Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lee Mold Handles

Boolit Buddy

Lee Mold Handles

Will lee mold handles work with RCBS 2 cavity molds??

Banned

LubeckTech

No, not even close. I wish they did also.

Gary

Boolit Master

Gary is correct. I just modified a set of Lee handles so they would work. It is a job for a grinder and some patience. Mine do work but they ain't pretty no more!. I plan to sell mine and get the correct handles sometime down the road. If you plan on getting a lot of RCBS moulds then I'd suggest you go ahead and invest in the RCBS. If you only have a single mould block or two, then you can get by as I did by grinding/trying/grinding, etc.

Boolit Master

If you are going to keep the mold its faster to open it but It wont sell. so Its your call .

Boolit Master
    Been there and done that. It is best just to go and get a pair of RCBS handles somewhere I think. The Lee handles I have filed and ground were hard to get exactly right and the blocks ended up not mating properly, ended up throwing them away.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Bub
    It can be done. I modified a set of Lee handles after reading about here a few years ago.

Here's a thread that will help:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=91982

IIRC I disassembled the handles, filed them to fit, then sanded with a fine grit. I also stamped them RCBS so I can keep track of them.

Boolit Master
    Since I have more time than money, I've modified Lee handles to accept both Lyman four-cavity and RCBS moulds.

Boolit Master
    +1 with 462
    Modification of Lee 6 cavity handles is very easy and a person doesn’t' have to take much off to get them to work. I start with the bottom of both and go slow at it with a grinder. When they are close I put them back together and place them so the tong end (metal part of handles) is on a flat surface, usually on the end of the work bench, and then run a file across both to ensure they are flat/level with one another. The whole process is very painless if you have the tools and ability.

Boolit Buddy
    I have read the Lyman molds work with Lee handles - is that true and if they do work is it just barely or really well? My project at the moment is to cast heavy bullets for the .357. I shoot IDPA with a moon clipped S&W 686, being moon clipped the gun must be shot with a major power factor load. I have been using a 180gr GC bullet in .38spl brass that chronographs about 950fps. The bullet I have been using has come form a guy in PA and cast with the RCBS 357-180-Sil mold that I might purchase from Midway. I have other lee six cavity molds and don't want to modify my current handles. Lyman makes a 195gr mold #358430 that I might consider if my current handles would work properly. Will RCBS handles work with Lyman molds??
    Last edited by LubeckTech; 03-24-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    Lee six-cavity handles and Lyman two-cavity moulds are a perfect match...not so with Lyman four-cavity moulds, though, as stated above.

I've machined down some Lee handles before. It's a little rough on the end mills. The metal that they make them out of is a little hard & it throws a lot of heat when you cut it. It's a bit brittle too. It almost seems like a sintered metal. I don't know what the actual material they use really is.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus