RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you document your guns?

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Stillwell, mine are on 3.5" floppy's. Time for an update.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have a hand written log of most of my gear and all of the guns for disposal reasons. The stocks are tagged inside. I never thought about putting them on a disk,I guess that's too easy,pics are a better idea yet. I added a low ball value/replacement value line in my book with what I paid and where/who I got them from too. Its nuts what some of them are worth compared to what I paid. There's a shotgun w/a spare bbl that I can't replace the bbl for what I paid for both. Swmbo was tripping when she saw the cost of 2 RockChuckers,600jr and a Sizemaster. So don't forget the tools on your tally sheets,its unlikely they'd be stolen but loss is what we're protecting.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

I keep a written record.Includes sn and accessories,scratchies,dents,dings.How much it cost and who I bought it from,to include reciepts.Anything else that might help with ID.Pics are a great idea,I should do it.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master
    Simple Excell spread sheet with....

Type...Make...Caliber...SN...Date Purchased...Amount Paid...Current Value...Notes

This is on my computer, backed up by Carbonite back-up service. It is also on a thumb drive

I then take pictures of each firearm and store them on Fotki photo hosting service.

In this way, my house could blow up and the info is stored "on the cloud" as they say..........
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Since I lost all my firearms in a boat accident, it is a moot point to me.

However, some things I still possess - I photograph, record serial numbers, descriptions, valuations and send the info to my sister in Ohio, my brother in Tennessee, my daughter in Washington, and my son in New Hampshire........ plus I send a printout to my "other address".

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Master

Look here for software to catalog your guns.
    http://www.tmtpages.com/

I still have mine on an Excel spreadsheet but fully intend to get Tom's program. Just been too lazy so far and haven't set up to photograph them. He is a member here too.

John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

The Canadian government documents my guns at a $2 billion plus cost to the taxpayer. It is called gun registration. I have got a little piece of paper that is called a registration certificate and they can seize the gun,and charge me under the Canadian criminal code if I do not have the gun registered or can not prove in court that the gun is registered.

Thumb drives and spreadsheets are all well and good. But anything electronic is very vulnerable to failure. I take photos and have everything written down in several places. One little thing I add to the mix is "propaganda". There have been more than several instances of someone finding out I have lots of firearms--usually through work, etc. when someone I know slips to someone I don't know. I have several of my firearms equipped with a GPS tracking chip that allows me to pull up their exact location in real-time along with a complete travel log through a secure server. I also don't deal with thieves through local police--they simply get every part of their body broken that came into contact with my property... HEHE--wanna buy a bridge with that story?

Riff-raff tend NOT to want to take the chance that story could be true, and they don't want to find out the hard way if it is.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Look here for software to catalog your guns.
    http://www.tmtpages.com/

I still have mine on an Excel spreadsheet but fully intend to get Tom's program. Just been too lazy so far and haven't set up to photograph them. He is a member here too.

John
    W.TN
    That is a really good looking program! Plus once you enter all the info you can print a hard copy and slip it in the safe deposit box.

Boolit Master

My guns are all individually insured. The insuarnce company has all the model numbers and serial numbers in their records and these are available on line. I also have a word document that has this information and pictures of each firearm. A hard copy of this is stored in my car.

Moderator Emeritus

Well, no one helped me with a spreadsheet file,
    So I did a search...I should have done that first.

Here it is, in case anyone else here needs it.
    you need the excel program or the "free" openoffice program
    http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2009/01/inventory.html
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Well, no one helped me with a spreadsheet file,
    So I did a search...I should have done that first.

Here it is, in case anyone else here needs it.
    you need the excel program or the "free" openoffice program
    http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2009/01/inventory.html
    Jon
    I downloaded it but it didn't work in Excel 2007. I'll check it on an older version when I get home.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    My guns are all individually insured. The insurance company has all the model numbers and serial numbers in their records and these are available on line. I also have a word document that has this information and pictures of each firearm. A hard copy of this is stored in my car.
    This is why I don't carry a "gun rider" on my insurance. I decided that I'd rather keep my guns than have them stolen and have to replace them (impossible), so I bought a good safe. The safe is tax-deductible, while the insurance is not. In addition, I don't want anyone outside the family having a list of what I own.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-Stew View Post
    This is why I don't carry a "gun rider" on my insurance. I decided that I'd rather keep my guns than have them stolen and have to replace them (impossible), so I bought a good safe. The safe is tax-deductible, while the insurance is not. In addition, I don't want anyone outside the family having a list of what I own.

Regards,

Stew
    I attempted to have my guns added to my insurance policy several years ago and was told that I would have to get a dealer(or someone they recognized as competent) to value them. The alternative was a safe and that was the alternative I chose.

Has anyone looked into the NRA insurance program? I seem to remember looking into it once a long time ago and the limit was so low, I thought, why bother?

I hate to admit it, but every time we leave home for more than a day, I worry about thieves breaking into my shop and stealing tools, guns, etc.

John
    W.TN

Boolit Mold
    I have no guns. I sold them and bought a stick. I just hang out here for nostalgia.

I at one time listed all of them on a spread-sheet. I found out that I had twice as many as I thought I had. Folks that have that many guns scare the hell out of me!
    trk
    aka Cat Whisperer
    Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
    N 37.05224 W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

E mail the stuff to yourself on hotmail or Gmail where you don’t have to worry about your in box filling up. The inventory is safe, and you have it wherever there is a internet access.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Take pictures, use the make/model/serial for a caption and save the either on photobucket, or by emailing the pictures to yourself on gmail.
    Everybody grab a shovel, we got a swamp to drain.

Are you sure you want to post your inventory on the internet?
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    I sold all my guns to some (very friendly) Mexicans at an Arizona gun show. Now I just cast and develop loads on the non existent guns that I keep around. Since they don't exist, I can't very well document them, can I? All the rest I keep buried in a friend's field in Canada, or in my secret underground bunker, so no one will ever find out about them. I also make a point of never mentioning them, especially on internet forums.