RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage 99

as long as you use brass fired in the rifle you should be able to neck size half a dozen times before you have to bump the shoulder back.

That's a good deal you go there, can't wait to see how it shoots for ya.

Boolit Master

Savage 99

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    When I aquired my 99 around 37 years ago, I loaded all my ammo with a lee loader, so yes you can neck size. I just couldn't use the brass from a friends rifle.
    The best hunter I've ever known, when he is not using a bow uses a Model 99 in 300 Savage. It has been apx 10 years since I saw him but at the time he was using a Lee Loader and Herters components he got with the used rifle.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by azrednek View Post
    The best hunter I've ever known, when he is not using a bow uses a Model 99 in 300 Savage. It has been apx 10 years since I saw him but at the time he was using a Lee Loader and Herters components he got with the used rifle.
    What is the old saying. Beware the man with one gun.

Boolit Master

for $ 350.00 I would not have hesistated even though I have no real use for a .300!
    They are just fine rifles worth having in themselves

I have a 60's vintage 99 in .308.....a very easy rifle to carry in the woods and with decent accuracy. Shoots cast very well !

Boolit Master
    I just finished ordering a set of Lee dies, brass, and an M die for it. I have a neck sizing die for my 30 Herrett that I might be able to make work, if not I'll pick one up later. I already have a Lee C312-155-2r that I'm using in my M77 308 Win., should be a good starting point.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    Because of the short neck, I had trouble getting a firm grip on boolits. I got a Lee factory crimp die and that made a big difference. You should have good luck with the Lee C312-155-2R boolit. My gun likes most of the popular 30 caliber boolits with the 311 291 right up there in the top performers. Lately I've been hunting more with my 99 than with any other rifle because it's light and just plain fast to get in action. If you plan on hunting in the woods with it and are going to use jacketed bullets, consider the Nosler 170 grain flat nose partitian meant for the 30-30. It's very accurate in my rifle and a heck of a deer killer.
    Maineboy

Banned

I have two 99s, the last one I bought was a basic in .300 Savage and I also payed $350 and thought I did well. They are good rifles, the trigger pulls aren't the best, but the .300 is better than my newer .250 I have. I think I'd buy just about any 99 that was complete and working for $350 lately, their prices seem to be going through the roof the past few years.

You did real good....99's are getting harder to come by all the time.
    johnny

In Remebrance

If you can find a 'smith that understands the 99 he can get the trigger really nice. My Dad could get them into the 3 lbs range with almost no felt creep. In fact I had make one trigger heavier after Dad had passed on because the owner had a stroke and couldn't feel the light trigger anymore. It about broke my heart to do it because that trigger was superb, but- safety first!