Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

View Poll Results: How many Rounds Do You Carry?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • 6 to 12

80 42.33%
  • 13 to 24

72 38.10%
  • 25 to 36

19 10.05%
  • 0ver 40

18 9.52%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: How many rounds do you carry?

16 in the gun, 20 round spare sometimes. 10mm 155gr DoubleTap Barnes TAC-XP.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    In the hunting field, I rarely carry more than a dozen since I hunt with single shots.
    In the city, only 1+1 clips since firefights are highly unlikely.
    I'm more in line with this thinking.
    Unless I'm pack hunting way back in remote area's, I seldom carry more then 5 or six.
    As for defense, if I need more than one mag., I wasn't very observant in allowing myself into a bad situation to begin with. If it is one of those sudden situations that is totally unavoidable, and out numbered where 1 mag isn't enough,,,,odds are I'm going to take a hit before I reach empty or reloading a mag anyhow. In which case 20-30 or more rounds ain't going to matter. Sometimes I think it's better, more than extra mags., it is best to have or to use a pepper spray setup that has both volume and distance.
    Key is to avoid confrontations before they develope,, Keep your options open when they do. Best asset, is of that is mental preparedness, more so than just being well armed.
    Dave

In Remebrance

Rude and condescending? Look, YOU posted a poll asking for opinion. Many the the answers you got don't agree with your personal opinion. So then YOU try and justify your OPINION by bringing the military and police into the mix. We aren't talking about the military of the police, I point out we're talking about everyday Joes and what they feel is adequate for THEM. You come back with more police related justification, I counter that I felt adequately supplied with what I had as a Trooper and you have the gall to come back with ME being "rude and condescending" and "typical cop attitude" and something about open carry?

Pal, you're losing this argument that never should have been an argument in the first place and making yourself look like a 4 year old that isn't getting his way. Stop while you're behind.

And for the record, I'm completely in favor of open/concealed carry and Joe Average DOES NOT deal with the same criminals a cop does. Joe Average isn't raiding meth labs, responding to domestics, assaults, burglaries and robberies. You asked a question, you got your answers, leave it at that please.

Banned

Sure we don't raid meth labs, but the same guy from that lab that shows up with the same weapon controlled by what's left of his mind at the local convenience store, its the same guy we both have to deal with.

Its not a losing argument at all to say that its better to carry more, than less, of what you need.

Andy only issues me one round, under the condition that I carry it in my shirt pocket.

- Deputy Fife

Quote Originally Posted by BulletFactory View Post
    Sure we don't raid meth labs, but the same guy from that lab that shows up with the same weapon controlled by what's left of his mind at the local convenience store, its the same guy we both have to deal with.

Its not a losing argument at all to say that its better to carry more, than less, of what you need.

Needs,,,or wants?
    The first, I think in practical terms much like Bret has expressed. The later, well that's a whole different matter. Sometimes carrying 30 rounds may be practical, but I would see that as seldom need myself.
    Last edited by onesonek; 04-27-2011 at 04:50 PM.
    Dave

Banned

Feels like Im talking to the brady bunch here. Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need one and not have it.

No, Nobody is saying there isn't a need a sidearm or even a need to carry.
    Just the bulk of what I gather, is how much to carry. Points being made, if you don't have control of a situtaion in 2-4 maybe 6 rounds fired,,, chances are you are not going to survive. Life isn't some TV or movie script. I would suspect in any self defense gun battle, it would done and over within seconds, not a matter of minutes.
    Dave

Love Life
    I carry two magazines. Usually a Guns&Ammo and a Handloader.

Now if i were carrying a combat load it would be a M4 with a M203 grendade launcher attached. 8 30rd mags filled with 28rds apiece, 14 40mm HEDP rifle grenades, and 2 hand grenades. Strapped on my back would be the Benellie M4 shotgun with a blackhawk sling that holds 15 shells. Beat that!!!
    Last edited by Love Life; 04-27-2011 at 06:53 PM.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by BulletFactory View Post
    Feels like Im talking to the brady bunch here. Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need one and not have it.
    Ride and condescending. Typical.

No one is saying YOU shouldn't carry what YOU feel comfortable with, The problem is that you are trying to make other people agree with your opinion of what's right for you. Life doesn't work that way. 99% of the time I don't carry at all, but I'm not saying you should do the same. Do as you wish and stop trying to FORCE your opinion on other people.

Boolit Buddy
    When I was on the job, I carried a Sig 28 with 2 extra magazines and a S & W 9mm snubbie as a backup that would use the same ammo that was in my extra magazines in case my primary became unusable.

When I wasn't working, I carried a s & w mdl 49 or a walther ppk with no extra rounds at all. I felt equally supported in both instances. When the risk is lower, the need for extra rounds diminishes proportionately.
    In these parts, often one's very life may depend on a mere scrap of information.

Boolit Man
    Interesting thread, It's all about opinion and situation. A couple of months ago in Afghanistan I ws issued 45 Rnds of 9mm and 210 Rnds of 5.56. I "aquired" about double that and carried it all if off base. As an Air Force Engineer I didn't need it often but the situation and possible need were much greater there. At home I don't carry. Don't getme wrong, I agree with conceal carry and have a permit, I just think in my situation working where I do (Federal Govt) the amount of time I can legally carry is very limited. When hunting It depends as well. If Deer/Elk hunting i only carry 12-20 Rnds. If Duck/Goose hunting I carry 150 Rnds. If I had a different job and lived somewhere else I guarantee it would be different. Just my $ .02. Joe
    You always think you have enough Boolets, until the Zombies come.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

As in my previous post, I usually only carry a cylinder full. If I ever run into a problem where I have to use my carry piece, it will probably be face to face, up close and no more than one or two rounds will be needed.
    I hope that never happens.
    I don't frequent places that I think that I might get into a fire fight, but if you are in areas like that then I can see the need for extra mags or speed loaders. My advice would be to avoid places that would require that type of fire power because if a fight started you probably won't make it out anyway.
    I sometimes think many that carry go just a tad overboard of what their actual needs may be.
    I don't want the burden of carrying a high capacity pistol and one or two extra mags or one or two speed loaders for a revolver.
    If you look at real situations that have taken place in the past, I'd think that most have been settled with very few rounds fired. I'm not talking about gang wars here. Just plain old going to the grocery store, Wally World, the dry cleaners, McDonnell’s, a nice restaurant, or any place a normal guy and his family would go. Plus just defending yourself against an intruder in your home in most cases have never required more than a round or two.

Carrying more than you are comfortable with becomes a problem in itself many times. Sometimes you don't carry because you just don't like that extra bulge under your waistband or fooling with loading all the extra mags, speed loaders in your pockets/belts is just to much to do to run down to the local grocery.

But to each his own. If you want to carry 40 rounds then that is your business and your right.
    Myself, I’d rather carry more often with less than carry less often with more because I’m uncomfortable.

Just my $.02.
    Last edited by Down South; 05-02-2011 at 09:27 PM.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Banned

Im not getting where you're coming from with the claim of "the burden of carrying a high capacity pistol", when they are generally lighter, and slimmer than the revolvers you refer to. Especially when you can reload more rounds faster.

Comforting! Not comfortable.... Ain't no other way to roll. Why people bash others because of their gear is beyond me. Some folks like J frames, others prepare for war. So friggin' what?

Boolit Man
    Carry a 1911 with 8+1 and two spare Chip McCormick 10 rounders and a .357 snub as a backup with a speedloader. Keep a collapsed M-4 in the truck with 3 30 rnds. So I guess a total of 119 rnds.

well, if we are counting whats in the truck, then i am well over 100 rounds. usually between 13 & 29 on my person at any given time, unless it i am carrying a bug, then add an additional 13 to either number. and then there is one other option, if i am hunting, then.............
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.