RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lee Slug mold

Lee Slug mold

Has anyone using the 1 ounce Lee mold had any issues using WW alloy with this mold?

Thanks

Mike

In Remembrance
    Yeah I did that aloooong time ago. And I believe they strongly recommend using pure lead when doing it also. The best I can remember it, to say the least, didn't work out so well. Lead of course being much softer worked great, but I got that knucklehead idea pop up and tried ww. With the top part of the slug of the mold itself where the sprue plate is when its closed really got messed up on the mold when I tried to open the sprue plate.

Not only did I mess up my mold, the resulting slug was nothing to right home about. If you have an over abundant supply of ww and want a slug mold you just may want to look at the slug mold from lyman http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/b...php?entryID=86 that just might be your best bet.

Boolit Buddy
    WW shrinks on the core pin too much, and like Grumpa stated, there are other issues.

I cast a couple hundred slugs from WW and I haven't had any issues. Or maybe I just didn't notice any.
    I like my slugs at 14BHN for more penetration.

Boolit Mold
    I have cast around 100 slugs with that mold with 50/50 WW& Pure. They cast really well and still penetrate Deer size game ( about half have passed fully through on double lung shots).
    What weight do they average out too with pure lead only?

I go wheel weight only with mine. I have trouble when it isn't hot enough but once rolling it's full blast without a hitch. Mine must be one of those freaks

Boolit Bub

i use ww only

i use ww only and have zero problems with it holding on,,,,you should smoke the mold and leave mold over pot to heat up before putting lead in for first slug

Boolit Buddy
    Mine works with WW. I had to polish the pin with a fine grit compound on a cotton bob and the Foredom tool. Made dropping the slugs much easier.

Don

Boolit Master

I have always used straight WW's in mine, takes a couple of taps on the hinge but they come off just fine. Cast up about 50 of them last week, along with my 215gr 8mm Karabiner mold I received last week for my Christmas present, Mauser 98, from SWMBO.

I have nothing but WW to work with so that's all I ever casted with mine. I have no real issues in casting or shooting WW. They hardly ever just drop out though. Like Moonie says, it takes a wack.