WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New idea for a home made shotmaker

Boolit Master

New idea for a home made shotmaker

I had an idea. not sure if it was a good one. (quite common) I have a lee 10 lb pot and need some cheap shot for 12 ga. If I take my 10 pound pot with WW metal heated to 650 - 700 degrees, a 12 inch piece of heated steel angle iron at appropriate angle, and a bucket of water, I could make fair shot (not precise). I have not tried this yet, but I cant see any folly with the idea. If anyone can improve, suggest, give hints, etc... I like shotgun shells, but i cant afford to shoot more than 200 - 300 rounds a year. What about zinc for those "lead free" duck hunts and such?
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Banned
    Why not BB's? 5K for like 6$

Boolit Mold
    How would you control the size of shot? Do a search on this site for shot maker. http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...archid=2655318
    Last edited by RedneckAlbertan; 12-04-2010 at 08:52 PM.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Water is a pretty hard medium for molten lead to drop into unless it's been in a free fall for a couple hundred feet . The shot makers I have seen use VERY small holes to control the size of droplet coming out with a rather short drop into something like vegatable oil , diesel fuel or thread cutting solution ( I don't know which ) .

When I used a shot maker it was with vegatable oil and it worked rather well for the purpose I intended the shot .

Jack

Boolit Master

Have you guys seen this new Lee mold?

I use buckshot in a self defense shotgun so I suspect that I will give one of these a try.
    Michael

Boolit Master
    No, but it'll sure be a lot better than that little 2 cavity .311 round ball mould I have for making buck shot.
    What sizes? I'll order one right away.
    Well, it's right there on their website, It'll be .330, guess that'll work, I'll get the first one I come across.
    Last edited by Heavy lead; 12-04-2010 at 10:51 PM. Reason: added info

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Why not BB's? 5K for like 6$
    Air rifle BBs are way to light for shotgun use.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    Air rifle BBs are way to light for shotgun use.
    Learn something everyday I guess. I figured since they were magnetic, they were steel, so they might work.

Boolit Master

Air rifle shot is to hard for shot unless used with steel shot wads, mayby harder than steel shot. I have seen several "stright rifled" shotgun barrels from the early days of steel shot for waterfoul.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Banned

You might make BB shot with the bottom pour, I've tried it using a small steel container with a pinhole in the bottom and a torch. A 1/16" hole will make shot about 3/32" out of WW metal, a pinprick hole will make #8. I was trying to make #11-12, figured out real quick why that stuff is so expensive.

Gear

Boolit Master
    I am more impressed with you guys every day.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

Thumbs up

I always said that the guys and gals here are great.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Learn something everyday I guess. I figured since they were magnetic, they were steel, so they might work.
    The ones I've dealt with are copper. Steel may actually work.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    DO NOT use air rifle BB's in a shotgun. Steel shot made for shotguns is softer than the steel air gun BB's. I have seen 2 guns (not mine) where air gun shot was used-deep gouges from the forcing cone to the muzzle. They were used with steel shot wads too, they simply rubbed through and gouged.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I once spent considerable time in the migritory fowl rules . While zinc might be ok some places ,maybe condor lands in Ca,most all refuges,reserves,etc say "shot as approved by the gov."or something on that order . With that in the early steel days the shot was only allowed like .002" of zinc or copper plating ,as found in separate paragraphs. On the other hand there are so many shot types and so few magnatrometers in the field ........................I didn't really suggest that ....
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post
    Have you guys seen this new Lee mold?

I use buckshot in a self defense shotgun so I suspect that I will give one of these a try.
    Now, there's something useful! I the future, hope they make some that produce #1 and #4 buck.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    Industrial shot maker use arsenic in the alloy in increase the surface tension and make rounder shot. Coincidently the arsenic makes the shot harden faster if it has antimony in it. Shotmakers don't care how fast it hardens . Its just a by-product.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

I have never even seen anyone using a shot shell loader, so if this is stupid just say so. I thought shotgun shells had a wad that the shot was cupped in and carried them out the barrel like a sabot round. Am I wrong, and if not wouldn't the plastic wad protect the barrel from the steel shot.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    You might make BB shot with the bottom pour, I've tried it using a small steel container with a pinhole in the bottom and a torch. A 1/16" hole will make shot about 3/32" out of WW metal, a pinprick hole will make #8. I was trying to make #11-12, figured out real quick why that stuff is so expensive.

Gear

hey Geargnasher, have you considered writing a book about your experiences?
    I think it would be a good read.

You guys is what makes these forums such a valuable resource.

someone has an idea, and someone else has already tried it and can offer some direction

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle joe View Post
    I have never even seen anyone using a shot shell loader, so if this is stupid just say so. I thought shotgun shells had a wad that the shot was cupped in and carried them out the barrel like a sabot round. Am I wrong, and if not wouldn't the plastic wad protect the barrel from the steel shot.
    yes, the shot is carried in a wad like a sabot. problem is, not all shot is equal. pure lead will tend to slug up in a barrel. hard metals like the aforementioned bb's can rub through and gouge. all wads are not the same, either.