MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 takes out brutal killer

Boolit Master

.22 takes out brutal killer

This happened many years ago. It was the result of some kind of love triangle/ man out kills man in deal. It was in the Yolo County area of California. Short version is killer shows up at ex's house, shoots her, shoots new guy, and some kids, IIRC. One young boy retreated to his room and proceeded to load a tube feed Marlin .22, as killer enters the room to shoot him the boy opened up with the Marlin and shot bad guy many times, ending the slaughter and saving himself. The poor kid became an orphan that day. I've often wondered what became of him. Anyway, this just popped into my mind, I was reading some stuff questioning the .38 S&W with 200 gr. bullets being adequate or not. It all depends, doesn't it? I saw a guy at the range who just practiced very rapid fire with his Ruger 10/22, said that was his HD weapon of choice. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that 30 shot hail of bullets in about 2 seconds. To round out my contribution to this rimfire party, and so you will know I'm not just a nut, (but also a competitor)I shot my CZ .22 in a silhouette match last Mon. with Federal bulk box cheap stuff and did very well with it, but no cigars. Just food for thought, but I can't remember the last time I had a rimfire ftf. They must have worked out the QC.

In Remebrance

People think they need an elephant gun for chipmunks these days.

Boolit Buddy
    A guy entered my local gun shop asked to see a 10 22 the guy at the counter showed one to him. The piece of **** pulled out a loaded mag and killed him. But not before he returned fire. I know he shot his partner in the stomach but i don't renumber if it killed him. It was a 10 round mag.

Boolit Buddy
    Any caliber firearm in a defensive situation is better than a willow switch, even if it's a lowly .22 short round. I recall an altercation in my local area about 15 or so years ago in which a man was killed with a single shot from a .25 auto. In the American Rifleman magazine "The Armed Citizen" section, one can often read of persons defending themselves with a .22 RF weapon.

Trifocals
    NRA life member

"Never give in except to convictions of honor and good."
    Winston Churchill

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

No one, unless they're just nuts, wants to get shot. Even with a .22 short...

Boolit Master
    Better the .22 in your hand than the .45 in the drawer at home.

Boolit Grand Master
    Getting shot is best avoided. Period.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    In my local area, in my lifetime, 6 haved been killed with 22's. An estranged spouse and her parents, a liquor store owner who would not sell some liquor on a Sunday, a man in an argument about who his daughter was seeing, another man over who had the rights to a gravel pit.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Moderator Emeritus

I've killed deer and elk with a 22. I'd prefer not to see if I'm tougher.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Master

Ive dispached a squirril or three with a .22 and they are several times tuffer than me.

Boolit Master
    I certainly wouldn't want to stop a .22 with my anatomy, but I do consider it by virtue of it's design to be less reliable than a centerfire. I saw a friend dump the bottom out of a box of Federal bulk pack ammo on some damp grass. He immediately scooped them back into the box. The following weekend, over 50% wouldn't fire. The seal between case and boolit is just too loose. I Had a .22 revolver loaded for a few weeks. The oil in the chambers killed all 6 rounds. If you can be assured they won't be in a humid environment, or contact ANY oil, maybe. I'll take a centerfire anything if given a choice.

Boolit Master

In 1970 a barmaid in Fl. shot her X 17 times with a 6 shot RG10 in the bar. She emptyed the gun, went in back, got ammo, reloaded twice more.
    When I was tranfered a month later, the guy was still alive in the hospital.
    FWIW
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Consider this- a 12 gauge with buckshot is often considred the ultimate defensive weapon.

00 buck, one of the more common ones, weighs about 53 gr IIRC, per ball, is .33 caliber, and is launched at around 1350 fps for a high velocity 2 3/4 load. Usually there are around 9 pellets in a shell. That translates into an energy of 214 foot pounds.

OTOH, a .22 40 gr bullet moving at 1300 fps has an energy of 150.

That DOES indeed give the 12 gauge buckshot an advantage, but not a crushing one. Consider that a .45 ACP generates 350 foot pounds of energy. The only advantage the 12 gauge now has is the spray effect and that all projectiles are fired at once- so you do a lot of damage at once; but it is less than a good handgun will do for you... or for that matter a spray of .22 bullets will do similar damage to the much vaunted 00 buckshot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    Consider this- a 12 gauge with buckshot is often considred the ultimate defensive weapon.

00 buck, one of the more common ones, weighs about 53 gr IIRC, per ball, is .33 caliber, and is launched at around 1350 fps for a high velocity 2 3/4 load. Usually there are around 9 pellets in a shell. That translates into an energy of 214 foot pounds.

OTOH, a .22 40 gr bullet moving at 1300 fps has an energy of 150.

That DOES indeed give the 12 gauge buckshot an advantage, but not a crushing one. Consider that a .45 ACP generates 350 foot pounds of energy. The only advantage the 12 gauge now has is the spray effect and that all projectiles are fired at once- so you do a lot of damage at once; but it is less than a good handgun will do for you... or for that matter a spray of .22 bullets will do similar damage to the much vaunted 00 buckshot.

I'm guessing you are comparing a single 00 buck ball to the single .22 bullet? If so, then I guess it's a fair comparison. On the other hand, if you should receive all 9 of those buckshot balls at once, (pretty likely at room distances), you will be on the receiving end of 1,927 Ft. Lbs of energy. Thats a sizeable difference.

A .22 short will go through about 8 to 9 inches of muscle in your calf... don't ask me how I know...
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

In Remembrance
    At room didtance 7 1/2 shot from a 12 guage has a big advantage over a 22.

The wad without the lead does considerable damage up close.

20 years ago a bad guy held up a gas station with a .357 mag in the local area. As he was leaving the owner pulled out a .22 revolver and shot once. The bad guy took one more step and dropped dead. It seems that the .22 bullet hit the underside of the collar bone, deflected and travelled diagonally through the internal organs, hit the inside of the hip bone, bounced across to the other side of the hip bone and headed back up through the interal organs before it ran out of steam. A friend of mine who was on duty and took the crime scene pictures said that maybe the cops should start carrying .22's (tongue in cheek). Never underestimate that nasty little .22.
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

I was seeing a girl last year who wanted to purchase a gun.

I took her to the range a few times, taught her basic safety, and then took her to my favorite gun shop. I didn't give her many suggestions except to point out ones that were in her budget.

She picked a ruger 10/22 and asked if it was good for self defense. I told her the same thing you guys said her: 10 rounds of mini-mags in quick order will make any attacker evaluate their choice of profession.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Where I grew up in Riverside Michigan old Mr. Phiffer used to dispatch real big hogs regular with a carefully placed 22 Long. Largest criter I ever ended time with was a very nice Red Fox trotting down the froze over Paw Paw River below Fred Chabots place. About 30 yards out slight angling shot through the chest. Fox ran across the river about 40 yards to sit at the base of a tree before it fell over.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    In 1970 a barmaid in Fl. shot her X 17 times with a 6 shot RG10 in the bar. She emptyed the gun, went in back, got ammo, reloaded twice more.
    When I was tranfered a month later, the guy was still alive in the hospital.
    FWIW

All that means is she was a crummy shot. LOL
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast