Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want to start shotshell reloading

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
    it just says remington 20ga, they are the express long range, I use them for turkey.
    put a few pics up

Boolit Mold
    I have had a Lee Load all since I was 16 years old (50 now). Other than a few wear items like wad guides and 1 sizing ring, I have steadily loaded on this thing since my folks got it as a CHRISTmas present. I don't have a clue as to how many rounds have been through it but it would number into the tens of thousands. Trap, skeet, sporting clays and bird hunting all these years has consumed a ton of ammo to say the least.
    I have never had issues with but a few types of hulls not working in it. I mainly use Winchester AA hulls and Federals, but all of them last through several loadings. I also use the case mouth conditioning tool Midway sells to keep the case mouths in good shape.
    Many hundreds of 00 buck loads have been done on it too.
    My personal experience with the load-all has been a pleasant one for many years, and I fully expect many more years of service from it. I did just order the Load-all II upgrade and the primer feeder to speed up production the other day.
    There are more expensive units out there for sure, but I have never seen the need for any of them. Just my .02

This is what I have to let you know is that I have both type of reloaders beside a texan . you are better off with a Mec 600 mark 5 you can get a conversan kit to orther ga. you can also do it with the lee but I like the mec better and as for manuals get the lyman like what was said it will show you the type of hulls there is . also you can go to the lee web site and get the data for the ga. you are going to load. As for 00 buck add the shot by hand and the slugs . I cast both. I load 10,12,20,410 ga. if you ned anymore help let me know . good luck
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I have a Lee Load-All on the way from cabelas. Now I have to buy wads and powder and shot.
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
    I have a Lee Load-All on the way from cabelas. Now I have to buy wads and powder and shot.
    No. Now you need a good manual before you buy powder, primers, and wads. You need to ID your empties and find a proper "recipe" for them prior to buying your ingredients. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master

yup, i forgot to put that in there, I need to look around and see if anyone locally has one. BPS has one for 17.50 i believe.
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master

I think the Lyman shotshell handbook would be your best bet. It has a wide range of loads with all kinds and brands of component's. Plus plenty of good info on reloading. FB

Boolit Master

Yup, thats what I was looking at buying, does anyone know of anywhere in or near 23464 that has it for a decent price??
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Grand Master

Chris, your best bet will be Bob's in Norfolk. If he doesn't have it the next is the internet. Are you still snowed/iced in?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Firebricker View Post
    I think the Lyman shotshell handbook would be your best bet. It has a wide range of loads with all kinds and brands of component's. Plus plenty of good info on reloading. FB
    Best advice. I purchased this book too. Worth it's weight in gold for the beginner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 887011.jpg  
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Wayne, no they came and plowed the parking lot yesterday. It should not be very hard to get into here, especially w/ the truck.
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master

Ok, so today I was pleasantly suprised. I saw the UPS truck pull up and saw the guy get out with a box that said lee, so I jumped up and ran and got it, now I have to bolt it to something and get a manual so I can get loading!!!
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master
    you should be able to buy a used single stage mec for 50.00 or so. don't buy the progressive. I have had the lee load all and the lyman that is similar . the mec is the way to go. you don't need much to load shotshells, if you stick with the one hull and 1 load. the best loading empty hull is the winchester aa. if you are going to shoot 1 1/8 oz, you need the correct wad for 1 1/8 0z in a aa hull, and the correct powder for 20 ga, 1 1/8. 1 lot of hulls, all the same, 1 bag of wads, 1 bag of shot, 1 can of powder. the charge bar in the reloader should throw the correct amount of the powder you select and the 1 1/8 oz of shot. primers are pretty universal. as long as you stick with the same powder, wad and shot charge, in the same hull, you don't need anything else. once the machine is set up, your wad pressure will be right as long as you don't change anything. different size shot doesn't change anything. 1 1/8 of 2s is the same as an 1 1/8 of 8s, as far as loading them goes. Daryl

Boolit Master

Daryl, what about buckshot? I would like to get a mold eventually and make my own. Could you use .36 cal or .45 or .44 balls in a shotshell?
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ