MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: blackhorn 209

I think BH209 is geared toward the modern inlines, as some have said, and have no doubt of its efficacy for this purpose. However, I must confess that I became a BP purist about six years back and have never looked back. Smokeless powder is just a passing fad anyway, right?

As far as corrosion of the fouling of various BP subs and the real thing goes, I have not done any quantitative studies as to how fast corrosion occurs. However, it has been my qualitative experience that CajunShooter is dead on right about this. The fouling of the subs seems to be more corrosive (and at a faster rate) than good old BP. This result was surprising to me when experienced, as I figured the opposite would be true. Please understand I am not throwing cold water on the idea of progress (and BH209 is a remarkable jump ahead). There is certainly a place for it and it fills a market and works well in certain applications. It is just that the Holy Black is pretty hard to beat in alot of ways and the price is right.

Ok, it is advertised as less corrosive than black powder. A few here are saying it is worse. I bought a jug of it to play with and see what it will do. You know how things go when you get bored. I loaded up some 45 LC and will post my results. I am going to load up some real BP loads also and give them a try. I will never run a sub in my flints. My thoughts were the cleaning factor in the cartridge guns. So you guys are telling me I will still need to soak my brass and scrub my pistol right away after shooting these BH rounds?

Im strictly a blackpowder shooter for my sharps,But i came across 10 cans of the stuff at a estate sale,Got no use for it myself,So if anyones in the north fl area and wants to try some,Ill be more than happy to give it to ya at a good price,Dont want the hassle of trying to ship sorry guys.
    jeff

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by ddeaton View Post
    Ok, it is advertised as less corrosive than black powder. A few here are saying it is worse.
    I think you have gotten the replies mixed together.
    Let's start with the guy who said BH209 is not a 'BP Substitute'. He has a good take on it. BH209 does not try to 'simulate' a black powder charge. It simply makes it possible to use a smokeless powder to achieve BP pressures...while retaining all of the good things about smokeless powders.

You could call it a 'BP Alternative'

The BP subs, however, do try to simulate BP loads. They contain 'stuff' that is designed to recreate the proper 'pomp and circumstance' expected when BP is fired...and that 'stuff' makes them more corrosive than real gunpowder.

I understand that Powder Inc. is selling some factory loads charged with BH209...so they must think it has value.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Well I shoot nothing but the real BP but to tell you the truth there is no way I will ever buy 209 as it sells for $29 for a 10 oz bottle at Midway before any other charges. Swiss powder and Goex Cartridge will do fine. It is way above my pay grade to shoot.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Cajun, I am about to join you brother. All I have sized up are some 200 gr round/flats at the moment. I want to load some of these in the cowboy special brass with BP. Should I use FF or FFF?

I use blackhorn 209 in my inline omega x7. I have also tried it in my 357 reoads just to experiment. I like it in my inline, but use t7FFF in my side lockers. I used to use pyrodex but found T7 to better. I can't find bp in my area. I would like to get some and try it in my muzleloaders including my inline.
    Garbear

Cajun, did you see this months Handloader mag? A lot of backpeddling on the Blackhorn 209 article from last month, even a full page ad from the manufacturer. I always assume these guys are the experts.