RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas what this Coly Python is worth?

Any ideas what this Coly Python is worth?

I have no idea on the price of guns, this is available to me. What would be a good price? Is this a good revolver to go after?

Boolit Master
    Any Python around these parts under $800 is a steal, assuming it's in reasonably good shape.
    Good pistol to go after depends on your needs. If your looking for something that will appreciate in value, can be appreciated when pulled out of the safe and fondled, that is a VERY nice pistol to own and shoot, then by all means, yes.

Boolit Master
    There are a lot of things that contribute to collectible firearms. It could just be the quality of my monitor's picture but the finish on your Python doesn't seem to be original by quite a bit. It would be impossible for anyone to give you an appraisal of any kind without having the gun in there hands that throughly understood that particular firearm. Sorry, but thats just the way things are.

Didn't know it was a collectible. Probably not worth me thinking about as I'm not interested in collecting. Thought it might be a nice shooter. Not looking for a safe queen. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

I don't consider a Python a collector item, but a shooter. Regret that I didn't have $125.00 in the early 60's when they were pleantiful, but at that time that was about a third of a months pay. Se le vie!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    The only guys who think these are "collectable" are the ones that want 1800 for them!

Back on earth I figure the Python in the picture to be valued at 900 to 1150 pending when it was made. Because I see Packy's with the Colt medillion on it I'm going to "suspect" this is a late 70's early 80's gun although the grips were available over the counter.

As such I'm thinking $950. because of the grips and barrel length.

Out of curiousity what is being asked for this beauty?

OK, I'm excited again. So it turns out it is going to be auctioned. I thought I had a chance to buy it before then, however it's too late now...

However and auction with 600 guns, several different Colts included, there may be some good deals had.

A S&W 52 in good shape caught my eye a little while ago. Didn't know anything about them but spent some quality time with google and learned a bit.

They have a some new guns still in the box too. Lot's of shotguns and rifles.

Well, I'm a long term S&W shooter, hunter and collector. I've only been enticed to own one Colt DA and that was a 6" Python.

I've gotta say I believe the Colt Python to be the finest revolver Colt ever built. They are smooth, well balanced and possessed a factory bluing second to none. The vent rib and full under lug gave them an intimidating appearance that greatly enhanced their popularity.

They didn't compete price wise with S&W and didn't sell as well as S&W's because of their comparatively much higher retail.

If you find any reasonably priced Python in good condition, and a 357 suits your needs, by all means buy it. They don't make them anymore and they won't be getting any cheaper.

JMHO
    "Hindsight is always so much more accurate than foresight, but well considered foresight so much more valuable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Thanks for the URL's. Wow, expensive revolvers aren't they.

Collectors tends to be a little pricy, but it does have nice stuff.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Yep, those guns are very impressive.

Boolit Grand Master
    The Colt Python is likely the finest mass-produced revolver ever made in this country, though I think the recent USFA SAA variants are pretty close.

The Pachmayr grips may mean a late-production example, or that the previous owner actually used and shot the revolver. They were intended to be fired, after all--this in spite of collectorista whinings to the contrary.

I wouldn't exceed $900 for the example in your photo, and would want a hands-on exam prior to going past $750 in an auction.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

on gunbroker somebody has a bid for 2500 on a colt anaconda 44
    Are you mormon? no. Are you catholic? no. Do you know what causes it? yes. and we like it.

Boolit Master
    I am lucky enough to have a Python I bought at a reasonable price. It is a great revolver, a good shooter, and you should buy that one if you can afford it and think the price is fair. You won't regret owning or shooting it. And if it happens to gain value later that's just a bonus.
    Paul

A friend of mine went and looked, said the gun didn't look like it had been fired. Although there's a bit a scratch on the top strap. Otherwise it looks better than the picture, the glare is misleading.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback.

Boolit Master

Beautiful revolver.

Boolit Grand Master

Depending on condition, up to $1200 would not be entirely out of line today.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

This is a refinish: Note the dished screw and pin holes. If gun is tight, 450-550 and shoot the heck out of it. $1000.00 to 1300.00 will get you pristine with papers; perhaps even unfired regardless what the Gunbroker ads suggest.

Boolit Master
    Dan may be right about the re blue.

Just to keep everything on par I was at the Ontario CA gun show this morning and saw a much better looking 6 inch Python with Packy's on it, asking price was $1000.00

If I'd had the money...............