WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Lubed Boolit Storage...?

Boolit Bub

Lubed Boolit Storage...?

I have made up a bunch of lube that I am really happy with. It shoots well in my pistols, isn't real messy, and it's not expensive. It seems to have a hard time staying in the lube grooves, but I am a bit leery of changing the recipe as it stands.

On to the question.

How do you fellows store your already-lubed boolits? I have been simply tossing them into disposable tupperware-type tubs, but that (I think) is where my problem is rooted. Banging around against other boolits, lube grooves touching, boolits parts prying the lube out...etc. I was thinking it may be a better idea to fashion some wooden plates that fit my choice tubs with caliber specific holes drilled in them, then tack/glue a chunk of luaun or similar thin sheet to the underside. In doing so, if the wood thickness was right, one could select one boolit easily without digging through the tub, further disturbing the lube, and they would stack nicely. It seems this would take a lot of space, though. Or at least a lot more than a bunch of boolits randomly tossed in the tub.

...Now that I write it out, it sounds like a lot of work for not so much return. I should probably just add some lanolin and save myself the trouble, eh?

How do you guys store your boolits?

Love Life
    In the berm.

Sorry I couldn't help myself. I just toss them in a tupperware dish, but I also use a harder lube from the Bullshop. It's called Lotak hard.

Banned

In cigar boxes. FIL smokes like a train, so lots of the same size. The boolits are stacked in rows and when a row is full, I put a layer of dense paperboard on top and start a new layer. That's the second layer in the pic. I know how many of what caliber will fit in each row, so it's a snap to see how many are in box.

Gear

Boolit Bub
    Love Life, you need to build a trap! Crumb rubber is a much better storage media than dirt! lol

Gear - Another good idea! Flat-bottom, manageable size, and I bet they stack well to boot. Not to mention how great it is to empty them of their original contents!

My only reserve would be the contact points on all sides, but I guarantee I'd be tossing fewer in the "relube" pile using a neat stacking method like that. I'll give it a shot!

Boolit Man
    Hello the camp! Cuz I load mainly for bp, I use Midway's .45acp boxes for storage, ala Meister SPG, but my lube is ala Emmerts. Once I bought the 100 boxes, I didn't know what to do. I've used the same 10 trays over and over. A freshly-lubed boolit gets placed in a tray nose-first. When the tray is full, I place a piece of plywood over the tray and invert boolits, base on plywood. Thence to loading. See ya round the campfire. mm
    Malpais Mike

Not intending to hijack here but Gear that is an interesting nose profile on those beauties, what mold drops those?

Boolit Master
    I use a similar method to gear but use the USPS $5 shipping boxes that I save whenever I buy stuff online. Rows of lubed boolits then a cardboard over the top and more rows. Easy way to store em and you know how many are in a filled box. they stack pretty nice too.

Joe
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master

It was designed by Gear and Tom at Accurate Molds made it.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-230L-D.png

Quote Originally Posted by Plinkster View Post
    Not intending to hijack here but Gear that is an interesting nose profile on those beauties, what mold drops those?
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Moderator Emeritus

Here lately I've been lubing a couple hundred at a time and putting them in those plastic divider trays commercial ammo comes in. Just about any shooting range trash can has a few dozen of them in there. I snag all I can get every time I go.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master

I do that same thing Trey.. I don't have enough of them to store my main bulk boolits, but I do use them for some of my getting ready to load/test load boolits.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master
    I just use whatever container I have at hand. They just get piled in. I end up with lube on the noses, etc but just ignore it. It works for me. I don't have smokers in the family so no cigar boxes for me.

Boolit Master
    I used to be involved in commercial retail store construction. We would tear out thousands of square feet of suspended ceilings and in those ceiling were hundreds of 2' X 4" aluminum egg-crate return air grills. I'd take them home, clean them up, and make the worlds greatest loading blocks for use on the reloading bench.

I made hundreds of these loading blocks and gave them away at every shooting event I went to. A bit of duck tape and two pieces of grill and your done! Folks loved them.....

The advantage to these loading blocks is they are open on the bottom. No powder and crud gets trapped under a bullet. And the ID of the hole is 1/2" X 1/2"

And this open bottom design is even more important with lubed bullets. You don't want nasties sticking to your boolits and being blown down the barrel!

Now that I'm into casting bullets I find these trays work PERFECT to store cast, lubed bullets

So I want to make up a bunch more...........Do you think I can find these same aluminum egg-crate grills anywhere! Everything has gone plastic, and the plastic ones are only 3/8" thick instead of the 1/2" thick these aluminum units are.

I've called all the commercial ceiling suppliers and no one has them......

Help me, if you see an old store being demolished, try to grab a bunch of these grills and I'll pay you for your trouble.......
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Bub
    Roy,
    That looks really handy! Although, for smaller (i.e 9mm) boolits, they may tend to tip. They'd be great for .45, though! Great ideas, fellows!

I love this place! Keep them coming!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Doby45 View Post
    It was designed by Gear and Tom at Accurate Molds made it.
    Thanks Doby.

Roy, that's another one of those outstanding ideas that pops up here from time to time, very clever! I'll keep my eyes peeled for some of the 1/2" aluminum grilles, but I might have to keep them if I do!

Gear

Boolit Master
    I don't store lubed boolits, only as cast. I size, lube and load only what I am going to shoot. I do keep a some loaded rounds in ammo boxes so I guess you could say I store some lubed boolits in brass containers.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Longwood
    A water or soda bottle will slip down over a Lee sizer die.
    I choose the bottle size I want, size till it is full, and screw the lid on.
    I do mostly long .458 bullets so I just cut off the top of the bottle when I want to load them.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Thanks Doby.

Roy, that's another one of those outstanding ideas that pops up here from time to time, very clever! I'll keep my eyes peeled for some of the 1/2" aluminum grilles, but I might have to keep them if I do!

Gear
    I salvaged some of that stuff several year ago and was using it for shelves for a while. I looked in my aluminum scrap pile this afternoon and found about 15 ft of it.