WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone ever moved there lead stash across the country?

Boolit Master
    I would rather have another root canal than move. I end up moving every couple of years. I would cast all I needed and sell the rest. When I got to the other side I would use up what I had cast and when the inventory got low I would get more led as needed.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Buddy
    I drove 1600 miles round trip to buy 500# of Linotype for $100 dollars. Visited w/parents-family while i was there. Fun trip...

you guys are a Hoot. love the comments. my mail man makes me go to his truck to get my packages or quickly runs (well i have really never seen him move quickly) to my door to put a sticky on it to tell me to pick it up at the post office, ...

my suggestion on moving lead would be make more boolits shoot a whole bunch more and then you don't have to move it ...

great suggestions all. i personally am not looking forward to ever moving and my son will probably disown me if i do have to move . am up over 1200# and just scored another 450#pure lead from the local machine shop bars, chips, scrap for a 12 pk of Pepsi and a 5 gallon bucket from the local tire store for free. headed back to the machine shop today to pay my bill 12pk in hand and most likely another 400# of lead scrap. now i just need to find someone who wants to trade pure lead for some WW so i can mix and use my pure lead Any one interested in Tradin?

I moved over a ton in the shipping container and another 1/2 ton in the bed of my PU from Alaska to Southern OH. If I had to do it again, I would have moved DOUBLE the amount.

Boolit Mold
    Got a company relo during the good old days (2003). The moving guys eyes went wide as saucers when they saw my thousand pound stash of ingots. They were very happy as there was a weight component to the moving charges...and even offered to move all the loaded ammo too.

Boolit Master
    I moved about 5 ton of lead from Alaska to Montana and back, does that count?
    I bought a school bus to haul it in and had lots of room for other stuff too.
    I think I gave about $2600.00 for the bus and at that time it had about 35,000 miles on it. I still have the bus but it is now my hunting camper. It of course now has a wood stove in it but hay that goes without saying right.

Cast Hunter

Yes, several times. Of course I don't lift anything, the movers do and they all hate me.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    jimfix44 is right when he says it should be left here in Nebraska. You know the old saying:

"What's smelted in Nebraska, stays in Nebraska."

For a half share, I'll make sure jimfix doesn't use more than 50% of your stash.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
    I like the mailing idea. I also will have to look into the pod's idea. I will have to move my lathe, my mill and all my machining tools. I have to move a garage full of hotrod parts and tools. to mechanics chests and a house full of ****.
    I moved the same list as you. Lathe, Mill, odds and ends of two full tool chests, hotrod parts, and about 4,000 lbs of lead. From Texas to North Carolina.

When I looked at the costs vs. tradeoff's what worked for me was to hire a 48 foot trailer (a standard 18 wheel trailer) from a trucking company. I had them drop off the trailer in front of the house. I hired three guys for two days and we filled that 18 wheeler with everything. Including the lead which I had in .30 caliber ammo cans (ingots). I rented a 5,000lb forklift and palletized a bunch of stuff. We also were able to build a deck mid level in the trailer with special bars that came with the truck. Installed the bars and laid down 3/4" plywood for a deck and were able to stack lighter stuff on top to fill the whole truck. I estimate we filled the truck 90% which was pretty good. The weight was only 60% of max load. All the household stuff fit.

That was what was most economical for me given my other choices. When the stuff got to NC, I hired two semi-local guys to help me unload. I only had to rent a forklift for one day to unload. I just unloaded everything into the garage.

I won't ever do that again. It would have been smarter to sell the lead and then over time, build up the stash again.

I've moved three times since then, and now when I move, 90% of the lead is sold. It generally takes me 2-3 years to replace the stash by just being diligent and patient.

I cringe when I think how much that lead cost me in the three moves.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Boolit Master
    I heard about a guy who likes to buy cars when he's driving around out of state.
    He will buy a trailer to get a car home, then maybe sell it. He has 3 trailers now.
    Usually not hard to get rid of a trailer.

We moved about 1000 miles in a Ryder, towing a pickup. I didn't have much lead then but we had both vehicles full of stuff. Also another car packed full.
    Hired movers to help us load the truck, they stole a couple of boxes.

Boolit Master
    Moving sucks. No two ways about it. Last time I moved about 3 years ago I had over 18,000lbs of lead to move. Fortunately it was just across town but still it took the better part of a day with two other guys helping me. Right now I am again relocating this time about 15 miles further up the keweenaw but with just under a ton of lead.
    Some where between here and there.....

I have a few hundred pounds of ingots in storage on the west coast in a utility trailer. Fuel prices have really put a damper on bringing that trailer to the east coast. Trying to figure out how to get my trailer back without dumping $1500 in fuel. Stinks.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm up against this now as well. Got what I estimate as about 800# in my stash that I've been accumulating for the last few years. The last year or so I've been relentless in my search as the free wheelweights are rapidly drying up here in Maine and I'm trying to accumulate as much of a lifetime supply as I can while the getting is good.

Naturally, I JUST moved my stash to its "permanent" storage spot, behind my deck in five gallon buckets filled to the top with 2# ingots. I had to put a plank under them to keep them sinking in the soil and tried to move on that was full and fortunately right before my back started to give out the handle tore off the bucket. So guess I'm going to have to break them all down AGAIN into smaller receptacles for movement.

Ugh. Why couldn't I have a pillow collection or something? Why do all my hobbies have to be so HEAVY?
    "Yes, I handload almost exclusively. No, it isn't really cheaper, but I shoot a lot more...."

You have to remember that you are dealing with clueless idiots.
    They couldn't get a clue even if they rubbed clue musk all over themselves, and did the clue mating dance, in a room full of horny clues. -Matt G.