Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Round balls in .45/70

Boolit Master

Round balls in .45/70

I started loading this plinking load a couple of years ago after Buckshot posted about doing it. I loaded 4 grains of Red Dot first, which littered the barrel with powder zombies and then tried 3 grains of Bullseye but, pressure is still so low as to leave a lot of unburned powder and the brass is really smoked up. Is there any way to eliminate this problem? It's sure fun to shoot, only makes a pop, and pine cones, rocks, or Coke cans are seldom missed offhand at short range. -JDL

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JDL
    I loaded 4 grains of Red Dot first, which littered the barrel with powder zombies and then tried 3 grains of Bullseye but, pressure is still so low as to leave a lot of unburned powder and the brass is really smoked up. Is there any way to eliminate this problem? JDL
    JDL,

If you want to cut the unpowder go up in weight. Use two or three balls. Or if you just want to seal and keep the chamber clean, use some Liquid Alox and paint it on with a Q-tip so that it comes down over the case about 1/8th inch. This allows a fair seal. If it doesn't seal, paint it down farther.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    The poor ignition is due to alot of space in the cartridge. I use a 45 cal. foam wad cut from an egg carton placed 1/8" above the powder in RB or collar button loads in the 4570. Your 4 gr. of RedDot or WW 231 will work fine.

Boolit Master

I've used cardboard wads under the balls and I've used dacron filler. I know fillers are controversial but it really helps with ignition and keep the bore and cases clean./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

I shoot a lot of round balls (backyard loads). That said, IMO your problems are mostly caused by low pressure. I like to use the largest ball I can fit in a fired UNSIZED case. I find it's best if I have to run the loaded cartridge back into the sizer just a touch to get the cartridge to chamber. This is an obvious no-no with full power loads but helps the seal and generates a little more pressure in these very light loads. I don't use fillers. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along