of the screw shaft on my Model 45 has a 5 sided end for the ratchet. Are the new ratchets made to fit a 5 sided shaft or a 4 sided shaft?
    Ben Franklin

Moderator Emeritus

5 sided ???
    I've never seen that ?

the Lyman 45 should have a hex (6-sided)
    the older Ideal/Lyman #1 has a square (4-sided)

Lyman has the parts you need, if you can't figure it out on there website,
    just call them.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

This is great info. I am about in the same boat as the OP. Not being very familiar with the lubrisizers, I was thinking about possibly sending mine in to Lyman and seeing if they could check it out and possibly replace any missing parts. The only thing I worry about doing that is the cost might be a little high.

Moderator Emeritus

Lyman website is not the best...But I'll try to help.

the Lyman 45 is a very simple tool,
    and is very similar to the 450 and the 4500.
    I wouldn't send it back to Lyman,
    I'd disassemble it myself, clean it, and acess if it needs
    any new parts, We can help if you run into troubles,
    hopfully you can post photos if you need specific advice

Here is the manual and exploded view of the 4500,
    this will help identify the part by diagram and part name and number.
    http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/b...BC_LS_4500.pdf

Lyman doesn't have a manual and exploded view of the 45 or the 450
    on their website...because, I guess, they don't sell them anymore

the parts on this page are for the 450, BUT if a part is listed for both the 450 and 4500, it will also work on the 45...and maybe the #1...or maybe not, depends on the part.
    http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page151.html

If you can find a older copy of Lyman's "Reloading and Cast Bullet Guide"
    it is a 71 pg pamphet. it has a exploded view of the 450 along with instructions.
    I mention this cause it came with any lyman equipment, mine came with
    my Lyman brass tumbler, you may have a copy and not realize it.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

There is a PDF copy of the 45, there's a link to it in one of the threads here. The wrench is the Chapman CM-13 and Chapman still sells them. The new wrenches are made of stainless steel, a nice upgrade from the older ones. I also have a 45, but the cap on mine is unvented aluminum, so I don't know if that means mine is newer or older. I also have the older brass skirted piston, rather than the newer O ringed one, and so far it works fine for me.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Grand Master

Like Jon B says, they are very simple tools, not hard to repair or make new parts for (at least the 450 isn't) I'll extend the same offer to stickman, if you cant find parts shoot me a PM and Ill try making something up from scratch.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

Clean up, buy a piston with the o-rings from Lyman and I think you just miscounted
    the flats, it will be 1/4" hex. There are many different drivers, but the ones intended
    for use with small 1/4" hex screwdriver bits as 90 deg ratchet screwdrivers are really
    good and can sometimes be found very cheap from Taiwan.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

In Remembrance
    I just finished refurbishing an old Lyman 45 and I ordered the parts I needed from Lyman. Took about seven to ten days to get them, and cost me I think $22.

I ordered a new piston ring and pressure screw, new cap and some extra o-rings and screws to have on hand as I have more than one Lyman 45.

Also, I prefer to use a 1/4" nutdriver rather than a ratchet wrench. Gives me better feel for the pressure and what the lube is doing during the process. I keep a ratchet on hand for adding/changing lube, but for the day-to-day use of the lubesizer, I use 1/4" nutdrivers on all of mine.

Boolit Bub
    Such a great website this is, with lots of knowledgeable people.

You are correct, it is a six sided shaft and not five. Thank you for the many tips and advise.

I placed my order last week with Lyman for a ratchet, and the new pressure piston w/rings. I did not order a new pressure screw ---- I hope the new piston will thread onto the old pressure screw and that this will not be a problem.
    Ben Franklin