Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Loads for Lee 452-228-1R

Loads for Lee 452-228-1R

I have my first 45ACP mold coming in today, a Lee 452-228-1R. Anyone care to share some recipes for this one? I have Bullseye, HP-38, and 2400 on-hand. I'd be willing to acquire additional powders if you have one you swear by. I'll primarily be loading for plinking and paper punching - low to medium velocity stuff.

I am using the lee 452-228-1r also.I use 6.2 gr of Unique powder.
    Last edited by yancey; 06-15-2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: type err

i have that mold .....i believe i started at 5. of unique and loaded slowly up until i got the extraction and point of aim balanced ,plz note there is quite a bit of discrepancy in data for this powder ,i always like to cross refernce when i can and in this case it is one of the few cast loads listed that alliant publishes

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...3&cartridge=35

u'll have to click accept etc (more than likely ) and may have to scroll to the listed load ,they actually list a 230 grain but that's close enough there is of course no idea of what the mold or ur alloy will cast yet ,could be a lil heavier could be a lil lighter but it'll be close enough ,i would suggest using ur barrel for a gauge and setting them no deeper than just needed ,start small and work up to find what functions best in ur gun

Boolit Bub
    I've loaded hundreds of those with 4.0 Bullseye.

3.8 CLAYS

WST is good too.....Like W231/HP-38 but cleaner

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Grand Master
    Since that mould is really not a duplicate of the standard ball profile as the nose is rather short, most guns will not accept this bullet loaded to ball overall length, which is normally around 1.260-1.265."

Usually 1.220" or thereabouts is it.

5.0 grains Bullseye gets right around 820 fps in my pistols and is pretty much a duplicate of factory ball ammo in velocity (but not in shape). If you want milder speeds 4.0 grains will still function a 1911 with standard springs and is milder to shoot.

Forget the 2400, as it's really not a powder for an automatic pistol. For moderate velocity loads it's not terribly well suited.

HP38 (W231) will work well in 4.8 grain charges for around 760-780 fps.

Yep, what they said. Anywhere from 4 to 5 gr Bullseye will be well within the envelope of safe pressure and still cycle the action.
    Airplanes and guns should always be made out of metal.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
    Yep, what they said. Anywhere from 4 to 5 gr Bullseye will be well within the envelope of safe pressure and still cycle the action.
    I've used between 4, 4.5 and 5 grains of Red Dot on mine. Great powder to have on hand!

Boolit Grand Master

4.3 grains of Bullseye was the magic load for me.

Boolit Master
    I load it at 5.7 gr of Bullseye.

I almost always cycle each round through my Colt to make sure that they will chamber and function. Wen I got this mold, I lubed and sized the bullets , measured a factory hardball that I had and went to loading.
    I didn't check for fit and function.

Got to the woods where I was going to do some plinking and the darn things wouldn't chamber. I had to re-seat them all, just a few thousandths.

You can bet that rest of batches were checked.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Bub
    I concur with 35Rem on the 4 - 5 gr of Bullseye. COL on my loads with this bullet for both my Gold Cup and my Taurus Mil Pro works best at 1.200". Best accuracy in both is at about 4.5 gr. Haven't chrono'd the loads. Just loaded for accuracy. Function is foolproof. Found that one coat of liquid alox would lead the barrel, although not badly. Two coats of liquid alox seemed to solve the problem, but a bit smokey. In west Texas the smoke doesn't really matter because there is always a hellava wind blowing.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee 0.5 dipper which comes with their deluxe .45 kit and Bullseye, giving me about 4.7 grains. 4-5 grains of Bullseye behind a 230 grain boolit is pretty standard.
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb