Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Data chart for IMR 7383

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    Please be careful. Use good safe loading techniques like working up slowly.
    I hear ya, but I'm beginning to think the 7383 is one of those powders that are too bulky to overload (uncompressed) enough to blow up the gun. I have heard it can be "peaky" and that compressed loads are a no no. But from what I've been reading as long as I stay under 50 (can't fit more than that anyway) I should not have problems.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rongaudier View Post
    This is interesting. I ordered a case (42 pounds) of 7383 to use in my 30-06. Today I fired some of my cast bullets (powder coated and gas checked) over 40-43 grains and 1980-2050 FPS. Plenty of unburned powder on my cleaning patch after each shot. I'm thinking of bumping the load up to 46-47 grains and see what happens. I'm looking for that "sweet spot" you are talking about.
    I'm shooting 49 grains of 7383 of an unknown lot number (bought this jug at least 7 years ago) in a 30-06 with a Sierra 150 Game King and am getting 2600 FPS. It is accurate, just at the clean burn stage.

Boolit Bub
    I've got a box of SMK 190s I'm thinking of trying over 48 (if it will fit). I've been using AA2700 and RL22, but am looking for a more cost effective alternative. My 42 pounds of 7383 is all from the same lot, so theoretically, once I get it dialed in I'll be good to go for awhile. Thanks for the info.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    I have an OLD lot bought from Pat's & found it worked great in midsize cartridges, especially my 30-06. I found that using the same volume-not weight of IMR4350 loads listed worked out very well & were accurate. I'm pretty sure that what is available now from Jeff Bartlett is a different burn rate but am intending to pick up some to try it out.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    I'm shooting 49 grains of 7383 of an unknown lot number (bought this jug at least 7 years ago) in a 30-06 with a Sierra 150 Game King and am getting 2600 FPS. It is accurate, just at the clean burn stage.

I shot this coyote at 265 yards with the above mentioned bullet & 46.5gr. 7383 in my pre-64 M70 '06 several years ago. I aimed at the top of his back above the shoulder & it dropped right into the kill zone and he went about 10 yards & dropped. Groups with this load shoot at less than 1" at 100yds., have often had 5 shot groups less than 1/2". Most accurate load in this rifle hands down, and friends stopped looking down on surplus powder after seeing this in person.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

I have been using Jeff's lot #48000 in 30-40 and 30-06 using magnum primers. A case filled to the base of a 203gr spitzer, no compression, in the Krag, left me a lot of unburned powder & black smoke. So I put 3.5gr of high nitroglycerine powder that burns at Blue Dot rate under the 7383, reduced the 7383 the same amount and tried again. Unburnt powder went away and the smoke out the muzzle was light gray. I've shot 168gr match bullets out of my 06 that were loaded in the same manner. The holes in the target were very black on the edges, may need a tad more booster in 06.

Here's what a lot of folks are missing. Nitroguanidine is an explosive. It has to explode and not burn in order for the flashless properties to be brought forth. The nitroguanidine explodes and the gases produced by that explosion keep the nitrocellulose from burning with a flame.

It has to reach a certain temperature before that explosion occurs. Around 500F. You can't get there with a LRM primer! If it goes at a lower temp there is some difference in the gases produced. I'm waiting on a copy of the full article on researchgate so I can be more exact in what I'm saying concerning that.

I've also loaded a few rounds in both 30-40 and 30-06 with the kicker near the middle of the case. That ought to come close to duplicating the flashtube found on the 50cal spotter round, without the necessity of the tube. But it's winter and the rounds are just sitting here looking at me.

It isn't a powder for Joe Average to play with, especially not with jacketed bullets in an old rough throated milsurp rifle. With it's slow burning nature, and a nitroguanidine explosion waiting to happen.... that's an invitation for SEE. Some of what I've said above isn't going to be the same for all lot #s, I think the percentage of nitroguanidine varies. Reason for no compression is the fact that the nitroguanidine coating is fragile. Compression breaks the coating, allowing the nitrocellulose to start burning with a flame. Then the temp gets up to and above nitroguanidine's explosion point, but not until pressure has already started to rise. Quick peak when the nitroguanidine does go off.

I should also mention that I contacted a fellow on another board who got some in country experience cleaning the spotting rifle the round was used in. He didn't recall any black fouling.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 01-07-2015 at 04:59 AM.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Bub
    Latest trip to the range 47 grains of 7383 Under a 190SMK = 2300 FPS (+/-) from my 30" barrel custom Savage 30-06. Shot consistent under 1 MOA from 200 yards prone on bipod. At that loading, still a little dirty, but NO unburned powder. Now this isn't the most accurate or efficient load I've ever shot from this rifle (58gr RL22 and 210VLD@ 2800FPS Groups<1/2MOA), but I'm quite contented to use this as a practice round and will try it out next in my 03A3 and Garand. Unfortunately, I don't have conclusive data on the cast boolit load yet as I had chambering issues with it today. For some reason I did not have them seated deep enough DOH! BTW, 47GR 7383 filled the case up to just above the bottom of the shoulder. Probably not possible to fit much more in a 30-06 case without compressing (which is supposedly a no-no). I saw absolutely zero signs of over pressure.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7383target_zpse73875d2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	127559
    Last edited by rongaudier; 01-15-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Banned

cool thread. At least the first page anyway. Some old timers that have left and passed that used to be friends. there knowledge is still here though

Boolit Master
    Yep, we have been diminished.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    I have been using Jeff's lot #48000 in 30-40 and 30-06 using magnum primers. A case filled to the base of a 203gr spitzer, no compression, in the Krag, left me a lot of unburned powder & black smoke. So I put 3.5gr of high nitroglycerine powder that burns at Blue Dot rate under the 7383, reduced the 7383 the same amount and tried again. Unburnt powder went away and the smoke out the muzzle was light gray. I've shot 168gr match bullets out of my 06 that were loaded in the same manner. The holes in the target were very black on the edges, may need a tad more booster in 06.

Here's what a lot of folks are missing. Nitroguanidine is an explosive. It has to explode and not burn in order for the flashless properties to be brought forth. The nitroguanidine explodes and the gases produced by that explosion keep the nitrocellulose from burning with a flame.

It has to reach a certain temperature before that explosion occurs. Around 500F. You can't get there with a LRM primer! If it goes at a lower temp there is some difference in the gases produced. I'm waiting on a copy of the full article on researchgate so I can be more exact in what I'm saying concerning that.

I've also loaded a few rounds in both 30-40 and 30-06 with the kicker near the middle of the case. That ought to come close to duplicating the flashtube found on the 50cal spotter round, without the necessity of the tube. But it's winter and the rounds are just sitting here looking at me.

It isn't a powder for Joe Average to play with, especially not with jacketed bullets in an old rough throated milsurp rifle. With it's slow burning nature, and a nitroguanidine explosion waiting to happen.... that's an invitation for SEE. Some of what I've said above isn't going to be the same for all lot #s, I think the percentage of nitroguanidine varies. Reason for no compression is the fact that the nitroguanidine coating is fragile. Compression breaks the coating, allowing the nitrocellulose to start burning with a flame. Then the temp gets up to and above nitroguanidine's explosion point, but not until pressure has already started to rise. Quick peak when the nitroguanidine does go off.

I should also mention that I contacted a fellow on another board who got some in country experience cleaning the spotting rifle the round was used in. He didn't recall any black fouling.
    Have you shot those loads yet ? (with the kicker in the middle of the case).
    Also, would you consider that load with a cast boolit, like the NOE 311299, which is around the 200gr, depending on alloy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Have you shot those loads yet ? (with the kicker in the middle of the case).
    Also, would you consider that load with a cast boolit, like the NOE 311299, which is around the 200gr, depending on alloy.
    Ditto this question. Any updates?

I have been experimenting with IMR 7383 to work in my AR-15 chambered in 300 blackout with a pistol length gas system. It doesn't run the gun on it's own... not even at 106% case fill with a lee 230 gr. boolit. So I did some reading and found that people were "duplexing" this powder and wc860 in 45-70 govt. with some good results. So I called Jeff Bartlett and placed an order for a couple jugs of BR-5 (Unique equivalent) and IMR 7383. I started off by trying a case full of 7383, which didn't work, then I added 1 gr of BR-5 to the bottom of the case and reduced the 7383 by 1 gr. and put it on top of the pistol powder before seating the 230 gr boolit. I kept the case fill at around 103%. After some trial and error and shooting several rounds with my butthole puckered really tight, I managed to get 3.2 gr. BR-5 below 9.3 gr of IMR 7383 to run my gun and push the pill out at an average velocity of 1248 fps. with a standard deviation of around 12 fps. More experimenting is needed, but I made a rather rough looking video of my trials and results. The video includes chronograph data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdxzWY3_o0g&t=845s
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.”- Ben Franklin

“The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.” - Adolf Hitler

While an old thread, I've been using this powder for many years. With most surplus rifles calibers and larger bore rifle this powder works very well. I have won matches with my loads and had no unburnt powder left in the bore. Accuracy has been impressive.
    My favorite loads are 40 grains under a 140 grain SPBT .264 bullet in the 6.5 Swede.
    44 grains under a 195 grain SPFB .323 bullet in the 8MM Siamese
    Both loads shot to the sight settings.

Boolit Buddy

I have used 7383 in a handful of cartridges.

My fireform load for .348 AI is 60gr with a 200gr Hornady. Nice mild 2,250 fps, but enough pressure to make the new profile.

I am going to do some experimenting in the 30-30 soon. Looking for a decent plinking load with the 150gr Berrys. Appears 32gr is about where compression will start...so that will establish the maximum.
    Scrounging for pb...

USMC 0351

Boolit Buddy

30-30 Win
    30gr IMR 7383 (Lot 48000)
    150gr Berrys plated bullet
    Wolf primer
    FC case
    2.55" OAL
    Light Lee factory crimp
    20" Marlin
    Ave 1,615 fps ES (5 shots) 16fps