RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Who here owns an 1895 Cowboy?

Boolit Master

Who here owns an 1895 Cowboy?

I've got one of these, and I've only shot it seven times in the last year or so since I bought her. I had the gunsmith install a Limbsaver pad to the original length of pull, and now the Marble's tang sight I had installed hits me in the eyebrow. Would any of you guys like to trade for an un-altered stock? I would be out $75 for the pad and installation, but at this point I'm not sure I really care. I would really like to enjoy this rifle, but when she bleeds me it's not gonna happen.

Kevin
    History will record, with the greatest astonishment, that those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

The problem with Liberals is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

- Ronald Reagan

Vendor Sponsor
    rvp,

Another option would be to mount a XS Systems rear aperature sight just ahead of the hammer using the rear scope mount holes. I have one on my cowboy and it works great. You can use interchangable peep sizes also. Or contact Marlin for a replacement stock.

How did lengthening the stock cause the problem? Are you using stouter loads since you put on the limbsaver? The 45-70 really doesn't need velocity to kill. Perhaps settling on a lighter load will solve your dilema. I push a 405 gr RCBS to around 1450 and find the recoil very tolerable and accuracy is awesome.

ammohead

Boolit Buddy

Smile

I know exactly how you feel (really). I have one of the earlier LTD models made for Davidson's just before the Cowboy), half octagon and half round. It knocks me harder than any other gun I have. Even with IMR 4198 loads of approx. 25 grains and a 405 cast boolit, it thumps. With 33.6 grains, my best load for the 405, it's no fun.

Of course, here in crowded Tampa Bay we have to shoot from the bench so I expect that is what makes this so uncomfortable.

I put the Lyman 66 (IIRC) on this one and it has a trigger that is super but does take a toll on me when I shoot it. Good luck finding someone to trade. I just like the looks of mine w/o a pad.

Tomorrow (on vacation all week) I am headed south where I can shoot off hand.

Bob

Boolit Master
    I didn't lengthen the stock. The gunsmith installed the pad to the original length of pull. Since the Marble's goes behind the hammer, it's in pretty close proximity to my eyebrow. Throw in a little recoil and, VIOLA, bloody mess. I REALLY want to keep the Marble's on this sucker as I've already had it drilled and tapped for it. Marlin wants over $80 for just the buttstock. OUCH!

Kevin
    History will record, with the greatest astonishment, that those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

The problem with Liberals is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

You might also want to post your wants on the SASS Wire forums classified section. Lotsa guys over there with these rifles.

http://sassnet.com/forums/

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    how about a couple of spacers? Yo could try some rough ones first to see if it is going to work.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master

I believe that 4fingermick has the answer...

Dale53

Boolit Master
    The only problem with that is that the recoil pad will be coming staight back with the stock instead of extending with the heel of the stock. Not to mention that I'll have a spacer that's over two inches thick. Yuck!

Kevin

- Ronald Reagan

I don't know if the cowboy is lighter or heavier than the plain old civilian model, but they do kick if you don't load them with restraint. I was at the club this weekend when a guy came up with a TC Encore carbine chambered in 470 Nitro Express. He was having a bit of trouble getting it sighted in, and asked if I would like to shoot it. The load was a 500 grain solid at 2400 fps. My first reaction was "If I shoot that thing, it will be after the fight." Finally, I decided I just had to try it once. I rigged up a standing benchrest, and I was staggered (figuratively) to find that it was noticeably less punishing than my 1895 Marlin with the load my late brother used (and which I will not disclose, as a service to humanity).

If that tang sight is close to your eye, you better back off your load, or get it farther from your eye. There ain't much other way.

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up sass

the sass has a great bunch of people
    I think you will get the best results on there site

My wife and I spent labor day weekend with the michigan group at
    range wars 2006 state finals
    cooked 3 days for 275 regestered competitors[not a nasty one in the bunch]
    any way let us know how you make out

Boolit Buddy

Another possibility is to get rid of the tang sight and put on a receiver sight like a Williams

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by straightshooter1
    I know exactly how you feel (really). I have one of the earlier LTD models made for Davidson's just before the Cowboy), half octagon and half round. It knocks me harder than any other gun I have. Even with IMR 4198 loads of approx. 25 grains and a 405 cast boolit, it thumps. With 33.6 grains, my best load for the 405, it's no fun.

Of course, here in crowded Tampa Bay we have to shoot from the bench so I expect that is what makes this so uncomfortable.

I put the Lyman 66 (IIRC) on this one and it has a trigger that is super but does take a toll on me when I shoot it. Good luck finding someone to trade. I just like the looks of mine w/o a pad.

Tomorrow (on vacation all week) I am headed south where I can shoot off hand.

Bob
    Does your Lyman 66 attach to the top of the action(where the scope bases would go), or is it attached to the side of the action?

Kevin

- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Mold
    I have a set of stocks for the cowboy that are checkerd..................Marko

If I recall correctly - the cowboy 1895 is not drilled and tapped from the factory for the side mount receiver sights.

However - the Williams WGRS receiver sight will mount on the top of the receiver where scope bases can also be mounted eliminating the need for altering the gun. That's whats going on mine.

Best regards-

Sky C.

Boolit Master
    Starrbow, PM sent.

Kevin

- Ronald Reagan