RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 30 of 129 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435363738394080 ... LastLast

Thread: Loading bench pics

Almost finished.........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1161.jpg  
    Guns Have Only Two Enemies: Rust and Polititions
    USPSA-FY53269
    ICORE-LA1950
    CRO
    Freedom Gunworks Shooting Team

Boolit Grand Master

ForestB;
    The only thing wrong is I only see THREE blue machines (just kidding - I only have TWO).

Good looking set up in EVERY way!

Dale53

Boolit Mold
    Nice setup! Looks kinda organized though.

I need some opinion's on making up a new benchtop.
    I was wondering thru Home Depot looking at the lumber and niticed 2x3's going for $1.97.
    Across the isle there were 2x4's for the same price!
    My idea is to attach about 20 of these on edge IIIIII and make a bench with a 4 inch thick top.
    I'm gonna glue them together with white glue and was thinking of using threaded rod to re-inforce the entire top.
    My brother-in-law say's to use nail's and a friend say's to use screw's.

Any wood worker's have an opinion?
    Any and all appreciated!

If you look around where they are building houses you may be able to get a piece they did not use. They call it a Header. It is the same thing that you are thinking of using. But to be honest before I went to all of that trouble I would use a Solid Core Door. For that I would call around the lumber places and ask if they have any blems.

But if you really do wish to build the top the way you describe you can do so any number of ways. You could also build it with no screws or through bolts. But you will need some good clamps and time. As I would glue one board or two boards at a time together till they are dry and repeat till you have what you are looking for. Also I would not use a normal white glue but a Poly glue. The other problem will be when you are done you will have to make the top flat.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by zuke View Post
    I was wondering thru Home Depot looking at the lumber and niticed 2x3's going for $1.97.
    My idea is to attach about 20 of these on edge IIIIII and make a bench with a 4 inch thick top.
    I'm gonna glue them together with white glue and was thinking of using threaded rod to re-inforce the entire top.

Any and all appreciated!
    Wow! What are you putting on your bench? I used two 3/4" plywood glued together and I think I could park a car on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddyfixit View Post
    Wow! What are you putting on your bench? I used two 3/4" plywood glued together and I think I could park a car on it.
    I was just gonna use 2x2's but the 2x4's are the same price!
    Each 2x? is $1.97. 20 Board's wide is $1.97x20=$39.40
    Not sure what a 3/4 sheet of plywood goes for.

Boolit Grand Master

4" thick is overkill for certain. You may have to move that later. I built my benchtop out of 2x10's laid flat fastened to a 2x6 frame. The top surface is 1/4" plywood. The top unbolts from the legs. I have moved it four times with success (it's been at the present location for thirty years).

2" is plenty thick and two pieces of 3/4" plywood laminated is plenty strong enough also. The important thing for stability is to fasten it to the wall and have heavy strong legs (4x4 legs are fine). I firmly believe in leg levelers for eliminating shaking of the bench.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master

Thumbs up My Reloading Bench Philosophy

Wider is stronger. Nuts and bolts are stronger and more permanent than glue, nails, or screws.

My recommendation is to build it like I built mine: back, sides, and top are 2x12s; legs are 4x4s, and some 2x4s beneath the top for additional strength, all held together with 3/8" bolts. This press does NOT move and the top hasn't bent an inch when FL resizing. 2x10s and 2x12 are stiff enough for any work you might do.

Nails, glue, and screws are not permanent fasteners and will eventually pull loose.
    Nuts and thick bolts with wide washers are permanent, but will still allow you to easily modify and/or disassemble the press when needed. You can't do that w/ other types of fasteners.

Build it strong
    Built it heavy
    Build it solid
    Build it permanent

Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

Commenting on Dale53's statement about needing to attach it to a wall:

If the bench is heavy and sturdy, there is no need to physically attach it to anything. My second bench is pushed up against a wall and the first bench and doesn't move. I hesitate to even guess how heavy it is, but including the shelf and its contents, it would take 2-men and a boy to even budge it. I will be adding some bookshelves this week that will make it even heavier and more unmovable.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=12392&page=24

I built mine with 4x4s, 2x6s and 2x4s. I used mortise and tenon joints that are pegged with dowels. It's pretty heavy and doesn't need to be bolted to the wall. Pretty rigid too. The presses are bolted in place from under.

My bench is last one on the page I linked to.

Boolit Grand Master

Any and all appreciated!
    Woodworker here. Use yellow glue, it gives you a water resistant seam. Both are stronger than the wood. If you are going with either the 2x2's or the 2x4's use allthread rod, washers and nuts recessed into the wood. Then glue one more piece over that to hide the rod. Clamp tight and it will hold.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I built my last using a 1/2" plywood top. It is plenty strong with 2X4 framing on 16" centers & a 2X10 under each press.

Frame

Brace

This bench of mine is also going to serve as my work bench.
    The price of the plywood verse's the price of 2x2-3 or 4's is what I'm looking at.
    Woodworker, any reccomendation to the size of rod?
    I was thinking 5/16 or 3/8 but I'm not positive about it yet.

Boolit Buddy
    New bench installed within the domain of AIR CONDITIONING!

Boolit Master

This bench of mine is also going to serve as my work bench.
    The price of the plywood verse's the price of 2x2-3 or 4's is what I'm looking at.
    Woodworker, any reccomendation to the size of rod?
    I was thinking 5/16 or 3/8 but I'm not positive about it yet.
    You might look at Grizzly.com for some workbench tops. They are made out of hard maple and at a reasonable price. If this thing is going to be your workbench you want it as flat as possible for assembling your projects.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Woodworker here. Use yellow glue, it gives you a water resistant seam. Both are stronger than the wood. If you are going with either the 2x2's or the 2x4's use allthread rod, washers and nuts recessed into the wood. Then glue one more piece over that to hide the rod. Clamp tight and it will hold.

Any and all appreciated!
    Great idea zuke,it would be darn near indestructible but i think i would also joint the edge that was going to be the work surface before gluing and bolting. I built a couple of butcher block tops out of red oak flooring using the same technique and they turned out great.
    INFIDEL 4 LIFE

Not fancy but it seems to work
    The midway stand, I bought 20 years ago when I used to move a lot. It made it easy to move it around a house.

Sorry about the picture size. I'm still trying to get used to posting pictures,jmsj

Boolit Master

Forrest,

Glad to see you here. I guess you recognize the avatar. I miss you guys!

David