Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to start Cowboy Action in Spring

Looking to start Cowboy Action in Spring

I am thinking about starting Cowboy Action in the Spring and I have run across a good used LNIB .357 Ruger Vaquero SS. It was manufactured in 2002. What would be a good price to offer? He wants 485.00 but will take any resonable offer. Thanks!
    You'll shoot your eye out kid !

Boolit Buddy Blackhawk Convertable's Avatar
    I would offer $400 and go from there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BSkerj View Post
    I am thinking about starting Cowboy Action in the Spring and I have run across a good used LNIB .357 Ruger Vaquero SS. It was manufactured in 2002. What would be a good price to offer? He wants 485.00 but will take any resonable offer. Thanks!
    Go to gunbroker, etc for some prices. I like the Original Size VAQUERO like yours in both 357 and 44. I have gotten blued guns off auctionarms for $350 (three 5.5 inch 357s from the same seller over a year) but stainless runs higher, as do BISLEYS. A face-to-face sale saves shipping and transfer fees..about $50...and you get to examine it before you buy. Missouri has 8% +/- sales tax.

Hey mike in co...cowboy action shooting is a nice sociable sport....not too many people out for blood to win; a few, but a distinct minority. They shoot; spend some money on guns and clothes, etc; have a good time and don't bother anyone while they are doing it.

Boolit Master

Wink

I gave $400 for mine with an Andrews cross draw holster the weekend before thanksgiving, SS 4 5/8" .357. Show in P'cola. Was very surprized when I checked the price for the holster ($145), figured I done good. A real fun shooter.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Moderator Emeritus

About $400.00 would be in the ballpark.

And you'll never shoot with a nicer bunch of people. Those who disparage it have never tried it, and would probably get their butts whipped shooting against some of our women folk.......... I shoot with some people who can make a single action revolver sound like a machine gun, and never miss. My wife can make a leveraction rifle sound like a semi-auto, and she doesn't miss.

Besides, 80,000+ shooters can't be all wrong. There are more SASS shooters than there are IDPA, IPSC, ICORE and 3 gun combined.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master

And it's SASS. Don't know what ssas is. One of the best ways to get people to shoot at least once a month and start supporting our gun rights again.

don't forget,you'll need 2 handguns,so budget for the second one....and a carbine....and a shotgun.
    whooe,I'd forgot how 'spensive it can be to get started,but the smile on ur face after the match is worth it !!

Boolit Grand Master
    8 posts...............hmmm. I thought this thread was longer the last time I looked.

Boolit Master
    It was. Somebody busted out the spam hammer.

Moderator Emeritus

"It was. Somebody busted out the spam hammer."

And rightfully so..........

I'm not into cowboy action shooting.
    Been to several of their matches over the last couple of years though.
    Some of the nicest, friendliest people I've ever met.

While it is a competive sport, most I've talked to are there to have fun.

I feel like when we discuss the validity of anything firearms related we often miss the point. Sometimes we act like liberals, who when they don't like something, they try to outlaw it. Just because it is not for me, I should not be critical of someone else's choices. (Although it is very hard not to do with the tacticool group)

I personally do not want to dress up and go shoot cowboy matches. I do love shooting my lever action rifles, particularly in Smallbore Silhouette matches and Pistol Cartridge. I shot a buffalo with my guide gun.

I have a friend that loves guns. He has about 300 and he shoots once a year or so. I shoot his guns more than he does. He is a collector and I am a shooter. Both of us contribute to our sport and industry. The tacticool group is helping some people make a living and bringing in a bunch of new shooters. Cowboy shooters do the same thing.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    "It was. Somebody busted out the spam hammer."

And rightfully so..........
    Amen !!!

One of the very few times my blood has boiled as the result of reading something on this site. As a matter of fact, I think it was the same guy last time I got upset.

Cowboy action is a great sport. Wonderful community (the first element of sport) and real emphasis on encouraging the newcomer (second element of sport).

It is a very subtle sport that takes many years to master and, then, it still depends on putting everything together, just right, to prevail (over yourself, and the competition).

I've been shooting CAS for over ten years now and have met wonderful people and learned a lot about myself through the mental discipline that the sport takes.

You're gonna love it, too, I'll bet.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Mold
    Where can I find CAS in SW MO? Sounds like fun. What 3 guns do I need?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Surge223 View Post
    Where can I find CAS in SW MO? Sounds like fun. What 3 guns do I need?
    Go to sassnet.com for information....Single Action Shooting Society. They're the biggest organization and have less "authentic clothes and guns nazis" than some of the other organizations...SASS is pretty reasonable about your clothes and guns

Two single action revolvers; pistol cartridge lever action rifle; vintage shotgun.

I use VAQUEROS, a MARLIN Cowboy Rifle, and an 1897 WINCHESTER shotgun. My usual clothes are a western shirt, jeans and cowboy boots, so clothes are not much of a stretch.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am not into cowboy action, not likely to start either.
    I will say thank you to those who are.
    Without cowboy action we would have a lot fewer revolver and lever action choices than we do. The major mould companies have also added new mould aimed at the cowboy crowd.

We all owe a debt to these guys. They have driven the manufacturers to develop new products and increase availability of old ones.

Thank you

Brad

Boolit Buddy
    i have one more thing to add to this
    cowboy action shooting is a family sport
    it is one of the few nationally/ world wide recognized shooting sports that actually welcomes / encourages the youngsters to shoot and participate in the main matches that they have
    my son and i got involved in this about 8 years ago due to the fact that he was 6 years old then and i wanted to find a shooting sport we could both participate in together this was the only one that would allow it and i looked into several others went to their matches with my son and most would did not even want him to get close enough for him to see what was going on much less shoot at one
    the first cowboy match we went to just to see if we would be interested and just to watch had no plans of shooting i had to keep telling the folks there that we were not going to shoot just watch and the next thing i know was this old geezer had my son on the firing line doing a little hands on practice
    needless to say we have been hooked since
    mule

Boolit Master

Talking

Don't forget about TrailBoss powder coming out of cowboy action shooting. My two biggest gripes about cowboy action shooting are the light mouse fart loads that I think should shoot the same weight bullet to within 100fps as the original loads and the short stroking of the lever guns. If you want less recoil shoot a smaller caliber don't brag that you shoot a Colt 45 and it has the power of a 22 short.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    You will need two revolvers and I'd be checking out what a new pair cost. I danced around buying one gun at a time and now shoot matched pairs, way better!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Moderator Emeritus

There are several reasons for the light loads used in SASS events.

One is the fact that we're shooting steel targets at relatively short ranges. Lighter loads reduce the amount of splashback, which is a good thing.

The second reason is the steel itself. If you're not the one buying the targets, then you can't appreciate the cost of them. Low power loads make the targets last longer. There's nothing good about spending $1,000 for a set of new targets, and then having someone with magnum level loads come out and beat the **** out of them. The divots in the steel from hot loads cause ricochets at odd angles, among other things.

The more we can do to reduce hazards on the range, the better, and light loads is one of the things we can do, as long as the loads are reasonable.

Another area where the lighter loads helps is the number of women who shoot the sport. There is a higher percentage of women, and younger shooters, in SASS than any of the other shooting sports. Sure, there are some women who can handle a steady diet of stout loads, but the majority can't. If they don't enjoy the sport, they won't stay with it.

It's shooting, and as long as people are shooting guns, having fun and making friends, don't condemn it, or them.

Hope this helps.

Fred