WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2

Thread: Small Base Dies

Small Base Dies

Do you need reloading dies that have a small base sizer for AR rifles? I'm planning on a 6.8 SPC caliber AR.

Boolit Bub
    Only if you have a tight match chamber. Which probaly shouldn't be in a AR rifle anyway.

Boolit Master
    If you buy factory loads for your brass (or buy virgin brass), you will not need small base dies. If you buy once fired cases or pick up brass at the range, you will find the occasional case that won't chamber after resizing, then you would need a small base die if you have enough problem cases to make the purchase of a die worth while.

Boolit Master

pistolman - No, you should not need small base dies. Of all the guys I've talked with that shoot matches with AR's, no one has ever mentioned small base dies. I don't think any smiths are cutting chambers that small. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

I shot and handloaded for a Colt SP1 for 9 years. I used standard RCBS dies and used all manner of used range pick-up brass. Never had a problem.

Dutch

Boolit Master

I have both 5.56 and 6.8 SPC uppers, I use bog standard Lee dies and never have a problem that I didn't cause. I use lots of range pickup in the 5.56 upper, no issues that were die related.

Vendor Sponsor

I talked to the RCBS rep (the head guy you most often see on TV) about this subject, and he said " his small base dies were only .002-.003 smaller than the mean tolerance of regular run dies and that the tolerance range of regular dies can and doesdrift into the "small base category" depending on the trend in the run" (machinist talk for which direction a certain dimension walks as a tool wears.)

He further said that unless you have a very tight chamber, and he meant an abnormaly tight chamber, you would never need small base dies.

Randy

Boolit Mold
    I have been reloading for 3 AR's(2- Colts and 1- Bushmaster),and never needed a small base die for any of them.