Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Found a job for my boy.

Boolit Buddy

Found a job for my boy.

He always wants to help daddy in the reloading room. But there's only so much on the press a 5 year old can do. Seating primers or charging the case require too much feel and complexity for him.

Well, today we found his niche. He can size like a champ. I put 'em on the ram and he does the rest. Having a ball.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails StephenReloading 001.jpg   StephenReloading 002.jpg  

nice!
    i used to let my kids pick up primers in the dillon pick-up tubes!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    Too cool!

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like the beginnings of a good shooting buddy there, brings back alot of good memories of when my best shooting buddy started out around 30 years ago......................................steg

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Start them early, and you will have a blast.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

My 4 year old Granddaughter was handing me brass to resize last weekend. She loves to play with mechanical things when I'm out in the garage.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

My 4yr old daughter was helping put newly cleaned brass in Berry boxes yesterday. She had a blast. She also enjoys sizing with the Star. Slave labor, I think not.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Watch your fingers...my three-year-old got me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Watch your fingers...my three-year-old got me.
    You can say that again !! When my son was about 5 he was running the handle on my Rock Chucker "helping" me size some .357 cases.....My fingers were soooo sore after a couple minutes I finally had to find another "job" for him to do...
    It is fun and educational to start them early, I agree 100%. Just like gun safety, start em early !! "PJ"
    U.S. Army Veteran, RVN 69-70, D trp.(AIR) 3/4 Cav, 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI, Helicopter Crew Chief
    Call Sign CENTAUR

Boolit Master
    Nice pics OP. My 9 year old daughter likes to do the same thing.

Boy, you guys sure bring back some memories. My dad used to do the same things with me and I loved it. Now I have children of my own that I want so badly to do the same thing with. Being divorced makes it tough but I still try when I can!

When we were kids dad had a small spot in the storage room. There was an ancient black and white tv on a small storage cabinet we'd watch tv with him, while he reloaded and we chased down the spent primers which always seemed to pop out of the spent primer cup of his old Lyman Spartan press and onto the old tongue and groove wooden floors. That room was always kept locked and as a kid it seemed almost magical to sit in there with my dad.

Boolit Mold
    My son loves to help out reloading! He's 5, so there's not a lot he can help with, but he tries!

His favourite thing to do so far is chamfering and deburring my cases after they're trimmed. I told him that you can only do it a LITTLE bit though, like one turn with each end of the chamfer debur tool, so sometimes, I have to do the odd one again as it's not quite there (he'd rather do it not enough than too much, and hasn't buggered one up yet!!). He can chamfer and debur almost as fast as I can trim with a lee case trimmer and lock stud in my cordless drill.

Just found out the other day that he's also good at seating bullets! I use the lee roll crimp, and have the press set up so that when it bottoms out, the handle hits on the edge of the bench. Works out well, as ti takes a little bit of the feel out of it and makes it impossible to crimp too hard.

Enjoy these times while you can. By the time the kids are 8-10 they have learned that helping dad will cut into there play time with there friends. By 12 you are lucky to get them to pick up a piece of paper and put it in the garbage can, lol.

My son still helps with the reloading but going to school I give him some slack and I know how hard engineering is, bin there done that, thankfully I got a shirt before I left.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Boolit Master

My 8 yo girl likes to size fired cases. My 5 yo son does too.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Great to see them get started early and will lead to a reloading buddy till he discovers girls. But great job and enjoy them when young.

Boolit Master

Besides the press functions, I let mine help fill the cartridge boxes- then asked them how many, so they learn to count, etc. If they ran out before I was ready again, they could dump them out and recount to be sure, especially the boolits! They make patterns in the boxes, too as they fill them- "loads" of fun for kids! (pun intended)
    USMC 1980-1985