Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a Remington 798?

What is a Remington 798?

What is a Remington 798?
    TIA,
    Duke

Boolit Master
    I believe it is a mauser rifle made in Serbia and marketed by Remington. They are good rifles.

I dont know where they are made, but they are fine rifles and are a brand spankin new Mauser 98. All the mauser stuff fits, and the price is good.

Boolit Man

Zastava Mausers have previously been marketed as the Interarms Mark X and under the Charles Daly brand name until Remington came on the scene within the last couple of years.

Last I heard, Remington had discontinued importation - still see a lot of them around the Cabela's on "Closeout".

Very good rifles indeed! I had one of the Interarms imported Mark X 98s in 7mm Mauser back in the 70s and the only thing I didn't care for was the sliding trigger mount safety. The ones imported by Remington look to be stocked nicer than the Interarms guns.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Master

I've handled a few maybe a little ruff around the edges, stock is a little less than pleasing to look at, I think they shoot OK for the price not bad. Would make a good builder rifle.

If its a Mauser 98 style action its a good'un. They're tough solid actions.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    Think Interarms Mk X
    Zastava Yugoslavia

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Think Interarms Mk X
    Zastava Yugoslavia
    And they're currently dirt-cheap from CDNN.

The 798 features metric barrel threads, if I'm not mistaken. I've not pulled one, so I'm not certain. But the Remington 799 is the mini-Mauser from the same bunch, and I know for a fact that they're metric.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Boolit Master

Harrison and Richardson used to import the same rifle as the model 340. I've got one in .308 Winchester. Good solid sporter 98s that doesn't have the military safety, it has a two position safety along the right rear. Drilled and tapped for scope mounts already also.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by S.R.Custom View Post
    According to their catalog they only have them in .243 caliber.

Boolit Master

The 798 features metric barrel threads, if I'm not mistaken. I've not pulled one, so I'm not certain. But the Remington 799 is the mini-Mauser from the same bunch, and I know for a fact that they're metric.

Like Bullshop says... think Interarms Mark X. The 798 is based on the tried and true 98 Mauser and takes the same barrel as any standard large ring 98. The 799 or mini-Mauser isn't a real Mauser and has different threads.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    for a short time midway was listing 798 barreled actions from rem. on the site it was listed as coming soon, but now that has disapered from the site. so i guess remington dropped them. well that did'nt last long! i hope somebody else brings them back, cause there good guns.

I’ve been in manufacturing since I was 22 years old and that happened in 1977.
    Obvious to me Remington had a bunch of the college educated rich boys with not a lick of sense thinking they could put the squeeze on manufacturing. These ruling class boys have a huge disadvantage in that they have never actually worked for a living. Just listen to Bill O’Rielly on Fox News for his opinion of the lazy working class individuals.

Short of it is. The hard working people who were building the 98 Mauser rifles were showing up every work day and turning in a good effort of work. Remington comes in thinking they can improve production. Result is a part spends less time in front of any given station worker before getting pushed down the line. Real rocket science there isn’t it. Quality suffers.

If you’d ask those pretty boys what went wrong they would tell you a big story which would boil down to they could not find high quality crackers.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    Short of it is. The hard working people who were building the 98 Mauser rifles were showing up every work day and turning in a good effort of work. Remington comes in thinking they can improve production. Result is a part spends less time in front of any given station worker before getting pushed down the line.
    The only difference in "quality" I see in the barreled action, again still made in Yugoslavia by Zastava - is on the polishing/bluing on the Remington imported rifles.

Very few of the Charles Daly rifles that I've seen had a matte finish, but those that did were well done. The Remingtons looked like they spent less time in the blast cabinet.

Comparatively between the different importers of the Zastava 98's over the years:

The bolt faces are still a thousandth or two out of square to the front receiver ring.

The bolt raceway is still roughly finished, as is the trigger/cocking piece cut.

The barrels all shoot well and about the same, I've never seen one with a poor internal finish that hadn't been abused.

Back to the quality of the rifles imported by Remington - one only has to look at the stocks Remington is sticking on them here in the US when they show up.

Without a doubt, the worst wood to metal fit that I've ever seen on a $300+ production rifle.

If one was wanting to point a finger at an accountant, that would probably be a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    The 798 is based on the tried and true 98 Mauser and takes the same barrel as any standard large ring 98.
    That being the metric 28x2?

*ducks for cover*

Boolit Buddy

I may be wrong, but I read somewhere in a gunsmithing article that one of the unusual things about the 98 Mauser is the the barrel threads are actually British Whitworth threads. Because of this the dies are very expensive.

Neither the 1.1" or 1/4" threads I've had to deal with on Mausers lately are on the Whitworth Standard chart. (Although, the thread angle is a Whitworth 55°.) If I had to speculate as to what they actually are, it would be this:

At the time the Mauser actions were being hashed out designwise, Paul Mauser was trying to procure military contracts from just about everybody. I suspect that one of the features was the ability to be able to work on the Mauser rifle in a "serviceable" manner with either metric or imperial geared lathes...

If that really was the design intent, it's pure speculation on my part. But it sure seems to work out that way. I know the trigger guard screws are neither 1/4-20 nor 1/4-28, and I've seen reference works list them as 1/4-22. But those same screws will screw into my 1/4-28 thread checker... at about a 10° angle. And for expedient replacement purposes, both holes and screws seem to clean up satisfactorily with a 1/4-28 tap & die.* I've not fooled around with trying to find a 'close' metric equivalent, but I'm almost sure there is one...

As to the relevance of my comments to the original post, I suppose there is none, other than to say that because Zastava's other Mauser-like products I'm familiar with are metric, the 798 probably is as well. (As if that matters.) The reason I know the Remington 799 is metric is because the barrel on the 7.62x39 specimen I'm familiar with was so poorly dimensioned out of the box that it would not group any tighter than 5" at 100 yards and had to be replaced. Bottom line-- purchase a Remington 798 with extreme caution and keep your expectations modest.

*As usual, your mileage may vary. To date, the only Mausers I've dealt with are Turks & WWI vintage Oberndorf units.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    I’ve been in manufacturing since I was 22 years old and that happened in 1977.
    Obvious to me Remington had a bunch of the college educated rich boys with not a lick of sense thinking they could put the squeeze on manufacturing. These ruling class boys have a huge disadvantage in that they have never actually worked for a living. Just listen to Bill O’Rielly on Fox News for his opinion of the lazy working class individuals.

Short of it is. The hard working people who were building the 98 Mauser rifles were showing up every work day and turning in a good effort of work. Remington comes in thinking they can improve production. Result is a part spends less time in front of any given station worker before getting pushed down the line. Real rocket science there isn’t it. Quality suffers.

If you’d ask those pretty boys what went wrong they would tell you a big story which would boil down to they could not find high quality crackers.

What does any of this have to do with the Op's question, What is a Remington 798?

Had a 375H&H and 458 798's. Purchased them both for my son but he didnt care for the stock fit. They are very nice rifles and worth every penny of the price they were selling for at the time, and that was $499 each from CDNN.

Boolit Master

That being the metric 28x2?

*ducks for cover*

I don't know really. I have read that there was no metric standard back when the Mausers were first designed and they used the 1.1x12/55 (Whitworth?) on all large ring Mausers.

But as I said.... I really don't know. I'm not a gunsmith or a machinist.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast