WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How would you hunt these hogs?

Boolit Master
    At 20~30 feet a 12ga load of "00" buck would be my gun, second would be a Ruger 10/22 with high cap mag. Feeder is a great way to do it, just get in something off the ground that the pigs can't get to you in. Traps work great as well.

Boolit Master

.22LR in the eye or ear. Done deal. A buddy of mine usually gut shoots them (.270) so they run off and die off his property. If they do die on his property then he shoots the yotes off the carcass. They are for sure a problem here in GA. You can hunt them year round and use any caliber weapon you care to.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Live trap or foot snare would be my choice of way to go. There are a bunch of "traping" websites available. Probably one for the trappers association in your state. I visit "trapperman.com" regularly and you can probably find all the info you need there. Due to the body shape hogs are very difficult to body or neck snare but foot snares work real good and won't cost arm, leg and some fingers to buy. Just be "camped" close by as when he's snared it'll sound like a torture incident. Hogs are VERY vocal. After one or two are snared the rest will probably leave the area. Good Luck! 10 ga
    Last edited by 10 ga; 02-03-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: speltrin
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    .22LR in the eye or ear. Done deal. A buddy of mine usually gut shoots them (.270) so they run off and die off his property. If they do die on his property then he shoots the yotes off the carcass. They are for sure a problem here in GA. You can hunt them year round and use any caliber weapon you care to.
    I guess it is better to smell up the neighbors huh.
    You would think that with the cost of processed meat that there would be enough hunters willing to help out with that problem. I think many don't want other people on their property though, and for some their is good reason.

I would have a hard time gut shooting anything so that it would run off to die.

Boolit Master
    Either build this trap door or buy it. You will also need wire panels to complete the trap and tie the panels together with para cord onto t posts you drive into the ground. Me and my buddy built the door and catch 5-7 hogs at a time, all dispatched with a 22 rifle with head shots. When you walk up to the trap, they will be going, "Hog Wild". you will need a semiauto and a clear shooting area, you will miss some in the melee.

Use corn with beer poured on it for bait, corn soaked in diesel if you have problems with deer tripping the trap. Bait it up and tie the door open for a week letting them go as they wish before setting the trap.
    http://www.sportsmanscondo.com/produ...HogSlammer.htm

Boolit Master

thats a good idea, and it has the trap door right? Need an axe and a bayonet.
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Bait station, and I'd load some .44M heavy cast at around 900 - 1000fps + shoot 'em out of a levergun.

Banned

I would bait them, then get up on top of the barn or in a stand, so I had a good downward angle on the shot (you said it was kind of a populated area) and shoot the with a 435-450 grain .512 diameter slug out of a sixgun.

That is my idea of fun!

Banned
    I have always wanted to build and use functional Burmese Tiger Pit...whats the soil like?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    I have always wanted to build and use functional Burmese Tiger Pit...whats the soil like?

AHhhhhhhhhhhhh I needed that.

Boolit Buddy
    I kill 'em regularly in a trap at 5 feet distance with a 22 lr. between the eyes and 1 inch above a horizontal line through them. If you stand there and be quiet they will stop and look at you , BANG. Flop for a min and load them up. I will sat that if you use "larger" boolit/bullet and hit a wire on the trap, pain will ensue, (dont ask, well go ahead)
    But I do like the tiger pit idea, but here is like digging in concrete

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
    thats a good idea, and it has the trap door right? Need an axe and a bayonet.
    Well if you buy it from him all you get is the door, you have to buy the t posts and wire panels yourself from a local farm supply store. A friend and I had built some a few years back, its an old design, I was shown this and use it to show people an example of our traps and where to get one if you dont have welding equipment like we do.

They work very well, and keep on trapping after the door closes, they can get more in, but dont let them out. We didnt think it would work, but we have put game cameras on them and have never seen a loss. My buddies hog catch count on his place is over 100 in 2 years. That is with us killing them in the trap and not moving it. Honestly, sometimes we go months without setting the traps, the pigs seem to be nomadic. You will not see any sign for months, then they will be all over the place rubbing pine trees and tearing up food plots.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    That is with us killing them in the trap and not moving it. Honestly, sometimes we go months without setting the traps, the pigs seem to be nomadic. You will not see any sign for months, then they will be all over the place rubbing pine trees and tearing up food plots.

This is how they act in West Texas as well. I weld up my own traps with good results. Sometimes they are gone for 4 to 6 months and when they show back up it is in FORCE.

I do know that you WILL NOT erradicate hogs from a place by simply shooting them. You cant even trap them out, but a trap is more effective in getting numbers of pigs. They are smarter than deer and will flat outrun them. City slickers show up out here with giant magazine fed weapons thinking they are going to just slaughter 20 of them out of a single sounder when they walk out. Not going to happen folks. They are VERY fast.

Me and my two kids took upwards of 40 with guns last year. I shoot sixguns only and they use the rifles. Cant remember the number we took with traps.....BUNCHES.

It doesnt matter how many you shoot or trap, they are not going to completely go away.

A couple of years ago, Texas Ok'ed the hunting of hogs by Helicopter. Population of hogs is still growing.

Edited to add: I'm speaking of Live traps here, with both push gates and trap doors. I've never heard of snaring a hog. I'd imagine they'd chew through what ever you were trying to snare them with given enough time or the affected appendage

I once put 8 of em in a cattle trailer as it was dark when I ran the traps. I was going to try and catch a few more before I slaughtered them. That night, they actually tore the floor out of my trailer and escaped. Only time its ever happened, before or since. I just pop them in the trap now, with whatever .22 is on hand.

I build traps similar to the one pictured, but with floors and tops on them, where tthy can be easily hauled in a pickup bed. I just hook the trip wire to the floor of the trap and pour my bait pile around the wire. When they brush up against the wire, it trips a lever holding the door open. Welded on an inward angle with a push plate on the door, more can and do push there way into the trap.

Good luck to the OP in what ever he attemps....
    Last edited by chaos; 02-04-2011 at 12:16 PM.

In Remembrance
    Just choke em to death, you have got every other answer. lol

Boolit Master
    I killed every pig I ever raised with a .22 LR pistol shot straight down into the top of the head. None were under 250 pounds, none took a single step, or required a second shot. If you imagine an "X" formed by the ears and the eyes, and put the bullet roughly in the center of that X straight down, it will work every time. The key is to use a post hole digger to make a small deep hole for the grain. That keeps the pig in the same spot with their head stationary long enough to get a clean shot. I'm not saying this is an ideal hunting technique, only that it definitely works. It's a lot tougher to get that close to the wild ones. I would imagine that an accurate shot in the ear would work as well.
    BD

Trap em and stick em.
    They can take my guns when they get past my IED's.

Boolit Bub
    Are these the same pigs now making front page on Foxnew.com?
    Buckbeans

Boolit Master
    I live WAY out in the sticks. CLAYMOREs set at 90 degrees to each other, 200 ft. leade to a detonator, and a sacraficial deer corn feeder. I am currently putting corn in a straight line and shooting them with 50 BMG ball ammo. Killed 9 last week with 1 round. Best 2.00 I ever spent. I even have around 650 of his partners ready to go. With a smal deer feeder on a timer, you can have the hogs come in regularly. If you dont feel like hunting, they still get fed and get used to the feeder. The military surplus store here had some trip wires that activated a calalume night stick. I rigged it up in a circle around my feeder with the shielded infrared lightstick tripwire up under the feeder. Using my PVS4 nightvison, I see everything like daylight at 200 yards. Even with ar-15's, I can get 3 or 4 before they all run. Then in 5 minutes, some will come back and I usually get one or two more. The only thing I hate worse than a hog is a thief.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

I say we take off, and nuke the entire site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.....

I went out this afternoon and looked again. Heard a pack of coyotes fairly close twice. We found out the small opening is on her property. The plan is to set up a feeder later this week, and build a couple of 6' ladder stands. I could see fresh hog track, so we should be in the bacon before too long. Maximum shot would be 60 yards, so the S&W 44 mag will get a workout along with the guidegun.

The wind was blowing from the south, and where we are going to put the stands, should be perfect for either a north or south wind. The Benelli and Dead Coyote rounds will get the nod on the coyotes.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.