RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FWL bans lead

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates

FWL bans lead

I just got this from a friend. Not sure if it is true or not BUT.

Federal Agency Bans Lead Ammunition for Depredation Hunting of Birds
    Citing the need to prevent lead toxicity hazards to wildlife, the Federal Government's primary wildlife management agency, the U.S. Fish and Wildife Service (FWS) has banned the use of lead ammunition for hunting nuisance birds. The decision was published by FWS as a final rulemaking action in the Federal Register.

American Bird Conservancy (ABC), the nation's leading bird conservation organization, expressed support for the decision in a letter sent today to Fish and Wildlife Service Acting Director Rowan W. Gould.

Depredation orders are issued by FWS to allow the killing of migratory birds such as crows, grackles, and blackbirds which are causing damage to public or private property, pose a health or safety hazard, or are damaging agricultural crops or wildlife. This new regulation will require the use of non-toxic ammunition in the control of these nuisance birds.

"We're very supportive of FWS in siding with wildlife on this issue. Depredation hunting tends to leave

large amounts of highly toxic lead ammunition on the ground that non-target birds and other wildlife

consume while mistaking it for food. Those birds or other wildlife will either die agonizing deaths

shortly thereafter or suffer severe illness for a prolonged period. We have had many discussions with

FWS about using non-toxic shot for all agency operations and we are very glad they have made this

decision" said Dr. Michael Fry, one of the world's leading avian toxicologists and Director of

Conservation Advocacy for ABC.

ABC had been one of the leaders in a group that had petitioned the Environmental Protection Agency on August 3, 2010 to ban lead ammunition used for hunting and lead fishing gear because of the toxic threats they posed to wildlife. EPA responded that they did not have the authority to regulate lead ammunition, though Congressional legislative history records document that they did have such authority. EPA then later denied the fishing gear portion of the petition saying that evidence of impacts from fishing gear were being addressed by some States, and national regulations would be overly burdensome. In the original petition, ABC and the other petitioners presented almost 500 scientific studies that documented widespread lead impacts to wildlife that result in the lead-poisoning deaths of up to millions of birds each year in the United States.

"This decision is important not only because it will keep a highly toxic substance from being strewn across the landscape, but it will also prevent birds or other wildlife that might scavenge the remains of lead-shot nuisance birds, such as Bald Eagles, bobcats and raccoons from becoming innocent mortality victims as well," Fry added."

"The paint industry got the lead out, the gasoline industry got the lead out, the toy industry got the lead out, the home building industry got the lead out of plumbing, and even the automotive industry most recently is getting the lead out of the wheel weights on cars. The lethal impacts of lead in our environment are so well documented and accepted by the science and health community that any deliberate release of lead into a public environment should be viewed as unacceptable. The Federal Government has shown concern for human impacts of lead - we are very glad they are showing the same level of concern for wildlife," Fry said.

American Bird Conservancy (www.abcbirds.org) conserves native birds and their habitats throughout the Americas by safeguarding the rarest species, conserving and restoring habitats, and reducing threats while building capacity of the bird conservation movement. ABC is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit membership organization.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Grand Master
    Oh, for cryin' out loud! Next thing you know, they'll outlaw lead fishin' sinkers and then tell the automotive industry that they can't use lead in batteries anymore.
    I wanna see 'em go out on an industrial construction site and tell the plumbing contractor he can't use lead anymore to pour the joints on floor drains and flush mount clean outs.

Kinda weird, not a word mentioned about lead shot for Upland game birds.

Quote Originally Posted by bowenrd View Post
    Shoooooo! Quiet! Don't worry that will be next. At one time it was believed that coffee was toxic. No one has yet to actually show me proof that all that lead has killed anything that wasn't shot with it. But then I never knew any babies that died from eating paint either... I can't swear that it does't happen, I just myself have not seen proof. Cars on the other hand... kill alot of people and everthing else. I think that I have enough lead to last me my life and I'm getting old and I really don't care what they think and I'm just gona keep shooting lead. I'm a COB (although I didn't join the club yet) so I 'm just starting to laugh at the a**holes. How are they gona stop me? Yea I was a cop fof 35 years but they just keep on passing stupid laws that don't do any good and can't be enforced. Rant over... for now.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Quote Originally Posted by bowenrd View Post
    Give them a little more time and they will get there.

JIM Check some of your fishing lure and spinner packages. "CAUTION THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS LEAD ETC." They are scareing the sheeple so much at every level with the magic word LEAD. Sure wish they would TEACH the sheeple that our lead is a natural mineral that has been around for longer than we have. There are many chemical compounds man has created that are far more deadly to all creatures than natural minerals.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

In Remembrance

Saw em at Bass Pro Shop. What was once lead fishing sinkers are now Tungsten.Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mumblypeg View Post
    Shoooooo! Quiet! Don't worry that will be next. At one time it was believed that coffee was toxic. No one has yet to actually show me proof that all that lead has killed anything that wasn't shot with it. But then I never knew any babies that died from eating paint either... I can't swear that it does't happen, I just myself have not seen proof. Cars on the other hand... kill alot of people and everthing else. I think that I have enough lead to last me my life and I'm getting old and I really don't care what they think and I'm just gona keep shooting lead. I'm a COB (although I didn't join the club yet) so I 'm just starting to laugh at the a**holes. How are they gona stop me? Yea I was a cop fof 35 years but they just keep on passing stupid laws that don't do any good and can't be enforced. Rant over... for now.
    Ingestion of lead by children causes developmental issues not death. It is a fact gleaned after many decades of serious study.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Ingestion of lead by children causes developmental issues not death. It is a fact gleaned after many decades of serious study.
    While this is true, I wonder how true. The world grew up drinking water from lead pipes, eating from lead/pewter plates and from ceramic and tile ware containing large amounts of lead. DaVinchi, Coperincus, Mercator to name but a few of the great minds in history grew up inundated with lead intake. Guess we did not get any development from them.

Boolit Buddy
    If thpeople that are believing this dribble out there dont soon get their heads out of their nether negions and vote all those bleeding heart libs out of office, this country is in for a very rude awakening. Until now all of the lead that has been shot by our fathers and our forefathers hasn't caused any problems that I'm aware of, and I don't see any problems with it in the future either. Our biggest problem is that people that think the way that we do are probably way less than 5% of the population of this country (my guestimate)talk about swimming upstream trying to fight this battle, I'ts more like swimmimg up a waterfall, and as much as I hate to say it I think our future is kind of bleak, and the future of this country that I love.............steg

Boolit Master
    I did some research and this apparently currently applies only to people with depradation permits for the removal of the species in the list. It doesn't (for the time being) refer to actual hunting seasons.. There is a 4 page write up that you can find by doing a search on "depradation lead shot". That's how I found it.

If you go HERE you can read it for yourself.

You'll need acrobat reader to actually read it.. likely the newest free reader, Acrobat 9.

Boolit Master
    Is any member of this forum still naive enough to believe other than what we know to be the truth?
    The brainwashing of the children that would someday be the adults that run the country started with the likes of Bambi in the 50's.
    There is an agenda to disarm us so there is little fear of armed resistance when we the people realize what they the rulers intend to do.
    The RKBA is being chipped away from all possible angles and the FEAR OF LEAD is just one of those.
    I think we all know that but seem to be able to do little about it.
    Sure you can make boolits/bullets from other things but there are many buts involved with that including the one that stops most folks, $.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    There is just one response to such obama inspired tyranny. JOIN, or DIE. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Meeting and seeing many of the younger folks in the population I've come to the conclusion that many of them have "issues" of one kind or another that need to be addressed. It's possible that some of the issues could be caused from exposure to lead but I doubt it.

This is a fact gleaned after many decades of serious study at WalMart.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I was just pointing out that children didn't die from lead exposure...but had developmental issues and that this claim was actually based on hard research and medical evaluations.

While the world was filled with lead at one time and there are even cultures today that feed their kids lead as a "home remedy" it's still not good for you. That's why we wash our hands after casting, right?

When it comes to lead the EPA has really tried to limit children's intake to practically zero even though a little ingestion may have no effect for most people.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Meeting and seeing many of the younger folks in the population I've come to the conclusion that many of them have "issues" of one kind or another that need to be addressed. It's possible that some of the issues could be caused from exposure to lead but I doubt it.

This is a fact gleaned after many decades of serious study at WalMart.
    jcwit,I have to agree with you. Many of them certainly act as though they have ingested something.
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Boolit Master
    How about that whenever they put any processed food in their mouth they are ingesting toxins. Ever read food labels?

In Remembrance
    I have always thought that these studys usually went the way the grant money came from, yes even the medical studies. Just in my lifetime several food that were found to be killing have been in later years changed to be the recommended food. It is just me but I don't hold much stock in these studies. They can and did ban lead on these particular birds kinda quietly but it gives them big inroads to further their agenda to all hunting and fishing. If everything that causes harm is so big a problem that it has to be outlawed, how come our population keeps growing by leaps and bounds and I haven't particularly noticed a shortage of birds or other animals either.

In Remembrance

If !!!!!!

Your government has saved the children from being poisoned by lead how come that the incidence of autism has increased so much in the last few decades? Researchers are baffeled.
    Maybe the result of eliminating lead is causing this. Who knows? Lets hear it for spending billions of our tax dollars for more research. Tell me more about the Northern Spotted Owl. How about the large buzzards in California. Are they making a miraculous recovery because of the lead ban? Save the children/wildlife at any cost.
    Few children nowadays are not in need of special treatment in some way or another. Tell me about vaccinations. Just encourage them to do what they can do.
    It is a miracle that I have lived to the ripe old age of seventytwo.
    Reading some of this s--t I sometimes wish I had not.
    The more that the government does to save the children the worse they become.
    Anyone see a pattern here? Conspiracy? Nah. Move along, nothing to see here. All this may be just more unintended results of flawed research.

Life is good

Quote Originally Posted by looseprojectile View Post
    Your government has saved the children from being poisoned by lead how come that the incidence of autism has increased so much in the last few decades? Researchers are baffeled.
    Maybe the result of eliminating lead is causing this. Who knows? Lets hear it for spending billions of our tax dollars for more research. Tell me more about the Northern Spotted Owl. How about the large buzzards in California. Are they making a miraculous recovery because of the lead ban? Save the children/wildlife at any cost.
    Few children nowadays are not in need of special treatment in some way or another. Tell me about vaccinations. Just encourage them to do what they can do.
    It is a miracle that I have lived to the ripe old age of seventytwo.
    Reading some of this s--t I sometimes wish I had not.
    The more that the government does to save the children the worse they become.
    Anyone see a pattern here? Conspiracy? Nah. Move along, nothing to see here. All this may be just more unintended results of flawed research.

Life is good
    I gotta go along with all of this. Us kids grew up with lead paint, leaded gasoline, lead shot and boolits...And the threat of one heck of a licki'n if we didn't stay on the straight and narrow. Yeah, I see a pattern too-for the worse!
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Mold
    The only "Lead to fear is high speed lead ! what the heck!!