Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Emergency! I need a CCW gun!

Boolit Master

Emergency! I need a CCW gun!

Okay going to ask the experts here.

I need a concealed carry gun. I work and live close to the Texas/Mexico border and things are getting scary down here. I don’t ever want to be with out a gun now.

Here are my prerequisites.

1) Easy enough to carry and conceal, so I never find myself making excuses.

2) 110% reliable.

3) Able to handle boolits so I can load and practice a lot. Also the gun needs to be able to handle the frequent practice sessions.

I am open to autos or revolvers, but currently I have been eyeing the 3” 1911s and the Glock 36 slim-line.

I've had good luck with a sprinngfield xd compact. It hides easy carries 10 rounds with the compact mag and 13 with the extended mag. shoots well with the rcbs 230-rn and range lead leaves a bright shiny barrel. good luck

If you want something that is concealable, comfortable and reliable, look at one of the surplus CZ82's. They are inexpensive, compact, and very reliable. The biggest con to the CZ-82 is availability of a variety of ammo. The 9mm Makarov just doesn't have a big variety in bullet designs or weight.

If you plan on open carry, the sky is the limit but I'd be wearing my H&K USP .45.

MICHIGAN,but rather be in alaska,or montanna
    I to carry a springfield xd 45 and love,and trust it...but my second carry choice is a kahr,,look into them,slim,nice carry gun,and reliable.
    reason i went with the xd is the size of my hands,it has to fit you as well as you fit it.

Boolit Master

For me, large or small its 1911

Boolit Mold
    I live in Texas, and when it gets too hot, I put whatever I feel like carrying in a pistol pouch around my waist. As long as it doesn't pattern, you're ok.

Keep a long gun in the vehicle if you don't already.

Good luck
    jim

Boolit Buddy

I can relate!

Where you stationed at, Nut? I'm south of Kingsville... I like a Taurus 24/7 12 shot 45 in a pancake holster and a 38 derringer in my boot. It is getting kinda weird down here, isn't it? If you're close enough, you're welcome to try out a couple of mine before you buy.

Boolit Master

Ruger SP101 3.0625" barrel . . . get some Houges for it . . .
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigboredad View Post
    I've had good luck with a sprinngfield xd compact. It hides easy carries 10 rounds with the compact mag and 13 with the extended mag. shoots well with the rcbs 230-rn and range lead leaves a bright shiny barrel. good luck
    +1 on the XD I have run many different types of ammo and never a failure to feed or fire.

Boolit Master
    Hey guys thanks for the info. Just to let you all know, I already have a 9mm XD sub-compact which I really like however it is a bit on the chunky side and I find my self leaving it behind on hot days. I need a gun that can go anywhere with me, the XD would almost fit the bill, if only it where slimmer…

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bbailey7821 View Post
    Where you stationed at, Nut? I'm south of Kingsville... I like a Taurus 24/7 12 shot 45 in a pancake holster and a 38 derringer in my boot. It is getting kinda weird down here, isn't it? If you're close enough, you're welcome to try out a couple of mine before you buy.

Thanks for the offer, I am close to Eagle Pass.

Boolit Master

Check the for sale forum, I'd go with a Glock 21 in 45 ACP
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

MICHIGAN,but rather be in alaska,or montanna
    With that being said,,,,, KAHR OR ANOTHER FINE ONE IS COUGAR 45 BY STOGHER,,THIS IS A VERY FINE GUN,DOESNT PRINT, CHROME LINED BARREL,,ROTATING LOCKING LUG ANOTHER FINE CHOICE. PRICE IS RIGHT AS WELL.

DW CBOB.

Light commander size, solid, 8 round mag + 1 in the pipe.

230g cast TC @ 850fps.

Bobtails don't print like a regular 1911 and the thin profile is just right for CCW. The right bullet, my preference a cast 230g TC, penetrates and disrupts.

DW has the Valor model now and a CCO, but check their site.
    1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
    2. Never point a firearm at anything you do not intend to shoot.
    3. Keep the finger off the trigger and firearm on safe until ready to shoot.
    4. Know the target and what's beyond it.

Cast Hunter

I use a Ruger SP101 .357 Mag snubbie. It would certainly meet all your criteria.
    http://ruger.com/products/sp101/models.html

Antother fine choice is the Kahr CW9
    http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_cw.html
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Grand Master
    The correct answer to a craving for a 3" 1911 is HELL NO!

If you knew exactly how shortening the 1911 makes it much more likely they'll suffer jams, you'd run like hell. I can lay it out in exact detail, should you so wish.

Bottom line is that they're trying to sell you an unreliable gun....and hoping you won't understand the reliability issues that occur. The makers aren't going to mention it because they want to make a profit, and they sure don't care about your general wellfare in a situation where you desperately need a gun.

You should draw the lower limit at 4 to 4.25 inches in a 1911. Shorter is worse in terms of reliability. Much worse. If you're worried about weight, get an aluminum frame.

If reliability is 110 percent important to you, a shorty 1911 will never be in your pocket.

Snapping Twig has the idea. A Commander or Government model 1911 is very easy to conceal. If you can afford the bobbed grip, so much the slicker but you can hide either version under an untucked shirt. The longer barrel Commander and Government model carry and balance better than the 3" barrel guns which tend to be grip heavy when loaded. Also, the standard size frame is easier to grasp when drawing, at least for me. Commander or Government with an 8 round Wilson mag and one up the spout with a pair of 10 round Wilsons on your belt provide a lot of fighting capability and are easy to carry.

Boolit Master
    I would recommend getting a J-frame smith for carry when other things are too 'clunky' and then a large frame auto for more serious social matters.

Groo here
    For an "Always work gun" get a revolver,, A 3in is the best IMHO but it is what you like
    Smith or Ruger in 357mag {range work 38sp trail 357]
    In auto 35 Rem is correct that the 3 in 1911's are "picky" I have some that work but you pay for it ans usually shoot FMJ only...
    I find a commander frame best for carry " very good sitting in a car' in Alu, but most all large
    autos are hard to hide well .
    As you are out in Big Sky country "I have an aunt there" I would choose a 357 revolver
    or a 357 sig auto they are easer to hit with at extended ranges like there...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnman31 View Post
    If you want something that is concealable, comfortable and reliable, look at one of the surplus CZ82's. They are inexpensive, compact, and very reliable. The biggest con to the CZ-82 is availability of a variety of ammo. The 9mm Makarov just doesn't have a big variety in bullet designs or weight.

If you plan on open carry, the sky is the limit but I'd be wearing my H&K USP .45.
    hornady offers an 95 gr xtp for the mak
    the mak has 10% more enrrgy than a 380

and the cz82 is a 12 rd gun for 200 bucks
    only accurate rifles are interesting