Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationMCD ProductsLee Precision

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe, 12 ga slugs, Lyman airgun pellet

Boolit Buddy
    44Man, since you are making your own molds, why not make your own truncated cone bullet to fit a BPI wad? The components used for the lyman design are a compromise, and don't really do anything well. Mike the wad petals, and you will see the difference in thickness. This canting of the slug pinches off the petal on one side. I have had much better luck with full bore slugs to enegage the rifling in shotguns. In a smoothbore they cheap Sabot concept migvht work.

Judging from the wads I have miked, I would make a .670-.675" diameter bullet, and use the most concentric wad I could buy. I was going to make such a mold, but I have no need. My smoothbore shoots fine the way it is with lubed slugs, and the rifled shoots well also. Why use cheap inconsistent components? 44Man, I will send you a few 770 grain slugs if you need a few. Greg

Banned

Greg, I would love to try a few, plus I would need load info. I will PM you. I plan on making a few moulds but have been short on time lately. I want one to fit the real thick, steel shot, unsplit wad too. I am curious to see if they will stay with the slug.
    Joe thanks, I didn't think the longer chamber would effect anything.

Banned
    Greg,

I disagree to an extant, when I used new hulls as mentioned my accuracy was rifle grade.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal
    44man

Here's the slug, remember I used the bottom of a winchester wad without the pedals incase you ask me how come the jacket doesn't come off and stick in the barrel. Also I swaged these together, look how short that Lyman wasp-waisted slug is after assembly.
    Joe
    StarMetal

Great looking slug, I think I will turn a swage on my lathe for for my lyman 12 Ga. mold.
    My question is what powder did you use and the weight. I have been reloading for years both shotgun, rifle ect. With the shotgun I go just by what reloading manuals state (shot weight/ Powder weight) . How much have you found you can go +/- powder weight grain wise before preasure is a danger factor.

Banned
    I used both Unique and Clays. I weighed my slug and went by loads in the books for same weight, but at reduced charges at first. I didn't try to beat factory velocity and I didn't really try to push them really hard. I use to shoot into a big box filled with sifted dirt that was dampened. I used factory slugs for a control basis. I also tried some jacketed rifle bullets in the media.

There are countless ways to make a jacketd slug like that. A better one I believe would be to make a mould that receives the jacket and then pour your molten alloy in it. This would give you a good bonded jacket/core. Before I used any of my copper pipe jackets I annealed them. Not having any pressure testing equipment I was very afraid of having the shotgun blow up, so I took each step slowly and carefully planned out.

Joe

Joe

Thanks for the info it should be a interesting project. I like most on the Cast Boolits forum enjoy tinkering just for the sake of it.

Don