Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: sight solution for 700BDL

Boolit Man

sight solution for 700BDL

I have a 700 BDL in 30-06 that recently came back to me after 25yrs.

The issue is that boolits are shooting about 5ft low at 100yds and 2ft or so at 50yds. The OEM sight won't adjust up far enough to get on target.

I'm thinking of drilling and tapping a scope mount to screw a rear sight on.

Is there a better solution available?
    Rays

Put a shorter front sight on. Measure the front sight height and order a shorter one.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Master
    Shim under the rear sight?

I use feeler gauges under the scope mounts on my long range rigs to get the scope bottomed out with a 100 yard zero.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Grand Master

Don't know how much money you have, but a peep sight is an awesome way to get around this problem! Williams makes a fine model that will screw right into your scope mounts and the greater sight radius will make it easier to make accurate shots. Or you could go with a lyman flip up tang sight. All very good options that you would probably be happy with and they will add value to you rifle.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master
    rays308 :

Here is a very simple and fool proof way to replace the front sight with the correct height ramp and front sight.

Step 1 - Totally remove the front sight and sight base from the barrel.

Step 2 - Take a paper clip and straighten it out and bend it in the middle 90 degrees.

Step 3 - Take some good strong tape and tape the paper clip on the end of your barrel with the bent portion standing straight up in the 12 o'clock position. ( This has now become your " new " front sight.)

Step 4 - Take your rifle and " new front sight " & ammo that you plan to fire in your rifle to the range.

Step 5 - Take a good pair of wire snips with you that will cut the paper clip cleanly.

Step 6 - In trial and error firing, fire 2-3 rounds, and snip a VERY small amount off the end of the paper clip, fire another 2-3 rounds, repeat, repeat.

Step 7 - Once your rifle is zeroed to your satisfaction, you now can remove the paper clip and take a measurement and know exactly the height of ramp and front sight that is needed to zero your rifle. For example, let's say your paper clip front sight measured .450 " in height and you were happy with your " zero ". You'd need a ramp and front sight that when combined measured .450" from the top of the front sight to the underside of the sight ramp.
    Last edited by Ben; 05-20-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Are the sights original? If they are your barrel might be bent. Ben's suggestion will work, I would put the rear sight almost to the bottom of its adjustment if you do use that method.

Here is a way to figure out mathematically how much difference you need. I don't remember where I found it.

How can I determine the amount of sight correction needed to sight in my pistol or rifle?

A: You multiply the sight radius (in inches) by the amount of error (also in inches). You then divide this number by the range in inches. The result is the amount of correction in thousandths to adjust the sight to correct point of aim.

Example 1: Handgun shooting 4” low at 50 feet with a sight radius of 8 inches. 8x4=32 32 divided by 600 (50 feet times 12 inches per foot) =.0533. The front sight needs to be lowered by approximately .053” or rear sight raised approximately .053”.

Example 2: Rifleshooting 11" high at 100 yards with the rear sight all the way down. The rifle has a sight radius of 17 inches. 11x17=187 187 divided by 3600 (100 yards times 36 inches per yard) =.0519. The front sight needs to be raised by approximately .052" or the rear sight lowered by approximately .052".
    Robert

If you put on a Williams peep you'll need a shorter front blade anyway. Just get the right one from Brownells for $9 and put it in place.

Boolit Master
    I have to ask please, 5 ft. ? what boolit/charge are you popping. a couple more grains might be easier. Gtek

Boolit Man
    311365 200gr 24gr 2400.
    311365 11gr reddot
    311332 30 gr H4895

This isn't unusual. In my 308s cast boolots tend to shoot much lower than jacketed.
    This 06 with OEM sights simply doesn't have enough adjustment.

On my ARs its 22 clicks difference between Jacketed and cast.
    Rays