RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Myth on black powder

Boolit Master
    Here is a very good read when you want to talk Swiss powder.http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/bp_menu.html Now what I call corning will differ as I press mine in a press
    let it dry & then break it & then screen it.

But read this first & I will get back & do my read on the way I corn mine.My powder is more dense.

Fly

Boolit Buddy
    I wonder how much the growth rate of the tree affects the charcoal quality? The same tree grown in the north generally has denser wood than that species grown in warm southern climates.

-yarro

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I wonder how much the growth rate of the tree affects the charcoal quality?
    Yarro, here is an average yearly temperature in Yugoslavia ... http://www.climate-charts.com/Locations/y/YG13462.php
    Swiss - Schuetzen and formally KIK use alder buckhorn branches that are cut in late winter when the glucose content is highest. So don't believe growth rate is a consideration - it's the type of tree that is used to produce quality charcoal
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

I've got black willow that grows on my creek bank here in front of the house.
    My neighbors are always asking, "when you gonna cut your creek bank?'
    I alway tell them it is preventing soil erosion, as it seems to grow pretty fast.
    Now I have another excuse- "I'm gonna make charcoal with it, so I'm letting it get bigger!"
    Now when I do cut it, I'll be saving all the pieces.

I guess you work with what you have handy, eh?
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sometimes View Post
    I've got black willow that grows on my creek bank here in front of the house.
    My neighbors are always asking, "when you gonna cut your creek bank?'
    I alway tell them it is preventing soil erosion, as it seems to grow pretty fast.
    Now I have another excuse- "I'm gonna make charcoal with it, so I'm letting it get bigger!"
    Now when I do cut it, I'll be saving all the pieces.

I guess you work with what you have handy, eh?
    When you cut it, leave the stumps and they'll grow back. Also, if you've got green twigs left over, jab them cut-end down into the soft, wet soil of the creek bank, and they'll root where you put 'em... that way you can grow more.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I have some pics of the locals at harvest time on the alder and it is small in circumference. It is loaded on mule or horse drawn carts and appears to be no larger than wrist or smaller in size. It is more of looking like a scrub brush tree than one that wood be taken down here by a lumber company.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Yep, wrist or forearm diameter is about where a couple of mine are now. I've cut them down before clearing the bank occassionally every few years. I think I will leave them and prune them to replant as BulletGeek mentioned. They pop up every where anyway- the other side of the bank is mostly sycamore (American Plane tree)- not for long now that I know what I can do with the black willow!

What would be the smallest, useful diameter in making the charcoal?

What about using sycamore? It's kinda light and burns F-A-S-T when really dried out. I've LOTS of that down there, too! Maybe I can use that to build the fire to make the charcoal!

I'd better hurry before the govmint "rules" it illegal to build outdoor fires- working fireplaces are on the cap & trade hit list!
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    What about using sycamore
    Don't see why not ... Goex uses maple!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_pseudoplatanus
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

I meant this one-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platanus_occidentalis

Better for use as the charcoal making fire, I'd think.
    Very light, once completely dried out, and burns up fast.

Sorry for the high jack!
    USMC 1980-1985

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    PS: Your premise of using sugar only as the oxider is valid. A few old time manufacturers tried it and determined it to be of less quality gunpowder. ClearShot tried making a substitute sugar based powder back in 1999 - 2001 ... they shortly went out of business!
    I seem to remember that there was a crude form of powder that could be made from sugar & a chlorate of some sort. I always thought that the sugar was the fuel & the chlorate was the oxidizer. There was some down side to using that mix. I don't remember what it was.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

The main downside is that the what was a functional gun becomes parts of a gun. Some of those parts may be usable. Perchlorates have some use for this. Chlorates are only for primers in a gun. You are right about the sugar being the fuel.

IMO, chlorate gun powder would be a very last resort. Sure you're going to die if you don't.

Boolit Grand Master
    Clear Shot was made from ascorbic acid, not sugar. Google "Golden powder".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    I seem to remember that there was a crude form of powder that could be made from sugar & a chlorate of some sort. I always thought that the sugar was the fuel & the chlorate was the oxidizer. There was some down side to using that mix. I don't remember what it was.
    Possibly Potassium Chlorate. I made some powder years and years ago with that combination IIRC and it was VERY percussion sensitive. Not something that I would think desirable in a ML.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

Why would you die without gun powder?

They had bow & arrow, spear, atatl, sling,, bolo, tomahawks, axes, swords, etc. long before handgones, matchlocks, etc. Perchlorates are too advanced, IMO, to be an component in a "self-sufficiency" scenerio, and too corrosive as well.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master

Why would you die without gun powder?
    Everyone in the county is caring a torch, a pitch fork, axe & lynch rope. And they are getting to close to you for comfort?

Boolit Master

They had bow & arrow, spear, atatl, sling,, bolo, tomahawks, axes, swords, etc. long before handgones, matchlocks, etc. Perchlorates are too advanced, IMO, to be an component in a "self-sufficiency" scenerio, and too corrosive as well.
    Just salt & a little elec to make it. But it sure wouldn't be the top of the list of DIY powders for me. In & of it's self, it is not corrosive it the firing of it. It is the salt that is formed during combustion that attracts water That water is what causes the rust.

OT: 5 or 6 years ago when visiting a museum, the kids & I got to try a few different atatls. I didn't take long to get the hang of them. Half hour or so even the 6 year was able to hit the deer every try.

Boolit Master

I meant from a subsistance stand point, but I see your angle.

You may only have ONE shot, or possibly 2 to 12 extra with a couple of belt pistols, in that "facing down a angry mob" scenerio.

If that situation should present itself- you will know they are coming, and I wouldn't be out in the open doing any shooting "from the front porch" where they could see me.

Arrows would be so quiet, that when they get hit, it will put the FEAR OF GOD in them faster than any thunderstick could. Besides, where I live, the whole county won't be coming here. It will be the sneaky few at night that you will have to post a watch for, or a trip wire. And you won't be "going to town" for supplies armed like that either. The three S's apply.

For a group of trouble makers- a suitable application of a homemade claymore would apply.

Make ALL shots count, be cool and steady under fire, keep moving, and, if you have anything worth keeping, no one will walk away to tell about it- that will save your lead, powder, and extend your life.

Sorry for the short high jack.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master
    When are we gonna see the corning process?
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Banned
    I used the BUST A COMPRESSED PUCK method...........here is a broad overview of the procedure I used. http://fogoforum.us/blackpowder.php

I used fancy bra$$ labratory screens that I borrowed from a friend/former employer that runs an asphalt/concrete/soil testing firm.............but the idea is the same.

Boolit Buddy
    I enjoyed this one. This is one of the few threads I read from start to finish. I learned quite a bit about several issues/topics as the conversation progressed. I would also like to see it completed with the additional processes laid out. Maybe even get another "knock down n drag out" going. Livens things up and gets the blood hot and juices flowing. There's a lot of testosterone in the crowd we run with and rightly so...........

Mike
    " The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him neither harm nor favor"