Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 475 BFR cylinder ?

475 BFR cylinder ?

Dad has cut some 45-70 down to 475 legnth to use in his new BFR. I don't have mine in hand to look, but are all the BFR's cut to accept the large rim of the 45-70 case? His is. Fits better than the 475 Hornady brass as well.

Boolit Master
    It is my understanding that standard BFRs in .475 are not cut for the big rim of the .45/70, but it is easy enough for any gunsmith with the proper reamer to do it.
    Semper Fidelis

Banned

No way, 45-70 rims are too large. They need turned down to fit. Better to change the brass then fool with the gun.
    Why not just buy .475 brass?

Well Ill have to get the camera out His accepts cut down 45-70 like the original 475 Linebaugh. It was bout NIB a month or 2 ago.

Boolit Master
    475 brass is much better than cut down 45-70 brass. I know I've had a 475 since 1988 when that was the only way to get brass. The 45-70 brass cut down does not hold the heavy bullets as well during recoil and with heavy loads more will jump crimp than with modern 475 brass. The internal case capacity is also greater with cut down rifle brass, meaning the brass walls re thiner and therefore weaker

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tek4260 View Post
    Well Ill have to get the camera out His accepts cut down 45-70 like the original 475 Linebaugh. It was bout NIB a month or 2 ago.
    Well I have mine here in front of me and a friends new one. The rim difference between a 45-70 and a .475 is .065".
    If you can get the 45-70 rim in our guns I will buy you a case of Jack and lunch.
    JWP is also correct about strength.
    Last edited by 44man; 02-27-2011 at 09:57 AM.

JT01724 Purchased NIB about 2 months ago. Custom shop cylinder?

Banned

I feel that work was done after and not from Magnum research unless a special order.

Boolit Mold
    This gun was bought off of gunbroker and appeared unfired when I got it. I just assumed all were made this way. It doesn't look altered to me. This gun came without the open sights and had a 2x leupold scope with leupold mounts and rings. I don't care for scoped handguns so I removed the setup and put open sights back on it from magnum research. It shoots fine with the 475 lnbgh loads from hornady but the big slot for the rim looks better with the 45-70 cases loaded in it to me. The hornady leverevolution cases fit fine when cut to length I cant load 45-70 loads and crimp them without cutting my dies down because they are shorter than reg 45-70's hulls. I figured this would be a good use for them. I have picked up quite a few around shooting places. But don't want to alter my dies to use them for 45-70 loads.

Banned

It will still work fine but I would just use .475 brass.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Kelly View Post
    This gun was bought off of gunbroker and appeared unfired when I got it. I just assumed all were made this way. It doesn't look altered to me. This gun came without the open sights and had a 2x leupold scope with leupold mounts and rings. I don't care for scoped handguns so I removed the setup and put open sights back on it from magnum research. It shoots fine with the 475 lnbgh loads from hornady but the big slot for the rim looks better with the 45-70 cases loaded in it to me. The hornady leverevolution cases fit fine when cut to length I cant load 45-70 loads and crimp them without cutting my dies down because they are shorter than reg 45-70's hulls. I figured this would be a good use for them. I have picked up quite a few around shooting places. But don't want to alter my dies to use them for 45-70 loads.
    Having never cut down a Hornady 45-70 I have no idea the thickness of the case wall where the bullet seats. Back in the day when we had to make the 475 cases from 45-70 cases Winchester cases were preferred because the case wall was the correct thickness, other brands needed to be neck reamed if they were to be used

Boolit Mold
    That's why the remington case I cut and reloaded at the same time won't fit. But as you can see the hornady fits fine and drops right in with no problem. I haven't fired it yet and only did the one to see how it fit. I wonder if when it opens up to fit the cylinder if it will be smaller in the webb and look funny.

Banned

The gun will shoot good with what you choose to use but buy some Hornady .475 dies and leave the 45-70 dies alone.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Well I have mine here in front of me and a friends new one. The rim difference between a 45-70 and a .475 is .065".
    If you can get the 45-70 rim in our guns I will buy you a case of Jack and lunch.
    JWP is also correct about strength.
    Can I use a hammer?
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    Can I use a hammer?
    Yes, but only a small one.
    Semper Fidelis

Well I'm a pipefitter so a small hammer is a 4 lb'er.

That will get it done.

Mail me that cylinder thingy and I'll get it back to you when I'm done.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Kelly View Post
    This is what I meant by leaving the 45-70 dies alone. You can't load the .475 with 45-70 dies. The .475 case only uses the 45-70 as the parent brass. EVERYTHING IS LARGER FOR THE .475. .475 brass is also stronger then cut down 45-70 brass.
    Yes, you can use 45-70 brass but you still need .475 dies.

Yep 45-70 has body taper that is blown out to form 475L.

Boolit Mold
    I used 475 dies. What I was talking about cutting the 45-70 dies was to make the 45-70hornady cases reloadable I would have to cut the base of my dies to use the hornady cases because the leverevolution cases are shorter and the crimp die won't crimp on the hornady hulls loading the shorter cases. This isn't my first rodeo I have been reloading for over 40 years. and yes I did the reloads with 475 dies not 45-70 dies. all of my 45-70 rifles are lever action's and require a crimp to keep the bullets from being pushed back in the case. I was just looking to use the shorter cases for something. They are lying around where I shoot often and I hate to waste brass.

Banned

i use the 38-55 cases cut down in my 375 supermag.
    it just gives me another level of performance, as i download them and it's easy enough to keep separated.
    keep your loads in the 45-70 pressure level and you'll have an easy way to tell whats what.
    you got the rest straightened out already.

btw i was slightly confused by the die comment also.