RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cast Bullet Storage

Boolit Grand Master

Cast Bullet Storage

Not certain if you have these stores in your area where everything in the store is $1.00

Ours are called " Dollar Tree".

I'm buying these nice heavy duty plastic containers at " Dollar Tree " that have a threaded seal
    on the top. Once this lid is on , IT'S ON !

Holds about 200 or so Lee, 125 gr. RF, 38/357 cast bullets. BTW.....this bullet
    is quickly becoming one of my favorite 38 / 357 cast bullets. These come from
    a Lee 6 cav. mold. These drop from the mold at .3595 ".

Keeps them clean and dust free. 4 of them for $1.00.

Has worked out well for me for storage of lubed & sized cast bullets.
    That stack well on the shelf to maximize your shelf space.

Ben

Last edited by Ben; 03-10-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Banned
    I really like the containers that Dole Mandarin oranges come in , and I really like Dole Mandarin oranges.

Gary

Boolit Master
    Similar, I use the Ziploc storage containers that my lunch meat comes in and I eat a lot of sandwiches.

Boolit Grand Master

I also frequent the various "Dollar" stores (Dollar Tree, Dollar General, etc) for plastic boxes. I much prefer somewhat larger rectangular boxes with flat inside bottoms. Here is my current favorite:

There is one fundamental problem with all of the Dollar Stores. They are principally sales outlets of over runs and over stocks and as a result you cannot depend on them to have a particular item in stock at any given time. It can drive you bonkers. However, on the other hand, you can check out various different stores and can find different objects on sale at any given time.

However, the high cost of gas, these days, discourages much looking...

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master
    Dale :

I'm not too certain that I don't like yours even better than mine.

Ben

Longwood
    If you use a Lee sizer, just stick a small drink bottle on it instead of the cup affair they give you with the die. When the bottle is full put a cap on it then simply cut open the free bottle when you need the bullets. Nicest thing is how little room they take up.
    Check your recycling centers, I found some great heavy duty aluminum boxes for scrap price at the one here

Boolit Grand Master
    I second Dollar Store containers. Sometimes the structural integrity is low end, but I have purchased containers that can withstand the weight of lead boolits.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    I use empty coffee cans. We empty a large can a week, so I have plenty. The plastic ones are for brass storage and the metal ones for boolits.

The large cans will hold about 1,200 H&G #68 45-200-SWCBB, 1,400/1,500 38-150-SWCPB or 2,000 09-125-SWC/RN/TC. Altho I don't put that many in as it could hit 36 pounds! The new metal ones with the lip around the top are a bit of a hassel, but I have a bunch of the old ones that you opened with a can opener.

I also use plastic shoe boxes I bought at Wally World for a buck each many years ago. All my 38 Super brass are in the shoe boxes.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Master

I use Jif peanut butter containers. The biggest problem is cleaning them out prior to use. I found myself buying different sizes to get the size jar I needed.

John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I have been useing hard lubes exclusivley for over 20 years . So i store my bullets in 2 1/2 gallon plastic buckets with a lid . I bought 20 for that purpose or any sturdy container that i can get alot of so stacking/ storing is uniform .
    I have possibly 30,000 bullets stored in this manner .

Boolit Mold
    I use the flat, square or rectangular "tin" gift boxes some candy or cookies come in. They have slip on lids to keep out dust. Rec'd as Christmas gifts, cheap at Sal Army store, I think I have seen them for sale at different craft stores & Marshall's. I have different sizes, but they are sturdy enough to stack swell. It would be nice to have all the same size, but... I prefer metal over plastic containers. Plastic will disinegrate, and when a box splits the first thing you say is I should have used something better.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by casterofboolits View Post
    I use empty coffee cans. We empty a large can a week, so I have plenty. The new metal ones with the lip around the top are a bit of a hassel, but I have a bunch of the old ones.
    A can opener will take that lip right off the new cans.

S.W.

Boolit Master

I use Folgers plastic coffee cans. I use the really big ones we get at Sams Club and the medium size ones from the grocery store for brass, and the medium and small ones for bullets. Also use plastic cat litter buckets for ingots and bulk purchase corn cob media (for brass tumbler) and saw dust (for fluxing). Coffee and cats, what can I say.

Moderator Emeritus

Plastic food storage containers, like pictured in the OP have a short "safe" life when used for food, especially when you heat the food in a microwave, sometimes the food gets too hot and blisters the plastic. That's when they become boolit storage containers in my house. Bacteria will get in those fissures and it's nearly impossible to get safely clean.

Just my 2’
    Jon

PS: I like the peanut butter jars too
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I have a couple like Dale uses, they're very nice and rugged. I also have a tiny one about 2 inches square that I store gas checks in...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    I also frequent the various "Dollar" stores (Dollar Tree, Dollar General, etc) for plastic boxes. I much prefer somewhat larger rectangular boxes with flat inside bottoms. Here is my current favorite:

There is one fundamental problem with all of the Dollar Stores. They are principally sales outlets of over runs and over stocks and as a result you cannot depend on them to have a particular item in stock at any given time. It can drive you bonkers. However, on the other hand, you can check out various different stores and can find different objects on sale at any given time.

However, the high cost of gas, these days, discourages much looking...

Dale53
    Them are some good looking boolits now I am jealous.
    I am trying to get in on a group buy for the same boolit but it is not a hollow-point.

This is what I'm currently using, I do like being able to do a visual check of my inventories.
    The ones that a loosely tossed in the bins are as-cast, stacked in neat little rows are ready to go.
    I need to get better about writing down the alloy on the bins as well in my casting log,so when I have the same profile with two different alloys I can tell them apart.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC07382.jpg   DSC07384.jpg   DSC07383.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I use Jif peanut butter containers. The biggest problem is cleaning them out prior to use. I found myself buying different sizes to get the size jar I needed.

John
    W.TN
    Run 'em through the diswasher (or the top shelf away from the heating element). Mine come out spotless.
    Netherwolf

Ooh, Ooh, my turn. I like show and tell. I use these storage boxes from Walmart. They cost a little more, but they come in pretty colors. Red is for .380acp, blue is .38 special, clear is 9mm, and green is 30-30. Peanut butter and mayonaise jars are for cast pistol boolits.

Me next. Here's mine ~ I use tackel boxs. Must have about 20. Every time I pass the fishing shop I pick one up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tackle box.jpg