Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rem Spartan Single 7.62X39 Range Test

Boolit Master
    There is one over at Gunbroker NIB 30-06 for $200 buy it now price.
    Frank G.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    There is one over at Gunbroker NIB 30-06 for $200 buy it now price.
    The 30-06 is definitely more versitile than the 7.62x39, so would be a bargain for someone wanting a Spartan. I say that having just bought a CZ 527 7.62x39 at a gunshow yesterday. I didn't see a single Spartan there, but several of the CZs. I already have several 30-06s that are fine cast boolit shooters, and was looking for something else. The CZ has a short barrel, 5 shot magazine, single set trigger and is very lightweight. The downside is that it takes specific rings to mount a scope and they are extra $. Oh, and yeah, the CZ is 2-1/2x-3x the $ as a Spartan.

Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    I say that having just bought a CZ 527 7.62x39 at a gunshow yesterday. I didn't see a single Spartan there, but several of the CZs. The downside is that it takes specific rings to mount a scope and they are extra $. Oh, and yeah, the CZ is 2-1/2x-3x the $ as a Spartan.
    I have to wonder if your "dealer" stripped the rings from the package before selling you the rifle? I have two CZ-527 rifles in .223 and both came with factory rings in the box. Removing factory accessories - mags, rings etc. - and selling them separately is a common practice by some dealers so it's wise to know what should be in the box and let them know that you know. I consider the practice to be shady at best.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    Quote Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
    I have to wonder if your "dealer" stripped the rings from the package before selling you the rifle? I have two CZ-527 rifles in .223 and both came with factory rings in the box. Removing factory accessories - mags, rings etc. - and selling them separately is a common practice by some dealers so it's wise to know what should be in the box and let them know that you know. I consider the practice to be shady at best.
    Did your CZ-527s have iron sights? The carbine HAS barrel sights. The dealer I bought it from didn't have rings(I asked), so they were ordered today.

Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    Did your CZ-527s have iron sights? The carbine HAS barrel sights. The dealer I bought it from didn't have rings(I asked), so they were ordered today.
    One has barrel sights while the other doesn't. Both came with rings. One was purchased through Bud's Guns and the other from a local dealer.
    Last edited by doubs43; 03-01-2011 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
    One has barrel sights while the other doesn't. Both came with rings. One was purchased through Bud's Guns and the other from a local dealer.
    The last I knew, some CZ 527 rifles ship with rings, and some don't. The "American" should have rings, but I believe the Carbines don't. Burris also makes rings that fit and are less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by NHlever View Post
    The last I knew, some CZ 527 rifles ship with rings, and some don't. The "American" should have rings, but I believe the Carbines don't. Burris also makes rings that fit and are less expensive.
    I purchased Burris rings from Midsouth along with a Lee c309-150f and they were delivered today. I mounted a Nikon 1.65-5x36 Slughunter this afternoon, and hope to get to the range tomorrow. Since its a bolt action, I started a new thread elsewhere. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=108785

Banned

Range day Again

Some pokey loads grouped pretty bad today. With 19 gr. A5744 and the 150FNGC bullet, 50 yd groups were 3 to 3.5 inches- Pitiful!. Cartridge necks very blackened from low pressure also.

I jumped from 26.5 to 27.3 grains with the H4895 Group size stayed the same at 1.2" @50 yd. with the 150 gr FNGC. No pressure signs, I will crank this up

Two faster loads both grouped under an inch with the same bullet: 28 gr H335 did the best so far at .720" at 50 yds. According to my references a Jacketed bullet with that charge has a velocity of 2100 fps, so the cast would be faster likely by 100 fps or so. This load surprised me. I will work up the Accurate 2230 beyond this velocity and if it groups this well it will be the deer load. Got a lot of 2230 but that was the last of the H335. Very slight flattening of of primers, with the H335---getting there.

The 26 gr. of A2230 grouped 1.7" @50 and had A low pressure sign also, the necks of the brass slightly blackened.

Fired 50 rounds with the Spartan today, 2 bullets had dragged a little chambering, upon rolling them on the table for a visual of runout, they failed the visual.. My bullet seating is usually much better than that. I'd like to know exactly how I did that .

Before preparing the ammo for this trip , I re-checked for LOA, dropping a bullet in the chamber and using a depth gauge with some arithmetic to come up with a more accurate measurement. 2.120" LOA puts me .004 off the lands as best I can tell after 3 trials with 3 bullets. All today's loads were seated to that LOA with the .312" sized 150gr FNGC. ( BHN-14 )

I re-checked the LOA after noticing some land marks on unchambered rounds that were longer than 2.120" at a previous range trip. I feel good with the new LOA on the 7.62X29 with my rifle.

Gary
    Last edited by onondaga; 03-08-2011 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by onondaga View Post
    Some pokey loads grouped pretty bad today. With 19 gr. A5744 and the 150FNGC bullet, 50 yd groups were 3 to 3.5 inches- Pitiful!. Cartridge necks very blackened from low pressure also.

Gary
    I wouldn't have expected blackened cases from low pressure at 19gr. One of my "go to" loads for my 336CB 30-30 is 17gr AA5744 under the 175gr Saeco #315. It is a little heavier, but the case is also a bit more voluminous, and I don't have that problem.

One of the nice things about the 30-30 case for cast bullet use is the fact that the brass is on the thin side and conforms to the chamber at very low pressure. I sure wish there were a larger variety of guns available in that caliber. Since I can't hunt much these days, guns besides my lever guns have more appeal. The 7.62x39 is more like the .308 Winchester in construction, and it takes a bit more pressure to get it to seal. The 30-06 is better in that regard than the .308 Winchester, and the longer neck is nice too. I used 8 grains of Unique behind the Lyman 311008 for a nice light load, and it grouped very well out to 50 yards anyway, and did seal the cases in the chamber. For deer, I would perhaps try the Lee C-309-150-FN. I was casting some this morning, and was thinking they would probably feed pretty well out of a CZ, but maybe not out of a Mini-30 I've been looking at. The only problem there is gettnig a mold, or alloy that casts large enough. Mine drops boolits at closer to .310 than to .311.