Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: a brass question

Boolit Master

a brass question

hi , i have some once fired L.C brass its marked L.C 42 and L.C 52,.
    my problem is i cannot seat a primer in them .
    are they some kind of military designation or something or am i using the wrong l.r primers( they are reg center flash hole shells, can,t see any crimp in there either). have a great one .
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Master
    You may need to swage the primer pockets.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Try a 60 degree countersink (or a champher tool) to break the edges of the primer pocket. 1/32" or 3/64" should do it.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

They are military and they are crimped. Like stated you need to remove the crimp.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    As mentioned, most military ammo has crimped primers to prevent them from backing out of the pockets when fired/jolted around in an automatic weapon. There's at least two methods, ring and stake crimping, although you may just have tight pockets. After depriming the case, the crimp must be removed before seating a new primer or it will be crushed/deformed and useless.

It's an old problem and been around for years. Fortunately the reloading community is a wise bunch and has answers! After all, good brass shouldn't be rejected for any reason.

RCBS (and others) make a primer pocket swaging device (uniformer) that screws directly into your press and will push the crimped brass over in addition to making sure the pocket is to SAMMI standards. It's not expensive. I've found that it's best to swage the pockets, then go back through and use your case mouth reamer to cut a small bevel at each pocket edge.....a trick given to me by one of this forum's members. That little bit of bevelling made all the difference in the world.

Boolit Master
    The LC is for Lake City and the 42 and 52 are the years of manufacture (1942 & 1952). Though it is dangerous to assume, I would assume this was for military use and the primers were crimped in place. You can carefully use the chamfer tool as suggested but that does remove some metal, something I would be hesitant about. A far better method is to use a primer pocket swager such as this one. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=447022

Boolit Master
    I have tried many of the primer pocket tools, and have come to the conclusion I like the Hornady one the best (for my needs).
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

I use the RCBS primer pocket swager.

Works nicely.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Bub
    A small, sharp pocket knife also works if you have more time than money. After all, you only have to do it once.

Boolit Master
    As mentioned above, the Hornady reamer tool works well. Just give it a twist and the crimp will be gone.

$10.29 - Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer Tool Small
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=501588

$10.29 - Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer Tool Large
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=176759

$18.99 - Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer Package
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=804809

Midway and Grafs both seem to be out of the small one right now, but I believe you can backorder it.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

I reload lot of military ammo brass and Dillon crimp remover does great job but then if not loading in the thousands as i am then there are some good ones that work great but i bite boolit and bought the Dillon before got carpal tunnel sydrome.

Boolit Master

I use the Hornady without handle chucked up in my drill, it bottoms when done. I can do alot of brass in a short time this way.

Boolit Master

I have both the Dillon Super Swage AND a 60* chamfer that I just happened to have in my tool box. I love the Dillon for large lots of brass but the chamfer also works perfect AND the chamfer actually worked better on the **** FC brass I got because it removes just the very lip and therefore the crimp but it did not loosen the pocket.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

I also use the Dillon and a counter sink, both work excedingly well. Gave up on the RCBS primer pocket swager. Haven't used one but the Hornady tool looks pretty good too.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    thanks fella's, i will take your reccomendations and advice and snagg me one of those swages ,this brass is too good to lay idle in my room.
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.