Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Ten cavity moulds

Boolit Bub

Ten cavity moulds

Does anyone know of a source for good used Hensley and Gibbs ten cavity moulds?

TIA
    Diplomacy is the final refuge and hiding place of cowards

In Remebrance

Ebay, Auction Arms, etc. That's about it these days. I suppose you could place ads in the Rifleman, Handloader, etc.

Boolit Master

In addition to what Tpr. Bret said also watch for them at gun shows. I ran into a vendor selling moulds at a show this spring that had a couple and claimed to have about 30 more at home. Those are some big, heavy moulds.

Boolit Buddy
    I recently got a 10 cavity 50BB and it sure is heavy and takes a long time to heat up. I would not get another one this big. I also have a 68 8 cavity and it's much better and easier to work with, at least that's my opinion. Like already said, Ebay is a good source but 10 cavities don't come up very often.

What mold(s) specifically are you looking for?

Boolit Bub
    I was fortunate enough to find (on Ebay) a 6 and a 10 cavity- both H&G .358 WC. They're simply outstanding. I use them together- heat is a challenge if you don't have a hot plate to place the rotating moulds on. The plate only needs to be set at 200 degrees or so- just enough to keep the big blocks from loosing heat. Once they loose heat, it's a bear to catch one up to the other. After setting up- bringing the moulds to temperature, bringing 20 pounds of alloy to temperature (hot- about 900 degrees for a lightly frosted bullet) and bringing 10 pounds of resupply alloy to temperature (I use two pots), one hour of uninterrupted casting yielded me about 1,200 WCs- after culling. That was last year- I've used them since but not to that degree. For those of us that don't have much time to cast, the big boys are super.

Regards.........

anachronism
    Makes my back ache, just thinking about it...

Bob

10 Cavity Hensley & Gibbs Mold Availability

You can occasionally find used H&G 10 cavity molds on Ebay or Auction Arms as the others have pointed out. Gunshows are good also...

Having collected H&G molds for 15 years now, I can tell you from personal experience that if you are a hobby caster with the typical 10 or 20 pound lead pot, the 10 cavity mold is not ideal for your situation. A better fit for your pot would be a 4 or 6 cavity mold. Lighter, easier to use, and easier to keep at the right temperature.

H&G 8 & 10 cavity molds were mostly made for commercial casters using large lead pots that held 50 -300 or more pounds of lead. This was in the day before autocast machines. 10 cavity was the only way to make production worthwhile. It's no coincidence that H&G stopped making 10 cavity molds in 1994 when demand fell off after auto cast machine became more and more affordable. I say mostly made for commercial casters, because the largest buyers of 8 & 10 cavity molds were businesses or government agencies (Local Law Enforcement agencies were big purchasers of 8 & 10 cavity molds in the 50’s & 60’s). Thanks to them we now have a source for buying all those unused molds.

I once visited a very old commercial casting facility here in Texas, and by then they had converted over to autocast machines. But back in the corner were the old manual pots. I was allowed to borrow one (the owner would not sell it) and manufacture a duplicate. It holds about 200 pounds of alloy and can easily take the 8 & 10 cavity molds and make the casting session easy and enjoyable.

Link to Casting Pot

It was only after I had this pot that I was able to realize the production potential of the 8 & 10 cavity molds. The pot takes about an hour to heat up, and when ready, I can cast continuously for about 3-4 hours before I either become too tired or run out of alloy. My typical casting session produces about 1500 H&G #34's (225gr. LRN) and about 800 #503's (The "Keith" 250gr .44 bullet). Production rates vary depending on my attention span and enthusiasm for casting on that day.

I much prefer to cast with the 6 cavity molds when I need #68's (200gr SWC for .45ACP) or 43's (The "Keith" 173gr .38 Bullet).

Casting with an 8 or 10 cavity molds frequently will produce ham sized arms. They already weigh a lot before you pour lead inside, and adding 8 or 10 150 to 250 grain bullets makes them all that heavier.

If you have to have a ten cavity mold, and you can't wait, then you can try Ballist-Cast. Their webpage shows 6 & 8 cavity molds, but maybe they can make you a 10 if they still have the tooling, they bought out H&G’s tooling when they closed their doors. To convert the H&G numbering system to Ballisti-Cast's simply add 600 to the H&G number. For example, H&G #34 becomes Ballisti-Cast #634. So on and so forth.

If you need a resource for H&G molds, visit my webpage at:

Hensley & Gibbs Mold Chart Reference Page

Boolit Bub
    thanks to everyone who responded.
    Diplomacy is the final refuge and hiding place of cowards