MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Didn't work!

Boolit Bub
    The issue seems to be wads and hulls. It sure would be nice to get a brass shell that would hold a 438gr boolit. Would the pressure of a 438gr boolt driven to say 1500fps be over the red-line for production slug guns? What other problems(other than cost and availability) would the brass shell cause? Seems like the conventional shotshell chamber wouldn't be too friendly to a brass shell.

Banned

The hulls are no problem and brass will work fine. Just have to stay in the pressure limits of a shotgun.

Boolit Buddy
    I was talking with a hunting friend of mine, who used the "pellet gun slug" with some success in the past, and mentioned the problems of shearing off the wad petals. He said he used Pattern Control spreader wads modified by cutting down the "spreader post" in the middle of the shot cup to keep the slug ceneterd. He said that wad was out of production for a loooonnngg time, so this tip may be marginally useful/ useless.

Trapshooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapshooter View Post
    I was talking with a hunting friend of mine, who used the "pellet gun slug" with some success in the past, and mentioned the problems of shearing off the wad petals. He said he used Pattern Control spreader wads modified by cutting down the "spreader post" in the middle of the shot cup to keep the slug ceneterd. He said that wad was out of production for a loooonnngg time, so this tip may be marginally useful/ useless.

Trapshooter.
    I remember those. They made nice doughnut-shaped patterns. Which explains why they are out of production....

Boolit Bub
    I have to read more carefully what written: I didn't realize that you have a rifled barrel.
    That means that you have an undersized hevy bullet that needs to be rotate by the rifling and plastic isn't the best material to grip firmly a lead bullet. More, the bullet you use has only two thin driving bands and an hollow base that cannot be easily expanded because it sits over a wad. A too havy job for plastic!
    Have you ever tried to substitute the plastic petals of the wad for paper (or cardboard) patch? All in all, a 12 ga. rifled shotgun have big diameters and low pressure as a muzzle loading rifle and the solution found for undersized bullet was... hollow base and paper patch.

Banned

Yes, you are right on the money. It is a poor design. It takes a tough sabot or a bore fitting boolit. Looks like a good winter project to make some moulds. I will get some 3/4" tool steel. A good hard boolit with lube grooves might be the best way to go.

Banned
    As long as I used new or once fired hulls I had EXCELLENT results with the Lyman 20 ga slug. Maybe the 12 ga slug is a more diffucult to work with. But as for the 20 ga slug and the shotgun I was shooting them out of, you're all wrong.

Joe

Banned

Joe, I tried new cases and reduced loads. I think because the slug is heavier makes it harder to get it right. I have gotten some real tight groups and thought I had it licked but the next time I shot it would go to pot. I even posted how good it was shooting but I have to take it all back. Anytime wads stay in one piece, I get a good group. Lose a petal or more and say goodbye. This is even harder then BPCR.