Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Any Mosin Nagant owners, looking for headspace info.

Boolit Mold

Any Mosin Nagant owners, looking for headspace info.

Just looking for some specs here. I need people with headspace gauges for 7.62x54R to mic the rim thickness for nogo and field gauges.

I searched the web, lots of people with gauges checking their rifles saying they work great but no one says what the dimentions of the gauges are. The few numbers I found were all over the place and some were just recollection from memory. A lot of people say its rimmed who cares, nothing ever happens. I guess I do care, I want to know.

So many people accept that the gauge is right without question. There's SAAMI spec and also some type of mill spec? who knows what that is.

I would like to see actual numbers from different brands if possable. If anyone would be aware of actual measurements I'm hoping this group would.

Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Here are measurements from my SAAMI spec GO and NO-GO gauges made by Yankee Engineers.

SAAMI GO:

SAAMI NO-GO:

I think you'll find they're the same thickness as those for the Krag or .303 British. http://www.okiegauges.com/
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Mold
    madsenshooter

Your right about the 303 being the same. the Okie web site you posted was one that was mentioned does not use SAAMI specs, it was reported his nogo gauge was .073 the SAAMI spec for nogo is .067 and the field gauge I think is .072. I wish these manufactorers would post their dimentions.

I have a PTG nogo gauge and its .0670 and a forester nogo for 303 and its .0670.

I think there are about 5 or 6 companies making then for this caliber.

I have 4 Mosin rifles, all acquired within a year or two in the 2004-05 timeframe. I too was concerned about headspace, given the swapping of bolts 3 of these rifles have seen. Lacking any actual gauges, I substituted the following test. All 4 of my rifles would chamber a dummy round that had one thickness of common duct tape applied to its bottom, but balked at two layers. Since this tape is at most, 2 or 3 thousandths of an inch thick, compressed, I declared all 4 of them to be within specifications. No problems since, after hundreds of reloads. - CW
    Three millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us. - Patrick Henry, March 1775